Nope 67%  67%  [ 28 ]
Just display the results 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 42

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 3:43 pm

TallyMan wrote:

If you'd lived through the last few months of my mothers life as I've just outlined you wouldn't be so black and white. There is no Always. How would you feel about your life if you vomited almost everything you ate, you had to be spoon fed and could only eat food that had been blended into a thin purée, you were uncontrollably incontinent (both urine and faeces). Had to be carried to the toilet and held upright so you didn't fall over. Needed your arse wiping for you. All your hair fell out. You knew you would never walk again, never be able to do anything independent of others carrying your body to where you wanted to go, knowing you were in a slow spiral a slow death from which there was no possibility of recovery. You looked like a skin covered skeleton. Were in constant agony. Were on painkillers and morphine so strong you didn't know what day it was or started forgetting who people were. You could hardly sleep due to the pain and sometimes woke up choking on your own vomit. You slowly starved to death over several months.

There is a reason for adversity and the pain that your mother felt is not without meaning or purpose.
There is meaning and purpose behind the suffering, if she hasn't found it already.

TallyMan wrote:
Now tell me suicide is a sin or wrong "Always".

Suicide is taking the easy way out of life. Also, it's giving up on yourself and others.
The ramifications for a life wasted are tragic for both the "victim" and the "family"

Jake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm

NAKnight wrote:

There is a reason for adversity and the pain that your mother felt is not without meaning or purpose.
There is meaning and purpose behind the suffering, if she hasn't found it already.

You really should do your impression of a pompous ass professionally. Some people might even pay to see it.

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:50 pm

NAKnight wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

If you'd lived through the last few months of my mothers life as I've just outlined you wouldn't be so black and white. There is no Always. How would you feel about your life if you vomited almost everything you ate, you had to be spoon fed and could only eat food that had been blended into a thin purée, you were uncontrollably incontinent (both urine and faeces). Had to be carried to the toilet and held upright so you didn't fall over. Needed your arse wiping for you. All your hair fell out. You knew you would never walk again, never be able to do anything independent of others carrying your body to where you wanted to go, knowing you were in a slow spiral a slow death from which there was no possibility of recovery. You looked like a skin covered skeleton. Were in constant agony. Were on painkillers and morphine so strong you didn't know what day it was or started forgetting who people were. You could hardly sleep due to the pain and sometimes woke up choking on your own vomit. You slowly starved to death over several months.

TallyMan wrote:
Now tell me suicide is a sin or wrong "Always".

Suicide is taking the easy way out of life. Also, it's giving up on yourself and others.
The ramifications for a life wasted are tragic for both the "victim" and the "family"

Jake

Total and utter BS. It is clear you are talking through your ass about something you do not have the faintest idea about. You have to live through someone close going through the above to understand. All you say are pretty words that don't mean a crap when you're not the one suffering, day after day after day after day. You can't read, watch TV hold a conversation with anyone, all you can do is just lay there staring at the ceiling hoping you aren't going to s**t or piss yourself again any time soon and wanting the agonising pain to go away. No hope, nothing to look forward to except more agonising pain and humiliation from your failing body, and the same again tomorrow and the day after for several more months until you finally starve to death.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Total and utter BS. It is clear you are talking through your ass about something you do not have the faintest idea about. You have to live through someone close going through the above to understand. All you say are pretty words that don't mean a crap when you're not the one suffering, day after day after day after day. You can't read, watch TV hold a conversation with anyone, all you can do is just lay there staring at the ceiling hoping you aren't going to sh** or piss yourself again any time soon and wanting the agonising pain to go away. No hope, nothing to look forward to except more agonising pain and humiliation from your failing body, and the same again tomorrow and the day after for several more months until you finally starve to death.

Our boy NAKnight is a sweetheart, isn't he?

ruveyn

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

TallyMan wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's more a sin against nature, and a waste. Your life matters. Always.

If you'd lived through the last few months of my mothers life as I've just outlined you wouldn't be so black and white. There is no Always. How would you feel about your life if you vomited almost everything you ate, you had to be spoon fed and could only eat food that had been blended into a thin purée, you were uncontrollably incontinent (both urine and faeces). Had to be carried to the toilet and held upright so you didn't fall over. Needed your arse wiping for you. All your hair fell out. You knew you would never walk again, never be able to do anything independent of others carrying your body to where you wanted to go, knowing you were in a slow spiral a slow death from which there was no possibility of recovery. You looked like a skin covered skeleton. Were in constant agony. Were on painkillers and morphine so strong you didn't know what day it was or started forgetting who people were. You could hardly sleep due to the pain and sometimes woke up choking on your own vomit. You slowly starved to death over several months. Now tell me suicide is a sin or wrong "Always".
That's very similar to what my mom went through.

Although I think suicide is too often a waste and very sad, I have never thought it a sin, and there are times and circumstances when I think it's a reasonable course of action. We put our pets out of their misery when they're dying, we don't force them to suffer (at least most of us, I hope), why would we force another human to suffer?

I don't intend to die in agony if I can help it. If there's a god that has a problem with that, he's not on my list of "to be worshipped."

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Total and utter BS. It is clear you are talking through your ass about something you do not have the faintest idea about. You have to live through someone close going through the above to understand. All you say are pretty words that don't mean a crap when you're not the one suffering, day after day after day after day. You can't read, watch TV hold a conversation with anyone, all you can do is just lay there staring at the ceiling hoping you aren't going to sh** or piss yourself again any time soon and wanting the agonising pain to go away. No hope, nothing to look forward to except more agonising pain and humiliation from your failing body, and the same again tomorrow and the day after for several more months until you finally starve to death.

Our boy NAKnight is a sweetheart, isn't he?

ruveyn

I'm furious at his clueless insensitivity. I'm taking a break from this thread for a while before I do something stupid like abusing my mod powers and banning the dick from the site.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:00 pm

You're really rubbing salt into the wound there, NAKnight. That's not the right place to insist upon one's obligation to suffer. One is welcome to choose the same fate for their own that you demand for others regardless of context and determination however.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:03 pm

TallyMan wrote:

There's entirely too many possibilities and unfortunately we live in a dirth of information if there truly is some kind of spiritual aspect to people finding themselves in various life ordeals. That wall *might* be close to cracking at least a little but its incredibly difficult for anyone in these ordeals, if its some kind of repercussion on nonphysical consequences, to even know what to do about it let alone be held accountable for where they are. It seems like there's as many prescriptions for such situations as there are belief systems, which makes it seem even more vulture-like and offensive when any particular one does get suggested. I really deeply hope though that we do end up finding out what it all is one of these days soon because unless there's truly other side of your mom's story that's getting left out I'm sure she was a fine person, and it saddens me when people are pushed through that kind of thing with no solution available on the dashboard of their worldview that would work. At a minimum I support hospice for those who don't want supernatural/mechanical means of living, and I completely understand life-end self-termination however we as a society are always concerned about opening Pandora's box in this regard as well as still not having clarity on what happens with death as well as what kinds of consequences may come based on most recent actions. Its awful when people are held hostage by society's fears but its all the more reason that I hope we're able to clear it once and for all.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Do you fear death?

Jake

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 4:07 pm

TheValk wrote:
You're really rubbing salt into the wound there, NAKnight. That's not the right place to insist upon one's obligation to suffer. One is welcome to choose the same fate for their own that you demand for others regardless of context and determination however.

I wasn't saying it was she was "obligated" to suffer. I was saying was, through the suffering, there is meaning and purpose.
I WAS NOT saying the suffering ITSELF has meaning or purpose! Chill out!

Jake

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

TallyMan wrote:

I'm furious at his clueless insensitivity. I'm taking a break from this thread for a while before I do something stupid like abusing my mod powers and banning the dick from the site.

I think we have just experienced a HUGE breakdown is communication.
I was saying that the suffering has meaning (When sometimes it appears it does not) ! I was NOT saying your mother was obligated to suffer.
I experienced adversity and trauma too, I know how it feels! I know the feeling of pure, moral terror!

One minute you want to have a beer with me the next you call me a dick, damn.

Jake

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

I'm not angry... But if I were TallyMan, I wouldn't be nearly as much in control of myself as he is capable of being.

techstepgenr8tion, are you referring to making sense out of suffering? Because that's one idea that's been on my mind for ages now.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

@TallyMan

Have you ever walked into the ICU room to see your close friend strapped to life support?
Have you ever wondered if the pain that she felt was horrific or if any at all.
Have you ever looked into the eyes of someone you have admired and all you see is cold, lifeless beady eyes?
Do you know the feeling of one day talking to a close friend and the other day, getting a call that she is dead.
Do you know that experience?

I'm not talking out of my ass. Call me a dick, hell call me what you want. Ban me, hell I wont care.

I know that s**t. I know that s**t gets real, real quick.
I'm trying to not buy into the "Gloom and Doom" mentality that surrounds this thread.
I have conviction that every human life has purpose and meaning.
Suicide wastes that purpose and meaning. You do not need to lecture me on pain and suffering, I know it well.
My life has purpose and meaning, your mother's has purpose and meaning and even on her death bed.
Your life has meaning and purpose.

I'm not trying to be "Sweet" to anyone. I'm a nice guy, personally I don't like to be f****d with. I would like to expect the same from others.

I will say this as well, it was YOU who wrote that out of anger, not Jake.
YOU opened YOURSELF up to be confronted and offered a different position, not me.
Your letting those situations define who you are and you need it let it go.

Jake

Last edited by NAKnight on 12 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Nothing is a sin.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:52 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Nothing is a sin.

Well, torture, murder, genocide - the list goes on and on - I think would more than fit the bill.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

I have several family members that committed suicide,I don't judge them,some things are intolerable.I have thought about it,it's not a sin.For me it would be a mistake, but for others the right choice.It's not a sin,it's a choice.Maybe right,maybe wrong,but a choice.