Hate crime statistics deflate "Islamophobia" myth

Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:28 pm

anongamer wrote:
Wearing the nijab means you are separating yourself from society. If you want to live so separate from society, why do you expect them to be inclusive of you when it suits you?

Exactly. Anyone wearing that garment in person who wants to talk to me gets ignored. Simple as that.

If you're talking to me in person, at least give me the courtesy of seeing your face.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

thomas81 wrote:
The hijab and the burkha are two seperate things.

What about the niqab, the black tent of Islamic doom? That is quite commonly worn here. The burqa is never seen, and the hijab is quite often worn here too. Then you have the jilbab (which makes Muslim women look like nuns).

thomas81 wrote:
The burkha is the scarf which covers everything but the eyes. Typically they are worn by no one but the most conservative of muslim housewives.

I've almost never seen anyone wear the burqa here.

thomas81 wrote:
Most orthodox muslim women wear only the hijab which leaves the oval of the face visible.

Niqab-wearing is not uncommon here.

thomas81 wrote:
I see no reason why a hijab wearer should be excluded from applying from a high profile management job or equivalent, much less the rest of society. The only reason could be wilfull ignorance and bigotry.

No, hijab-wearers shouldn't be excluded from a job, although they might find that people stare at them (because it's not usual) and some Muslim women abandon it for that reason. We're not on about the hijab or even the jilbab here, we're on about the black postbox garment thing.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

Tequila wrote:

I've heard this speech before. I think it's absolutely despicable.

And, yes, in Islam, a woman being raped is always the woman's fault, it seems.

The fervently held Muslim view is not only anti-woman. It is anti-human.

Dealing with devout jihadi type Muslims is like trying to deal with The Black Knight in -Monty Python and the Holy Grail-.

The Jihadi is essentially a malign force of nature without mind and without pity. It cannot be reasoned with. It is inhuman and inhumane.

ruveyn

ruveyn

anongamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

thomas81 wrote:
The hijab and the burkha are two seperate things. The burkha is the scarf which covers everything but the eyes. Typically they are worn by no one but the most conservative of muslim housewives. Most orthodox muslim women wear only the hijab which leaves the oval of the face visible. I see no reason why a hijab wearer should be excluded from applying from a high profile management job or equivalent, much less the rest of society. The only reason could be wilfull ignorance and bigotry.

I said nijab. (only the eyes) The video was about nijab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niq%C4%81b

The whole islamic brotherhood movement in Egypt and the Middle East is about making the Nijab compulsory.

Though like I said in Australia, depends on the culture. In all of the medium sized businesses that I and other people I know have worked for, Friday night drinks and other social functions is a BIG thing here. Knowing that a particular person (wearing the hijab, long beard or other outward symbols of islam no matter how minor) you hire will not be a participant in them will be a big factor of them not being hired (for a management role).

Last edited by anongamer on 12 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

anongamer wrote:
In all of the medium sized businesses that I and other people I know have worked for, Friday night drinks and other social functions is a BIG thing here.

Two pints of Old, please!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:

It's like a black force of death, sucking up anything around it like poison and leaving but the ugly cloak of poverty, bigotry and superstition in its wake.

It is every bit as evil as the lunatic factions of Christianity that dominated Europe like an evil shroud centuries ago, and probably a little more besides.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

It's like a black force of death, sucking up anything around it like poison and leaving but the ugly cloak of poverty, bigotry and superstition in its wake.

It is every bit as evil as the lunatic factions of Christianity that dominated Europe like an evil shroud centuries ago, and probably a little more besides.

If I believed in the Devil I would say Islam is the Devil's doing. It is an evil thing disguised as being the will of a supposedly good God.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

Thread sounds as if it is telling Muslims to be happy they aren't being killed.

Only in America.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:57 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Remember though that Christianity has a 600 year head start and has become mostly tolerated and embedded into our social infrastructure.

Are you saying Islam does not deserve the same time to transition?

My deviant art profile

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:11 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Remember though that Christianity has a 600 year head start and has become mostly tolerated and embedded into our social infrastructure.

Actually, no it doesn't because this is the 21st century, not the 7th century. Just because Christianity is 600 years older than Islam doesn't mean that it should take Islamic culture 600 years longer to transition to a more modern culture.

anongamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

thomas81 wrote:

No it doesn't. Look at the birth rates (muslim vs non-muslim).

In 2 generations there will be more muslims than non-muslims in the western world.

Something drastic needs to be done in the next 50 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

anongamer wrote:

No it doesn't. Look at the birth rates (muslim vs non-muslim).

In 2 generations there will be more muslims than non-muslims in the western world.

So what? Why is that a problem?

If muslims do become the majority I don't care as long as they respect the unalienable right of myself and of my family to live how we see fit.

Countries like Turkey, Tunisia and the UAE have islamic majorities but still respect the lifestyle choices of non muslims.

The laughable thing is someone starts a thread on the 'myth' of islamaphobia and soon after someone makes a post like yours. Its really down to wordplay on the part of racists because 'muslim' is more vanilla and palatable to mainstream society than 'paki'.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Thread sounds as if it is telling Muslims to be happy they aren't being killed.

Only in America.

No, what it means is that the endless bleating about "Islamophobia" from Islamist terrorist sympathisers isn't justified. Hatred of Muslims for being Muslims isn't a particularly unusual or special prejudice and it doesn't deserve a special word. "Religious intolerance" would be a better term.

You never hear of "Christianophobia" in real life (although, God bless Wikipedia, it does include a page on it), even though attacks on Christians do occur, particularly in Muslim countries but also occasionally in Christian countries too - sometimes by Muslims, but sometimes not. Neo-Nazis and others (like black metal fruitcakes) have also been responsible for attacks on churches, especially in Norway.

Last edited by Tequila on 12 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:27 pm

thomas81 wrote:
So what? Why is that a problem?

Because the Islamic way of life, legal codes, customs, rules and so on will become prominent. In essence, Europe would become an Islamic society rather than a nominally Christian one. This is no good for freedom.

If you want to live in an Islamic state where Muslims aggressively persecute non-Muslims (as has been shown throughout history), be my guest. Most people don't want that sort of future, and I think that mass immigration should be halted.

I can't think of any Muslim countries I'd like to live in. There are definitely some that are more liberal than others, and they're not all the same by a long shot (Turkish liberals are a lot different from Saudi Salafists), but I still wouldn't want to live in one.

And stop accusing people of racism where there isn't one. I've said many times that I have no truck with racism or racist politics, and bringing it in does nothing other than stifle free and legitimate debate.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:40 pm

Tequila wrote:

Because the Islamic way of life, legal codes, customs, rules and so on will become prominent. In essence, Europe would become an Islamic society rather than a nominally Christian one. This is no good for freedom.

You seem to be under the belief that Islamic culture (which is in itself partly a misnomer since Islam covers many nations) became predominantly pertinent in the UK or elsewhere this would somehow represent a dilution of western values. I dont necessarilly believe this would happen. The holy Roman empire, rather than persecute or annilhate Christians amalgamated it into their own way of life. This is no way made them 'less' Roman or traitorous to their heritage.

Has it occured to you that perhaps the reason Christianity matured is because it spread and was accepted by other cultures? It will likely be the case that Islam needs the embrace of western cultures to shed itself of the values which certain scaremongers find so unpalatable. The problem with Islam today, as was the problem with Christianity of yore was scriptural believers who took the books literally, word for word.
Tequila wrote:
If you want to live in an Islamic state where Muslims aggressively persecute non-Muslims (as has been shown throughout history), be my guest. Most people don't want that sort of future, and I think that mass immigration should be halted.

I do not want to live in such a state, please do not put your own spin on my words. I am simply saying that if the West became a muslim majority (which i dont necessarilly believe will happen anyway) it will not necessarilly represent the pre renaissance backwards dystopia you are portraying.

Tequila wrote:

And stop accusing people of racism where there isn't one. I've said many times that I have no truck with racism or racist politics, and bringing it in does nothing other than stifle free and legitimate debate.

It was a general observation not aimed at anyone in particular. The BNP of late years used exactly the same exploitation of words because they knew that muslims were not protected as a group under the same hate speech legislation that Jews are.

Well we all know what they are about don't we. Whenever I see such tactics being played, I call it out.

My deviant art profile

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

thomas81 wrote:
You seem to be under the belief that Islamic culture (which is in itself partly a misnomer since Islam covers many nations) became predominantly pertinent in the UK or elsewhere this would somehow represent a dilution of western values. I dont necessarilly believe this would happen. The holy Roman empire, rather than persecute or annilhate Christians amalgamated it into their own way of life. This is no way made them 'less' Roman or traitorous to their heritage.

The Romans did persecute the early Christians long enough before swallowing them up to give birth to proto-Catholicism.