Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

He'll be working until next February 28th. After that he is planning to retire and a new Pope will be hired under new employment conditions. Confidential sources said that Heaven is under austerity cutbacks due to the crisis and can't afford current Pope's salary :lol:

More info:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-11/p ... ia/4513244

Music [waiting for the new slight lyrics change]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUH2YSFlVU

Last edited by Greb on 11 Feb 2013, 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:26 am

I wonder if Benedict's contract included a non-disclosure agreement.

If not, then the Devil might have a lucrative job offer for him.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:26 am

An obsolete man resigns from an obsolete institution. In fact, religion as a whole is obsolete. I wonder if it's the scandals that really made him step down. I don't buy the "advanced age" excuse. After all, popes are supposed to be popes until they die.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:38 am

I wonder if he's going senile and that's the reason he's been "advised" to move aside before he does something highly embarrassing in public. :P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

TallyMan wrote:
I wonder if he's going senile and that's the reason he's been "advised" to move aside before he does something highly embarrassing in public. :P

They might as well permanently abolish the office of Pope in that case. ;)

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Feb 2013, 11:50 am

No, I think it was performance-related, not austerity. The problem is that Jesus is a pot-smoking homosexual who supports abortion rights and doesn't believe in Holy War against Islam. This ex-Nazi insulted his boss one too many times.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:02 pm

I thought he was a pretty good Pope. God bless and I hope for him the best.

Just the only problem is according to some random Catholic monk a long time ago, Benedict is the second to last pope, the next pope is supposed to be like the Anti-Christ and destroy the Catholic Church or something.

Personally I wish for Uniat between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches again, and not having Rome proclaim itself as Supreme Overlord of All Things Christian, and just having the Roman Catholic Church be the Roman Catholic Church.

But overall, Benedict was a good Pope, I liked his conservatism and the fact he was friendly to traditionalists.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

1000Knives wrote:
But overall, Benedict was a good Pope, I liked his conservatism and the fact he was friendly to traditionalists.

Problem is he was friendly to the "traditionalists" who raped young boys, and the "traditionalists" that helped cover it up. Cardinal Mahony in Los Angeles who retired as head of the LA archdiosese was stripped of his public duties at the archdiosese by the current archbishop there only after documents were released showing he conspired to protect child-abusing priests from Law Enforcement. This minor "punishment" was undertaken only after the church lost a decades long fight to keep these documents sealed - not because Mahony did something wrong, only because the Church could not hide that fact any longer. This under Pope Benedict's so-called "leadership". Now Mahony will be off to Rome to participate in the Conclave that will elect the new pope. Its no wonder the place continues to be a rats nest of pedophiles with less moral standing than a common street walker, and yet over a billion people willingly live their lives by what these guys say.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:59 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Just the only problem is according to some random Catholic monk a long time ago, Benedict is the second to last pope, the next pope is supposed to be like the Anti-Christ and destroy the Catholic Church or something.

Don't worry for that. If Catholic church could survive Benedict, I seriously doubt that anybody else could destroy it.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

Spot on, ScrewyWabbit.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 2:32 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Problem is he was friendly to the "traditionalists" who raped young boys, and the "traditionalists" that helped cover it up. Cardinal Mahony in Los Angeles who retired as head of the LA archdiosese was stripped of his public duties at the archdiosese by the current archbishop there only after documents were released showing he conspired to protect child-abusing priests from Law Enforcement. This minor "punishment" was undertaken only after the church lost a decades long fight to keep these documents sealed - not because Mahony did something wrong, only because the Church could not hide that fact any longer. This under Pope Benedict's so-called "leadership". Now Mahony will be off to Rome to participate in the Conclave that will elect the new pope. Its no wonder the place continues to be a rats nest of pedophiles with less moral standing than a common street walker, and yet over a billion people willingly live their lives by what these guys say.

I was talking about St. Pius X churches and him allowing the Tridentine mass to be read in churches without reprisal.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 3:12 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

I was talking about St. Pius X churches and him allowing the Tridentine mass to be read in churches without reprisal.

Fair enough but my point would be that if you want to evaluate if he was a good or a bad Pope, its necessary to consider the totality of what he did and did not do. I'm not Catholic and I do not follow the inner workings of the Catholic church, but I fail to comprehend what he possibly could have done that would not be completely and utterly overshadowed by the shameful and cowardly handling of the priest child abuse scandals - handling that continued under his watch. He could have done something, if only to punish those responsible if for no other reason than to send a message of intolerance for that kind of behavior. Instead, priests who raped children are allowed to remain priests. Bishops and Cardinals who helped cover it up and hide it from law enforcement are allowed to remain Bishops and Cardinals in good standing with little or no punishment, and now those same cardinals get to participate in the election of the next Pope. Gee, I wonder if those Cardinals are going to vote for someone who won't tolerate this kind of B.S., or instead if they will again selfishly protect their own interests ahead of the interests of young boys? Based on past behavior, the answer is pretty clear.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

1000Knives wrote:

The Tridentine mass has never been officially prohibited, so I'm not sure what you mean with 'reprisals'. If a priest wanted to continue the Tridentine rite, they could get an indult. That didn't change with the motu proprio of Ratzinger; priests still have to request an indult. The only difference is that parishioners can now ask their priest to get an indult. Very few did in Europe.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

Lol, don't you guy's know? Its Petrus Romanus time! (needs a Peanutbutter Jelly parody).

They might as well just name the successor Peter II. The cat's been out of the bag since the 1590's. Also for those hoping 'the black pope' means the first African in the papacy - sorry to burst their bubble, different kind of black.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

As I understand it, Benedict had allowed Catholic fundamentalists, who not only believe in the sole use of the Latin mass, but also that there is no salvation outside Catholicism, back into the Catholic Church. Now, I grew up with Catholic guys, and still count them as close friends, but I have to draw the line at these Latin spewing fundies who say my wife, daughter, and I am going to hell, and that both my parents who have shuffled off this mortal coil are already there. That, and as a Lutheran, it was this Latin church that my ancestors had rebelled against back in the 16th century. And so it's hard not to respond with hostility toward these people's hostility toward me and my own.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 8:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Now, I grew up with Catholic guys, and still count them as close friends, but I have to draw the line at these Latin spewing fundies who say my wife, daughter, and I am going to hell, and that both my parents who have shuffled off this mortal coil are already there.

I am looking forward to Hell. I have heard so much about it. :D