Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Should the USA ban these 8 items in food?
Yes, all of them 54%  54%  [ 15 ]
Some yes, some no 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
None of them should be banned in the USA 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 28

PM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 10:02 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
PM wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
I am Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I simply dont know else you meant that with the starting of "It is the parents responsibility to know what they are feeding their children, not mine, not yours, and not anyone else's. " It sounded for me, that children should be doomed to their parents, and others are not allowed to influence in any way.

I am sorry, if I misunderstood you, and you meant it the exact opposite way, but then I really dont understand your starting sentence?

I'm saying that you, first and foremost, are responsible for what you're children consume, not the government.

So if someone does a crime on me, a grown up person, at least able to defend myself in some situations, I have the right that the government helps me as well. But if someone absolutly helpless gets poisoned by its parents, the government shall watch and do nothing, because of that person being completely helpless?

How can you possibly use two completely different situations to argue in support of the nanny state?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:47 am

abacacus wrote:
Arsenic, however? Or vegetables modified to produce pesticides themselves? Where are the benefits? It's just poison, it *will* kill you.

That's the thing, I don't know, I have to rely on the word of experts, and they frequently change their minds and or give conflicting information; for all I know, trace amounts of arsenic have some benefit, as this really is not my area of expertise. What I'm getting at is that you can't really make blanket statements or snap judgments with this stuff, especially when the science itself is so conflicted. Remember the Absinthe ban?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 4:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Arsenic, however? Or vegetables modified to produce pesticides themselves? Where are the benefits? It's just poison, it *will* kill you.

That's the thing, I don't know, I have to rely on the word of experts, and they frequently change their minds and or give conflicting information; for all I know, trace amounts of arsenic have some benefit, as this really is not my area of expertise. What I'm getting at is that you can't really make blanket statements or snap judgments with this stuff, especially when the science itself is so conflicted. Remember the Absinthe ban?

I thought the Absinthe ban was bull too, until I saw a few of my friends drink it. Something in it didn't like them. Five day hangovers. Allergic to something in it was our best bet, and this was modern Absinthe (far less potent then to good old stuff).

You will reap what you've sown.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:20 am

Nope, classic absinth was really quiet poisonous and brain damaging, so it wasnt forbidden out of fun. Additional it was in earlier times so dangerous, because of it being produced "by hand", so there was a broad variation, just as every "collection of wine" gets a bit else, according to weather, used plants, wine-brewer, .... So drinking absinth was very similar to using magic mushrooms. A small amount can be quiet fun, but because of it being a natural product, you only know after digesting, if you got a small amount. So beside the alcohol itself, influencing the brain, additional the typical absinth ingredient is as well influencing the brain and causing imaginations and other stuff. Nice, for an small amount, but just like magic mushrooms to much gives you a bad trip. Too much bad trips - good chances for getting psychoses and phobias.

Todays official produced absinth is not that problem, because of it being controlled and tested before sold, so the quality and amount of nutrients stays average around the same level, so you can simply try small amounts and slowly increase, relying on the experiences before. Additional absinth nowadays has better quality, earlier sorts often were brewed in non professional ways, and so methanol often was in it, that is simply highly poisonous without any benefit. as every US-homebrewer can tell you as well.

So nowadays "modern" absinth from professional brewers - no problem as long as not used to often, and being careful with testing the "right amount". But nope, if some prolls try to get you into "Ugha, got an REAL homebrewed illegal Absinth from romania or ucraine...." you should refuse, because its simply gambling with your brain.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 2:54 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Nope, classic absinth was really quiet poisonous and brain damaging, so it wasnt forbidden out of fun. Additional it was in earlier times so dangerous, because of it being produced "by hand", so there was a broad variation, just as every "collection of wine" gets a bit else, according to weather, used plants, wine-brewer, .... So drinking absinth was very similar to using magic mushrooms. A small amount can be quiet fun, but because of it being a natural product, you only know after digesting, if you got a small amount. So beside the alcohol itself, influencing the brain, additional the typical absinth ingredient is as well influencing the brain and causing imaginations and other stuff. Nice, for an small amount, but just like magic mushrooms to much gives you a bad trip. Too much bad trips - good chances for getting psychoses and phobias.

Todays official produced absinth is not that problem, because of it being controlled and tested before sold, so the quality and amount of nutrients stays average around the same level, so you can simply try small amounts and slowly increase, relying on the experiences before. Additional absinth nowadays has better quality, earlier sorts often were brewed in non professional ways, and so methanol often was in it, that is simply highly poisonous without any benefit. as every US-homebrewer can tell you as well.

So nowadays "modern" absinth from professional brewers - no problem as long as not used to often, and being careful with testing the "right amount". But nope, if some prolls try to get you into "Ugha, got an REAL homebrewed illegal Absinth from romania or ucraine...." you should refuse, because its simply gambling with your brain.

The thing is, properly made old Absinthe wasn't poisonous... just very alcoholic. The only active ingredient (in modern or old absinthe) is alcohol, by the way. There are no hallucinogenic properties.

You will reap what you've sown.