Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

babybird wrote:
If some murdering bastard took my child and made her suffer before he/she killed her, then I would want them to suffer.

I couldn't really give two shiny shites about two wrongs not making a right or any other f***ing human rights BS.

If some murdering bastard took my parents or siblings or other family members or other people that I love or like and made them suffer before he/she killed them, then I would want them to suffer, too.

But my principles of human rights weights more than my personal opinion in these regards, that's why I'd rather want
a state to take care of the matter and simply carry out the neccessary means to prevent them from murdering again, keeping human rights intact, and keeping me
from killing the bastard.

It's easy to say that now when it haven't happened, but I would be more afraid of losing my ethical principles.

There are a lot of times when I wish other people dead for less.
I get afraid of myself.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

Well like I say, it's just my opinion.

Human rights are for humans, and as I said before I believe that certain members of society are not human.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

Do it the old fashioned way....

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

I am absolutely against the death penalty. That the government can ultimately lay claim to your life, I believe, is inconsistent with the principles of libertarianism, and it is not an effective deterrent to crime. In fact, it may even incentivize a criminal to kill or further harm a victim if they have nothing to lose in order to escape possible punishment. Never mind the expense.

If someone killed a person close to me, I would want them to be punished to the maximum extent that the law permits; but I do not believe that capital punishment should be a part of that.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

Raptor wrote:

>Believes that the government is incapable of doing anything right.
>Believes that the government is capable of deciding who should be killed.

Pick one.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Pick one.

If you have a case where guilt is proved to an absolute certainty, there is no problem with capital punishment.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Pick one.

Better than the alternative; a lynch mob as a result of vigilante justice.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm

I have a hard time believing people when they say "what if somebody in your family got hurt, you would want that person dead!"

My mother and stepfather always said that child molesters deserved the death penalty.

Then they find out that my aunt is one of those child molesters, and that she sexually abused both me, my sister, and her own children.

Their tune changed pretty f*****g quickly then. My aunt suddenly became a victim of such a horrible upbringing, and I became a horrible person for suggesting that she faced the consequences of her action.

My point is, it is very easy for people to say that a lot of people deserve capital punishment until one of those people end up being close to them.

For the record, I believe that my aunt deserves a lifetime in a civil commitment center, living the rest of her life locked up alongside other sexually violent predators. But that is never going to happen.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm

Actually, if a family member/relative of mine were a child molester I'd tie the hangman's noose for them. Hell, I'd even pay for the rope!
I'm serious.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 9:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Pick one.

Better than the alternative; a lynch mob as a result of vigilante justice.

Ironic that you would choose the noose as your favorite method.

modcom77
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2014, 9:59 pm

I feel instead of the death penalty for murderers, we should use life imprisonment because it causes insanity and a slow breakdown of their humanity. We have no evidence that Hell exists, but with life imprisonment we can make their time a living one, just as it is for the family of the murdered. When one is sentenced to life in prison, he has nothing to live for anymore, but we are making him live anyways, to feel the pain and emptiness of those close to the one he murdered. I feel this is a more satisfying punishment than the death penalty, which I feel is the easy way out, just as suicide bombers are cowards.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Ironic that you would choose the noose as your favorite method.

Andy why, may I ask, is that?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 6:43 am

I think hanging is a good form of punishment, it symbolizes something too.

They ought to do it publicly.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 7:25 am

*sigh*

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I have no problems with the death penalty when:

2.) The crime is deserving (rape, murder)

Raptor wrote:
Actually, if a family member/relative of mine were a child molester I'd tie the hangman's noose for them.

Please allow me to repeat myself. I'm a man of copy and paste.

GGPViper wrote:
Offender concerns

1. Man rapes victim.
2. Man is left with a choice: (A) kill victim or (B) let victim live.

(A) has the advantage of eliminating a testimony which would put the rapist at risk of being convicted. If he also gets rid of the body, there is no physical evidence and little to no chance that he will be convicted.

(B) has the advantage that rape is a lesser crime than murder, and should he be convicted, he would face a lighter sentence if he decided to let the victim live.

If one introduces the death penalty for rape, or any sentence which differs little from the sentence for murder, one is actually encouraging rapists to kill their victims.

Furthermore, since psychopathy seems to be more prevalent among convicted rapists (I have found figures ranging from 12 to 40 percent based on US data) than among the general population (estimated at approx. 1 percent), one would expect the average rapist to display more psychopathic traits than the average Joe.

And the current research suggests that psychopaths tend to overestimate rewards compared to punishments. A psychopath would thus be more likely to appreciate action A (the potential of walking away free = pure reward) compared to action B (getting a lighter sentence = less punishment).

Victim concerns

Assume that there was indeed a zero tolerance policy towards rape which resulted in the death penalty.

How would a rape victim then react if he or she believed that the offender should be punished, but that the offender should not be put to death? The only viable option would then be not to report the rape in the first place...

Imagine for instance a sexual assault against a child (which is usually the scenario where the call for the death penalty surfaces most frequently). These assaults often involve family members or close acquaintances. Are we to believe that a child would report a brother, father or uncle knowing that they would get the needle?

Summary

Imposing the death penalty for sexual assault would introduce an incentive for escalating the crime, and it would introduce a disincentive against reporting the crime.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

people who wish to commit suicide and who are also grandiose are able to have themselves killed and make it look like it was someone elses fault.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 3:33 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:

Why are they still executing the mentally disabled? The US Supreme court outlawed that in 2002 and the guy has an IQ of 70. But I guess states still break that law and that is something I find annoying and have a problem with.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.