Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:05 am

Indiana is one of the few states that currently prohibits the sale of alcohol at the State fair. A new proposed Bill would change that long standing rationality in the near future.

Yes we all know it is not possible to have fun and enjoy ourselves without getting shitfaced drunk. And what says Family Values better than allowing sales of alcohol at a venue which is basically planned around activities centered on young people.

Hey, this is a Conservative state so who cares about Family Values when there is money to be made, eh. Do we anticipate that the religion of Family Values will be making an objection to this proposal? My bet is that the Church of Family Values will be first in line to have licensed beer sales are established at the state fair.

Anyone who doesn't have a flag tattooed on their penis have a problem with this proposal?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:06 am

I would suspect this is just for grandstand events, yes? People spilling beer on each other at booths and rides does not make any sense.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:17 am

leejosepho wrote:
I would suspect this is just for grandstand events, yes? People spilling beer on each other at booths and rides does not make any sense.

Dunno, I haven't been to a fair in about thirty years, but our local county fair went through this hullabuloo about 7 years ago when they first started to eliminate the beer tents. The locals went batshit crazy that someone would deny them the opportunity to get shitfaced in public in front of kiddies. On that occasion the batshit crazy crowd won. Its all about revenue.

and any excuse to get drunk in public, but don't dare fire up a blunt or you be in the pokie for 20 years

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:47 am

Quote:
The State Fair Commission will be in charge of crafting a responsible program of alcohol sales at the fair, including location, hours and more.

Fair officials have said the fair would focus on the agricultural link to Indiana wine, beer and spirits in an exposition limited to those 21 and older – akin to a beer garden. Alcohol would have to be consumed in the confined area, meaning it could not be carried around the fair.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... /140229536

"...focus on the agricultural link to Indiana wine, beer and spirits..."

Yep, whatever it takes to rationalize a bit of revenue...

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

As long as they don't sell to children, what is the problem?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

khaoz wrote:
Indiana is one of the few states that currently prohibits the sale of alcohol at the State fair. A new proposed Bill would change that long standing rationality in the near future.

Yes we all know it is not possible to have fun and enjoy ourselves without getting shitfaced drunk. And what says Family Values better than allowing sales of alcohol at a venue which is basically planned around activities centered on young people.

Hey, this is a Conservative state so who cares about Family Values when there is money to be made, eh. Do we anticipate that the religion of Family Values will be making an objection to this proposal? My bet is that the Church of Family Values will be first in line to have licensed beer sales are established at the state fair.

Anyone who doesn't have a flag tattooed on their penis have a problem with this proposal?

First off, it is a proposed bill which means it hasn't even got to the point where it's voted on.
I've been at several public events (car shows, air shows, etc) that had beer booths. Very rarely have I seen anyone shitfaced and the very few that were would have been, anyway. One or two or even three beers doesnt come close to making a beer drinker shitfaced.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

A friend from Wisconsin said they had beer at the state fair,and at church on bingo night in the basement.
The majority of people just want a beer or two.If I had to listen to all that noise at the fair I'd want several.People sneak pints into events like this all the time.People puke on rides all the time even if they had nothing to drink,maybe they ate a giant funnel cake before getting on the roller coaster and up it comes.
I'm sure it's about revenue,but it is a good way to male some extra bucks.One of the church's was selling beer at the farmers market in St.Louis to make some extra money.I thought it was pretty cool.The best beer was at a Scottish festival,everyone was drinking,I didn't see anyone get trashed and there were no cops milling around either.A big thumbs up for Schafly's Scottish ale.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

The tendency in this world is to be unruly and violent at sporting events. I see this on TV. Some events are more violent than others. Some become violent during the event, some afterwards. This seems to apply to some sports more than others. In many countries it's a sacred tradition. Is this not true in your world as well?

Would alcohol, or more alcohol, improve or add to the above????? Seems like a "no brainer" answer for anyone besides confirmed alcoholics or greedy people who don't care about any outcome besides the monetary benefit to themselves.

So now Indiana is ready to squander what it's worked hard to preserve? The tragic thing about moral backsliding is that it's almost impossible to reverse once put in motion. Sorry, Indiana.

denny

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm

^^That because you are dealing with jocks.They are unruly and violent even when not drinking.Remember high school.
They serve spirits at art exhibits,and of course wine tastings.Ever hear of people getting unruly at the museum or at a play?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

ZenDen wrote:
The tendency in this world is to be unruly and violent at sporting events. I see this on TV. Some events are more violent than others. Some become violent during the event, some afterwards. This seems to apply to some sports more than others. In many countries it's a sacred tradition. Is this not true in your world as well?

Would alcohol, or more alcohol, improve or add to the above????? Seems like a "no brainer" answer for anyone besides confirmed alcoholics or greedy people who don't care about any outcome besides the monetary benefit to themselves.

So now Indiana is ready to squander what it's worked hard to preserve? The tragic thing about moral backsliding is that it's almost impossible to reverse once put in motion. Sorry, Indiana.

denny

A state fair is not a sporting event.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm

Raptor wrote:
khaoz wrote:

First off, it is a proposed bill which means it hasn't even got to the point where it's voted on.
I've been at several public events (car shows, air shows, etc) that had beer booths. Very rarely have I seen anyone shitfaced and the very few that were would have been, anyway. One or two or even three beers doesnt come close to making a beer drinker shitfaced.

This is Indiana, a red state I was born and raised here. People will burn the mansion down if the proposal fails. They would boycott the fair. That's why they are Conservatives. I have watched their insanity for 50 years. Alcohol is too big here.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 3:36 pm

What’s at issue here is choice. Liberals crow about being pro choice when it suits them, but the truth is, they believe people are too stupid to make rational and responsible personal choices. So they expect the government to make them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 4:45 pm

What? There's still a state that doesn't have beer at the fair?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
What’s at issue here is choice. Liberals crow about being pro choice when it suits them, but the truth is, they believe people are too stupid to make rational and responsible personal choices. So they expect the government to make them.

Many conservatives seem to think people are too immoral to make moral decisions so they want the government to involve itself in peoples personal lives to prevent immorality and drug use. Both sides are flawed it would seem.

As for the thread topic, if the alcohol is not being served to kids I don't really see the problem of having it available for adults. Doesn't mean people should get s*** faced some might but I don't think the solution should be 'then no one can have any beer'.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

There's always one person that's total shitfaced either at the fair, Frontier City or Turner Falls. Hahaha.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:47 pm

I've been going to an annual airshow, where beer is available, for over 40 years now. I've never seen anybody shitfaced there, but if it did happen I'm sure the plentiful police could handle the situation. And if my kid saw a drunk person it would be my opportunity to talk to him about the dangers of alcohol abuse. What's the problem exactly?