Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:45 am

When I was walking to work at 8:30 on Saturday morning, I walked into two religious people.

The man asked me if I would like to join in with the celebrations of Jesus's death, to which I replied "Why, when did he die"?

I think he thought that I had only just heard the news.

Anyway, they turned out to be the Jehovah Witness people.

I took the leaflet off them, but I probably wont go.

It'll probably be a recruitment day.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:54 am

babybird wrote:
I took the leaflet off them, but I probably wont go.

It'll probably be a recruitment day.

It will most likely be just that. You would no doubt find them friendly people but you would need to leave your brain at home and not expect any coherent/sensible responses to any questions you ask.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 6:06 am

I remember many years ago in Manchester getting invited to hear some kind of talk.

I was wondering the streets at the time and I must have looked like an easy target.

Anyway, I went along, just out of curiosity and it was nothing but brainwashery.

They weren't the JW's.

Looking back, I think they had something to do with David Koresh.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:25 am

7th Day Adventist?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
7th Day Adventist?

Yes, I think so.

I might be wrong, it was in the early 90's.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

babybird wrote:
The man asked me if I would like to join in with the celebrations of Jesus's death, to which I replied "Why, when did he die"?

I think he thought that I had only just heard the news.

The best response I've heard to JW's and the like knocking on your door went like this:
GodSquad: Hello - we'd like to talk to you about Jesus.
Response: Oh no... what's he gone and done now?! :roll:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 8:05 am

I thought that Easter was the only Holiday that the Jehovah's Witnesses celebrated. It turns out that they don't celebrate Easter, either.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses ... te-easter/

So, you're probably not going to get a free meal, either.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 9:11 am

I've got a big black velvet robe that I found at the thrift store,it's even got a hood and the flared sleeves,I always wanted to open the door for the Witnesses' wearing that and with my Ball Python wrapped around my neck.But they don't come back here anymore,maybe gas costs to much.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:43 am

A few weeks ago, a JW came to my door, asked me my name, and left some literature. I suppose because I was polite and took his tract, he showed up again last week, this time with his very cute wife accompanying him. Again, I took their religious info they offered, and was polite. I can only think that being nice only encourages them.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 10:47 am

I knew a Baptist lady who would argue the Bible with them and try to convert them to her religion. They never went back to her place a second time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm

babybird wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
7th Day Adventist?

Yes, I think so.

More likely they were Moonies.

That was the heydey of Moonyism.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
I knew a Baptist lady who would argue the Bible with them and try to convert them to her religion. They never went back to her place a second time.

They used to visit me in my youth at the time when I was investigating God, reading the bible and also studying the sciences. They gave me lots of literature to read, which I went through then had lots of discussions with them. Most of which showed they were ignorant about science, evolution, age of the earth, dinosaurs and pretty much everything else related to the physical world. They gave up visiting me after some time as they were starting to run out of answers and frankly they were getting exasperated & embarrassed at not being able to provide adequate answers to my questions. They like people with limited intellect and knowledge who they can easily brainwash and suck into their fold.

Nowadays I don't have time for their nonsense and more or less tell them I'm not interested and close the door on them. Showing interest is a good way to get them coming back again.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2014, 1:27 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
I thought that Easter was the only Holiday that the Jehovah's Witnesses celebrated. It turns out that they don't celebrate Easter, either.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses ... te-easter/

So, you're probably not going to get a free meal, either.

Correct, and the details of why are fairly horrid to their own members.

It's worse than a recruitment day. It's effectively their annual census occasion for counting how many witnesses there are in the world. If you go, you will be counted in the numbers they will publish.

It's a very weird occasion so I have read. It's their form of Easter, their annual remembering of the Last Supper as supposedly commanded by Jesus, and it's the only time when they have Communion. But while the cult's leadership actually take communion, in nearly every ordinary congregation you will pass around real bread and wine which will go to waste because nobody is allowed to actually take it!

You are only allowed to take it if they think you belong to a special selected elite of 144 000 people, interpreted from Revelation, who have been selected to go to heaven. Only a few older Witnesses are believed to be these. The belief that they are translated into a spirit life when they die is an interesting and entertaining total contradiction of the rants against spiritualism and spirit existence of the dead, the pushing of an atheist-type brain materialist position and instruction to think all evidence for spirit existence really comes from demons! that fills Witness recruitment books.

By going to this pointless non-meal and not taking any communion, the ordinary Witness shows they accept a more lowly afterlife than their leaders. They "observe" the elite celebrate the feast without taking any part in the feast themselves, it means they only expect to be magicked back to life physically on Earth again after armageddon.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 2:02 pm

I did not know the rank and file JW's were not allowed to take communion, but could only watch. What a lousy way to live.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
7th Day Adventist?

Yes, I think so.

A Hari Krishna once approached me in a building in NYC and asked if I were a student.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
7th Day Adventist?

Yes, I think so.

A Hari Krishna once approached me in a building in NYC and asked if I were a student.

In the seventies, and eighties, it was common to get approached by 'hairless krishnas' and by Moonies, and the like in public places.

All those groups used to plant people in airports to opportune the passenger traffic- until the FAA cracked down on that. Thats why in one of the "Airport" movies of the time you see Leslie Neilson charging through an airport like superman- but is thwarted by a succession of guys introducing themselves as being from: "the Unification Church...Jews of Jesus...Hare Krishnas...". Leslie Neilson blythely groin kicks each one, and tosses each aside like a rag doll in turn and keeps charging down the hall. The audience would ofcourse roar with laughter because he's doing what all airport travelers were wishing they themselves could do.