Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

California Parents Having ‘Measles Parties’ to Infect Their Unvaccinated Kids

http://bit.ly/1AQnDQ3

People get more and more confusing every day! A party to go get infected as long as it isn't you who is, just your child. Why are people so blinking cruel? I just can't understand it. It's so counter intuitive. It seems like you would go out of your way to protect your family from pain and suffering. These child abusers should be thrown in jail!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

I don't even understand it when they advocate infecting someone with chickenpox. It causes shingles later.

Measles is most often a relatively mild disease--but it can have complications.

When I was growing up, it was one of those "normal childhood diseases." In fact, I got it when I was 2, the same year the vaccination for it was created. Anti-vaccination thought is absurd, in my opinion.

All you have to do is read up on polio before they came up with the Salk and Sabin vaccine. Then you'll get some idea about how the world was before there were many vaccinations.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Feb 2015, 7:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't even understand it when they advocate infecting someone with chickenpox. It causes shingles later.

That's precisely why you want to infect someone when they are young. You're much less likely to get shingles if you've already had chickenpox, which is a much less painful disease.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:59 pm

My wife had seen a story about a 19th century woman who had gotten all her children exposed to the measles. All six died. What's to stop that from happening today?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm

Measles COULD be a serious disease. I wouldn't tempt fate.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm

When I was little people still got chickenpox, measles and mumps. They weren't considered serious, just part of growing up. Back then it was common for a mother to bring their child over to play with the sick child so they could go ahead and catch it and get it over with. That way the child was sick on the mothers schedule and caught it when the child was otherwise healthy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 4:13 am

I wouldn't say Mumps isn't a big deal after seeing three separate individuals who suffered brain damage after catching it. I would say Mumps is something I wouldn't want anyone I loved to catch.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 4:47 am

If their anything like my brother and sister-in-law, they still believe that vaccines cause autism, EVEN WHEN I CAN PROVE TO THEM BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT THAT IS NOT THE CASE. They think Andrew Wakefield is a Messiah, and would take their son and daughter to him in an instant for a cure.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 4:59 am

Meistersinger wrote:
If their anything like my brother and sister-in-law, they still believe that vaccines cause autism, EVEN WHEN I CAN PROVE TO THEM BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT THAT IS NOT THE CASE. They think Andrew Wakefield is a Messiah, and would take their son and daughter to him in an instant for a cure.

I never had any vaccines because I had allergies to them. Not even the first one. My allergies were so bad that they didn't want to risk it. I still have AS though.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:25 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:

I never had any vaccines because I had allergies to them. Not even the first one. My allergies were so bad that they didn't want to risk it. I still have AS though.

My dad had been born in rural eastern Washington in 1921, a time and place barely beyond the old west, where armed drifters sought work on farms and ranches, and horse thieves had been strung up by the local vigilance committee barely a decade or two before. It's reasonable to say that my dad, like everyone else there, was never vaccinated, and in fact suffered through childhood diseases. And yet, I am absolutely certain that had he had the chance to talk with a psychologist during his lifetime, he would have been found to be on the autistic spectrum.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:44 am

The_Walrus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That's precisely why you want to infect someone when they are young. You're much less likely to get shingles if you've already had chickenpox, which is a much less painful disease.

The chickenpox virus lies dormant in people who have had it. Later on, they may develop shingles. Anyone who has had chicken pox risks getting shingles later in life.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Feb 2015, 7:14 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The chickenpox virus lies dormant in people who have had it. Later on, they may develop shingles. Anyone who has had chicken pox risks getting shingles later in life.

"Less likely" being the operative phrase. If you're first exposed to the virus as an adult, you're definitely in trouble. Only a tiny fraction of those exposed in childhood get sick.