Do you ever wish you believed in the bible?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:27 pm

I'm agnostic, and I was never raised religiously, but sometimes, I kind of wish that I believed in God and some things from the bible just because I feel like I'd feel safer and more positive. It's true, I've found other ways before to feel this way without believing in God and such, but I do find the bible interesting, and I feel like I wouldn't mind it if I could have faith in it, but there's just no way that I can at this point, sadly. I think that I am going to read it though for entertainment. I've read some of it before. I wish there was a way that I could believe. Anything that anyone could try to get me to have faith would only result in me lying to myself, because I'd be lying if I said I truly felt like it's all true. After all, I am agnostic, and I'm extremely reliant on evidence rather than faith most of the time, so maybe I'm just not meant to believe in the bible. I do believe that somehow things are all planned to end up a certain way no matter what in order for other things to happen, so it's kind of like I believe in God, but I don't really.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Feb 2015, 8:06 pm

I know what you're saying, having faith is probably pretty comforting to be that have it. Do I wish I had this faith, I dunno probably not as much as I just wish certain things were certifiably true.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 8:10 pm

I wish that faith and prayer would be demonstrated on a daily basis to actually regenerate lost and crippled limbs, restore missing eyes and organs, and resurrect the dead.

But no, it is all only hearsay and rumor; and a lot of amputees will have to go on living with prosthetics, pain, and condescending attitudes from clueless religious people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:13 pm

From my standpoint, I wouldn't mind it if there was a Heaven to go to after one leaves one's earthly existence.

Good luck in your study of the Bible, Serena.

For poetry, I recommend the King James version. For clarity, I would recommend one which is written in 20th-21st century English.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:36 pm

I wish I believed in reincarnation. Now that would be cool.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2015, 1:57 am

I was raised christian. After a while I realized that I was just imitating those around me. I didn't feel a special connection to god like all the others did. I realized that for me to believe in something I had to feel a faith in it. So I left.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 9:38 pm

I think it's that I wish that there was proof more than I wish I had faith. That's it.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 9:53 pm

Go ahead and read the bible...if you find things in it you find useful to apply to your life, go ahead and do that...there are a lot of stories that reflect decent morals, though you might also find a lot of horrid things as well that you would not agree with. But nothing should stop you from taking what you find useful out of a religion/ideology to apply to your life without becoming a full on bible thumping christian for instance.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:02 pm

I would like for there to be something to believe in. I think the closest thing to a religious experience that I've had was watching Star Wars in 1977.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 12:34 am

Nope. If the bible is true then whether you believe in it or not we are all under the thrall of a particularly vindictive, vain, petulant murderous tyrant.

However would I like to believe in the cherry picked nice bits about wonderful and peaceful afterlife, of course I would, one would have to be nuts not to. Unfortunately to believe in this requires the believer not think to hard or closely at the concept. For me the cat is well and truly out of the bag and has been for most of my life.

I console myself when I think about the fact that I will die, with the thought of how darn lucky I am to have had this life. Mind you if I had not had this life then I would have no idea what I was missing, so the point is somewhat mute. What I find bizarre is the death wish some religious people have as they are in a hurry to get to heaven :scratch: :scratch:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 12:46 am

androbot01 wrote:
I would like for there to be something to believe in. I think the closest thing to a religious experience that I've had was watching Star Wars in 1977.

For me it was watching Odyssey in 1968. Kubrick at his brilliant best.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Layla93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2015, 2:19 am

I feel like it would be nice if i could believe in Christianity. I would fit in a little better but it doesn't stop me from believing in God or liking church. I just can't actually believe in what it teaches.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2015, 4:24 am

I do.
and that's even being aware of how much of a thug the christian god is and how little sense the whole thing would make assuming everything is determined anyway.. i don't think free will fits into even theological worldviews.
We'd be like ants in a pointless experiment done for the creator's entertainment.
Okay, maybe I don't.
I do like the justice aspect of it though, and if god existed, maybe i'd at least have a friend to talk to.
It might also give a sense of belonging.. and something to fight for.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 11:27 am

I believe in the Quran, which corrects a lot of the stuff the Bible got wrong. So no.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 12:22 pm

"Believing in the Bible" literally?

Like you mean: believing that talking snakes, guys living to be 900 years, and that the sun stood still in the sky, actually happened?

Not sure what the appeal of that would be. That would mean that the world was even crazier, and more unpredictable than it is.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

No. I don't ever wish the bible was real. The stories are ridiculous.