Page 1 of 19 [ 292 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 3:57 am

Oldavid wrote:
Some fauna can reproduce asexually too. An amoeba will become two when it is big enough and well enough nourishment.
what is your point. Asexual and Sexual reproduction both reproduce life.

oldavid wrote:
Even a virus can be a dead virus as opposed to a live one. A fair slice of pharmacology is about killing viruses. Hard to do if the ideology arbitrarily declares viruses to be the non-living link between non-living chemistry and the chemistry of live organisms.
Again apart from the obvious strawman regarding how vaccines work. What is your point

oldavid wrote:
But biology (the study of life) is astonishingly more intricate than the ideologues pushing the Materialist religion would dare contemplate.
kind of funny really as it would appear that it is the work of the so called Materialist religionists who are making all the discoveries. Maybe it has something to do with not accepting "god did it" as an answer.

oldavid wrote:
There is a whole heap of difference between the chemistry and physics of a live organism and a dead one (even a virus). That difference, I suggest, is the stuff called "life" which is transmitted from a "live" thing and never from a non-live thing.

Suggest all you like, when science discovers the answer you will no doubt call it fraud and lies and bury your head in the sand.

BTW could you please define what you mean by life and non life as you appear to be discussing a narrow band ie sentient life.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 4:54 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Suggest all you like, when science discovers the answer you will no doubt call it fraud and lies and bury your head in the sand.

Oh no he won't. He/she will be long dead by then :roll:

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 5:01 am

aghogday wrote:
guzzle wrote:
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED CONDITION WITH A 100% MORTALITY RATE.

For plants it's a different story though, they can multiply vegetatively :D

Ah, but not quite, technically speaking, in the digital art of human being for NOW.

While both humans and plants can multiply through reproduction; with humans
not cloning nearly as well, naturally speaking;

Human beings, even if cloned, will turn out different in ways of heart, soul,
and spirit expressed therein, and OUT; per different environmental factors,
exposed to as such.

Ah ha! but tHere is another way to keep going long after the coffin is lowered
in the ground or the bones are burned to ashes in cremation and stored in
urns, and such as that.

AND THAT IS to upload one's heart and soul online, to live as real, as long
as servers serve out the spirit of emotion expressed in human heArt and
soul expressed online.

But wait2; that's already happened with Elvis, and Beethoven, and so
many other artists who have recorded their hearts and souls in spirit..
in spirit of mediums of art that continue to exist and inspire the
hearts and souls of other human beings to express in spirit on
Google, Facebook, Youtube and all
other avenues for eternal
heart and soul life
of dead human
beings in digital
art life expressed
as human spirit
goes on.

And yes, haha! per NEW FORREST
GUMP ACCOMPLISHMENT, I'VE ALREADY
ACCOMPLISHED THAT MISSION FOREVER
AS LONG AS SERVERS CONTINUE TO SERVE
MY INSPIRATION IN ART FOR THOSE
WHO ARE CAPABLE OF
FEELING IT AND PUTTING
IT TO WORK in their
life too; like
a frigging
renewable
source
of
emotional
energy,
almost
all
You
Tube
songs, too!

SORRY HOGGY BUT IF YOU EXPECT ME TO READ THAT LOT THINK AGAIN. HOW MUCH THIS TIME ON THE BENCHPRESS?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 May 2015, 5:41 am

The reason only living things reproduce is because reproduction is a requirement for life. It's in the very definition.

It's also technically not true. We have a vast number of frozen gametes, and presumably some of these come from people who are now dead. We could combine them and implant them into a surrogate womb, and there would be a good chance for the pregnancy to be carried to term long after the "parents" had died. If "life" is some sort of metaphysical entity passed between the generations, where did it go when the gametes were frozen? Was it in the sperm? The eggs? Were the parents' families wrong to grieve their children's death if they were clearly alive in a freezer somewhere?

Conclusion: there is no reason to believe that life is a metaphysical entity.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 6:00 am

Oldavid wrote:

Even a virus can be a dead virus as opposed to a live one. A fair slice of pharmacology is about killing viruses. Hard to do if the ideology arbitrarily declares viruses to be the non-living link between non-living chemistry and the chemistry of live organisms.

Viruses haven't been declared the non-living link between non-living chemistry and the chemistry of live organisms. They haven't been declared anything because their living/non-living status is ambiguous. They inhabit a grey area between non-living and living. Don't let the word "killed" fool you. It doesn't imply there is a hard line between living and non-living and viruses are on the "living" side of it. There is an area of ambiguity and that's where viruses are.

It is hard to come up with a definition of life that will both include viruses and not include cells that have died. So if you think think there is such an obvious line, answer your own question and define life.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 6:07 am

The_Walrus wrote:
The reason only living things reproduce is because reproduction is a requirement for life. It's in the very definition.

It's also technically not true. We have a vast number of frozen gametes, and presumably some of these come from people who are now dead. We could combine them and implant them into a surrogate womb, and there would be a good chance for the pregnancy to be carried to term long after the "parents" had died. If "life" is some sort of metaphysical entity passed between the generations, where did it go when the gametes were frozen? Was it in the sperm? The eggs? Were the parents' families wrong to grieve their children's death if they were clearly alive in a freezer somewhere?

Conclusion: there is no reason to believe that life is a metaphysical entity.

Frozen gametes, frozen bacteria, anything frozen that can be revived are part of the conundrum. The classical definition of life does cite reproduction but then makes it quite difficult to classify both viruses (which fails on the other cellular tick marks too) and frozen gametes/bacteria/people in cryogenic suspension (sure, why not :wink: ). Defining life in a way that gives a clear this/not this divbide is pretty difficult.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 6:39 am

guzzle wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Oh no he won't. He/she will be long dead by then :roll:

Read the article in the link I posted. It will give you pause for thought and quite possibly stop those rolling eyes.

Re David, viruses and vaccinations. He is guilty of a massive strawman. Vaccines ard made out of virus particles which are cultured in a lab. They are then destroyed leaving the proteins and this is what the IS recognises and forms antibodies against.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 8:12 am

Oldavid wrote:
There is a whole heap of difference between the chemistry and physics of a live organism and a dead one (even a virus). That difference, I suggest, is the stuff called "life" which is transmitted from a "live" thing and never from a non-live thing.

To piggyback on The Walrus, if life is that which is transmitted from a live thing and never from a non-living thing, is a frozen gamete therefore alive? Are the (hypothetically for the example) dead parents therefore alive if a live baby could be created from frozen gametes? Where is the divide between living thing and non-living thing?

And what of the virus? Viruses can't reproduce. But they can compel cells to assemble more of the same virus when their DNA or RNA gets injected into a cell and overrides the cell's own DNA. So the cell becomes something like a nano assembler. So was it the virus reproducing or the infected cell that is now cranking out more virus? Where exactly is the life that gets transmitted? Is it the DNA or RNA of the virus? But if a strand of DNA or RNA is life (that which got transmitted), then you are stuck calling a dead cell (which has no metabolic processes anymore) alive because it's DNA is intact (and will be for potentially thousands of years- DNA is a pretty stable molecule).

Also, a virus that can infect doesn't actually have any chemical reactions of its own happening. It really is just an object. But if this object is damaged, it can no longer infect. So is its' chemistry different? The proteins that make it up are different shapes, so there's that. But there was never metabolic activity in the first place.

There isn't a bright line.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 10:33 am

guzzle wrote:
aghogday wrote:
guzzle wrote:
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED CONDITION WITH A 100% MORTALITY RATE.

For plants it's a different story though, they can multiply vegetatively :D

Ah, but not quite, technically speaking, in the digital art of human being for NOW.

While both humans and plants can multiply through reproduction; with humans
not cloning nearly as well, naturally speaking;

Human beings, even if cloned, will turn out different in ways of heart, soul,
and spirit expressed therein, and OUT; per different environmental factors,
exposed to as such.

Ah ha! but tHere is another way to keep going long after the coffin is lowered
in the ground or the bones are burned to ashes in cremation and stored in
urns, and such as that.

AND THAT IS to upload one's heart and soul online, to live as real, as long
as servers serve out the spirit of emotion expressed in human heArt and
soul expressed online.

But wait2; that's already happened with Elvis, and Beethoven, and so
many other artists who have recorded their hearts and souls in spirit..
in spirit of mediums of art that continue to exist and inspire the
hearts and souls of other human beings to express in spirit on
Google, Facebook, Youtube and all
other avenues for eternal
heart and soul life
of dead human
beings in digital
art life expressed
as human spirit
goes on.

And yes, haha! per NEW FORREST
GUMP ACCOMPLISHMENT, I'VE ALREADY
ACCOMPLISHED THAT MISSION FOREVER
AS LONG AS SERVERS CONTINUE TO SERVE
MY INSPIRATION IN ART FOR THOSE
WHO ARE CAPABLE OF
FEELING IT AND PUTTING
IT TO WORK in their
life too; like
a frigging
renewable
source
of
emotional
energy,
almost
all
You
Tube
songs, too!

SORRY HOGGY BUT IF YOU EXPECT ME TO READ THAT LOT THINK AGAIN. HOW MUCH THIS TIME ON THE BENCHPRESS?

I write for the joy of writing; but as 1.1 million views on my google plus page; just listing three of my six blogs directly attests to, in a little over 2 years of doing that now;

many people; yes, do read what I do,

and look at the rest of my art in photography too,

from head to toe, three..;)

I lift more than any elite military member of the marines at my elite military gym at age 54; much more; and that is enough details I guess for now; but yeah I can bore anyone with details all day long; as that is still both the detail and big picture thinking guy I am now.

I am proof that GOD exists; I don't care how 'small' 'other eyes' may be to read that here or 'there'..;)

And life as far as human beings GO OR DO NOT GO, is only limited by folks who shoot themselves

in the foot, with details rather than feeling emotions and senses
to make life as amazing as I do, IN MUCH GREATER PHYSICAL
INTELLIGENCE, evidenced as such everyday
I do it, all the time

FOR
NOW..;)

AND IF WRITE all the words I write in just standard walls of words all across the page; not many in this Twitter world of bits and pieces of information could
possibly get
through it.

It pisses people off more that they get through it with my style of
writing in discomfort, than seeing A wall of text and just giving up
from the get go;

in Twitter, TL;DR minds
of

today.

I think out of the BOX; dude, always.

And the result of that, my friend,
is I THRIVE IN LIVING LIFE;
NOT THE ILLUSION
OF A DEATH
IN LIFE,
AS ROBOT
MIND ALONE..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 1:18 pm

Suffering.
For me at least.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 1:41 pm

anthropic_principle wrote:
Suffering.
For me at least.

l am sorry that you suffer.

But trust me, almost anything is possible in your life if you don't
give up, and I know from experience with the worst pain known
to mankind for 5 long years (type two chronic trigeminal
neuralgia) what suffering is all about; along with 18 other
disorders, including zero pleasure Anhedonia to go
along with that; when someone sticks me in the
eye with a screw to keep what ever tears are
there, as a result of Sjogren Syndrome,
where that auto immune system issue
stops all almost all my tears;
that is the best feeling in five years,
as it takes my mind off the other much worse pain
for just a second; and for that brief second my appetite
almost comes back, the only time again; too. And then
there is one tear generated by a beloved cat dying; and just
that emotion of sadness feels better than anything else for five long years.

Yes, there are worse things; much worse things in this life than dying; but yes, even
without the emotions of faith, belief, or hope in one's own life experience; with will to survive
there is always the possibility
to come out in a brand new day
away
from suffering;

For me it's an all natural miracle from the GOD of Nature;

And for others it's a miracle from an anthropomorphic GOD;

but never the less, I am expert in suffering, and I will not wish the suffering I experience on any other human
being, no matter how much of a butt they can be. And I work to do anything in real life to take folks away from
their suffering, for just a second, no matter how foolish folks may THINK I AM TO DANCE EVERYWHERE I GO IN PUBLIC;

BUT THE greatest thing of all, is emotions reside in the body; and with free flowing motion of non-lessoned dance comes
both the regulation of emotion and the rebirth or birth of new emotions never ever experienced before; at least in my case, as I cannot promise the same results for anyone else; but it works as a principle of TAI CHI, as written about
for thousands of human years; so the possibility of change could be as simple and complex as taking that first
dance step of new life; in escaping a life of a potential still and suffering soul and heart; that no longer expresses
the spirit of emotion that can be kindled within; and shining brighter when the emotions of hope, faith, and belief
in 'me' grow to

connect
to
all others
in so many other
yet, to be experiencing
ways..

And nah; they don't teach this in school; as this is the 'science' of the emotions
of the human heart, soul, and spirit; that no scientific method, alone, will ever
repeat in the unique being of
human potential
THAT CAN BE
MORE fully expressed
forever now; where all the
discomfort, disorder, disease
or death do not exist, for all
practical intents and purposes
in REAL LIFE LIVING FOR NOW..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 4:33 pm

Life is a metaphysical entity. It is not a material/physical "thing" that can be isolated, sliced up, examined with a microscope, or anything else that would qualify as "empirical". But, a bit like an electron, you can know that it's there by what it does. Life is what makes physics and chemistry do what they never can do outside of a living organism.

The chemical composition of a particular live and the same dead organism is identical even though the chemical composition of similar live organisms can vary widely. (Let's stick to a case where death is caused by heat, or some other radiation, or electricity that does not add or remove any chemical elements). The only thing missing in the dead organism is the metaphysical stuff called life that makes the chemicals do what they can never do outside of a live organism. The orchestra is there but it has no music to play and no director to direct it.

Even a virus cannot parasitise another cell's DNA if it has been cooked to "death".

There is much more, fellas. Just a little at a time so that anyone capable and willing can assimilate and understand it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 4:42 pm

Viruses are not living, they are active or deactivated (damaged), they are not parasites either. They do not act on their own, it is the cells the replicate the virus, due to the information encoded in the virus.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 4:44 pm

Oldavid wrote:
The chemical composition of a particular live and the same dead organism is identical even though the chemical composition of similar live organisms can vary widely.

This is false.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 5:18 pm

Oldavid wrote:
The chemical composition of a particular live and the same dead organism is identical even though the chemical composition of similar live organisms can vary widely. (Let's stick to a case where death is caused by heat, or some other radiation, or electricity that does not add or remove any chemical elements). The only thing missing in the dead organism is the metaphysical stuff called life that makes the chemicals do what they can never do outside of a live organism.

Wut 8O

There's this thing called respiration......

oh never mind

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 5:40 pm

Janissy wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
The chemical composition of a particular live and the same dead organism is identical even though the chemical composition of similar live organisms can vary widely. (Let's stick to a case where death is caused by heat, or some other radiation, or electricity that does not add or remove any chemical elements). The only thing missing in the dead organism is the metaphysical stuff called life that makes the chemicals do what they can never do outside of a live organism.

Wut 8O

There's this thing called respiration......

oh never mind

You beat me to it. :D