Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:43 am

May 19, 2007 -- 08:28 AM EST // link)
It's something of an open secret on the Hill, but Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) temper can be so explosive, it tends to alienate friend and foe alike. Consider yesterday's brouhaha over the new immigration-reform package.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) hasn't spent much time in the Capitol this year as he seeks the GOP presidential nomination. But one of his rare appearances this week provided a pretty salty exchange with a fellow Republican.

During a meeting Thursday on immigration legislation, McCain and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) got into a shouting match when Cornyn started voicing concerns about the number of judicial appeals that illegal immigrants could receive, according to multiple sources -- both Democrats and Republicans -- who heard firsthand accounts of the exchange from lawmakers who were in the room.

Apparently, McCain accused Cornyn of raising petty objections, and Cornyn accused McCain of having dropped in without taking part in the negotiations. "F**k you! I know more about this than anyone else in the room," McCain reportedly shouted. Paul Kane added that McCain also "used a curse word associated with chickens."

Oddly enough, these outbursts are not terribly uncommon for McCain. Several years ago, Jake Tapper reported on an incident in which McCain got into a shouting match with Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa). Eventually, a seething McCain told his GOP colleague, "You know, senator, I thought your problem was that you don't listen. But that's not it at all. Your problem is that you're a f**king jerk."

More recently, former Sen. Bob Smith (R-N.H.), who served with McCain on the Senate Armed Services Committee and on Republican policy committees, said, "I have witnessed incidents where he has used profanity at colleagues and exploded at colleagues. He would disagree about something and then explode. It was incidents of irrational behavior. We've all had incidents where we have gotten angry, but I've never seen anyone act like that."

Keep in mind, we're talking about McCain dropping F-bombs on Republicans.

I guess this helps explain why McCain hasn't exactly racked up the Senate GOP endorsements for his presidential campaign.

-- Steve Benen

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:05 pm

at least he's compassionate.

that piece seems more like an attack piece than it is an honest one.

"these outbursts are not terribly uncommon for McCain. Several years ago"

this doesn't strike me as particularly honest. not to mention if he really had such a problem, you the article would have easily been able to cite multiple incidents within the last year.

he's a military dog...i'd expect him to swear. i like people who swear. they're my kind of mother f*****s.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2007, 9:47 pm

skafather84 wrote:
i like people who swear. they're my kind of mother f****.
I agree it's cool to curse.

I heard McCain might have been brainwashed while he was a prisoner in Vietnam and that after he becomes president the Russians have the code to "activate" him. I doubt it's true though.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:50 pm

the-over-analyzed wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I heard McCain might have been brainwashed while he was a prisoner in Vietnam and that after he becomes president the Russians have the code to "activate" him. I doubt it's true though.

it's absurd and our government is supposed to be set up to where even if he is f****d up like that, the other two facets of government shut him down.....kinda sad that politics is so divisive right now that people would actually follow a brainwashed robot.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 10:56 pm

skafather84 wrote:
the-over-analyzed wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

it's absurd and our government is supposed to be set up to where even if he is f**** up like that, the other two facets of government shut him down.....kinda sad that politics is so divisive right now that people would actually follow a brainwashed robot.

yes, sadly that is true, like the current occupier of the White House. .