Page 73 of 82 [ 1307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 82  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 9:15 am

Legal immigration isn't a problem.

Don't forget all the legal immigrants who work for Microsoft and Boeing here in western Washington.

People coming into this country illegally is the problem.

Try setting yourself up illegally in Canada or even try becoming a legal citizen and see what happens.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 9:42 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Without immigrants we wouldn't have as many doctors. I mean, do you have what it takes to become a doctor?

I think a lot more people actually have the ability than actually go into medicine. The upfront costs of schooling are enormous, at least here in the US. The total educational costs are ~150k here, not to mention your life is on hold until your early thirties due to all the schooling.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 10:55 am

This is Trump's fault.
VVV

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 7:30 pm

The Troll in Chief

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 8:43 pm

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 9:04 pm

EzraS wrote:
If I'm correct, the immigration system of people coming over from europe in the old days was pretty strict in processing people through Ellis Island. It wasn't like the US just let them get off the boat unprocessed far as I know.

American immigration policy was open to all economic migrants so long as they were from Europe of "good stock". We needn't delve into the intricacies of the selection criteria as it's a little embarrassing.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 9:54 pm

If you bought a first class ticket, you got to skip Ellis Island. Of course, Gandhi got thrown from a train for refusing to take his first class ticket to the colored car, so YMMV.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 1:16 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
If you bought a first class ticket, you got to skip Ellis Island. Of course, Gandhi got thrown from a train for refusing to take his first class ticket to the colored car, so YMMV.

And rightly so! I imagine the gentile folk in first class would choke on their tea and crumpets if they had to sit next to a "coolie"

I've read a number of cases of slightly darkish looking/swarthy people being put back onto the boat on Ellis Island to return from whence they embarked. First class ticket not-withstanding

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:30 am

Aristophanes wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Without immigrants we wouldn't have as many doctors. I mean, do you have what it takes to become a doctor?

I think a lot more people actually have the ability than actually go into medicine. The upfront costs of schooling are enormous, at least here in the US. The total educational costs are ~150k here, not to mention your life is on hold until your early thirties due to all the schooling.

Maybe some but many people would die from overwork either during medschool or during their residency.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:34 am

EzraS wrote:
Legal immigration isn't a problem.

Don't forget all the legal immigrants who work for Microsoft and Boeing here in western Washington.

People coming into this country illegally is the problem.

Try setting yourself up illegally in Canada or even try becoming a legal citizen and see what happens.

Donald Trump never said he wants to stop legal immigrants. He only wants to stop illegal immigrants. That's technically true but misleading. He tried to expand the definition of illegal immigrants so while he technically wouldn't have stopped any legal immigrants in his plan, he would have been stopping immigrants who would have been considered legal under the old definition.

In other words he's using a classic salesman tactic where he says something that's technically true while implying something that isn't true.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

Trump wants to double the standard deduction.

The typical middle class American, non-itemized filer will make $2000-$3000 per year off the deal, for the rest of their lives. (Having both federal and state simultaneously reduced)

My parents, both retirees, are frothing with excitement about Trump's plan.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 6:10 pm

Anatomy of a fake meme:

This is a test of your critical analysis skills. Can you tell what's happening in this "news" clip? Think carefully and don't believe everything you see.

There Are Four Lights!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Trump wants to double the standard deduction.

The typical middle class American, non-itemized filer will make $2000-$3000 per year off the deal, for the rest of their lives. (Having both federal and state simultaneously reduced)

My parents, both retirees, are frothing with excitement about Trump's plan.

This seems to make sense. It will also save people a lot of money on tax assistance, since fewer people will owe taxes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:06 am

palmer431bc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2017, 7:21 am

why is everyone on this site so obsessed with donald trump?

“The heart — it is a physical organ, we all know. But how much more an emotional organ — this we also know. Love, like blood, flows from the heart. Are blood and love related? Does a heart pump blood as it pumps love? Is love the blood of the universe?”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 8:02 am

palmer431bc wrote:
why is everyone on this site so obsessed with donald trump?

because we have to live with the clear and present danger that the orange-haired menace and his even more menacing supporters represent to the rest of us sans money and political power.