Conservatives insist the rest of us live by their rules

Page 1 of 21 [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

Why do conservatives insist on telling the rest of us how we must live our lives? Of course their rules come from their religious beliefs as if the rest of us cannot have morals or ethics...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 11:41 am

[sarcasm]Yeah, you never hear of liberals forcing thier rules on everyone[/sarcasm].
:roll: :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 11:55 am

Raptor wrote:
[sarcasm]Yeah, you never hear of liberals forcing thier rules on everyone[/sarcasm].
:roll: :roll:

And that somehow negates that much of the time conservative government officials like to try and legislate morality, much of the time based on christian principles...to try and make everyone abide by those rules? That would just mean multiple groups try forcing their rules on everyone...but last I checked 'liberals' isn't even an organized political party and for the most part they don't all have the same opinions on all the issues. Now the Democrats I notice sometimes try and force archaic rules into policy like with censorship and other things which pisses me off just as much as when republican/conservatives want to try and legislate religious morality but they are an actual group.....the term liberal is about the loosest political term there is, and not an organized group so don't even see how they can force any of their rules whatever those rules would be.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

/\ "Conservatives" aren't exactly a political party either, and that's who the OP is talking about. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:04 pm

True conservatives alone aren't a party...but I imagine they meant the religious oriented conservatives who try to legislate religious morality.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
True conservatives alone aren't a party...but I imagine they meant the religious oriented conservatives who try to legislate religious morality.

Exactly...

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:34 pm

pcuser wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Exactly...

Then in answer to your question, they do so because they believe it's the right thing to do. That is, after all, the point of legislation.

Now I have a question for you. Have you ever met anyone who thought that they were a morally unsound or evil person?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jun 2015, 12:35 pm

"Liberals" literally just unconstitutionally legally forced their beliefs on same-sex marriages on the rest of America.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of same-sex marriage - but let's not pretend it's only conservatives who do this.

Genuine liberals could argue that they advocate freedom, and forcing freedom upon people isn't force at all. Liberals aren't going to stop heterosexual people living as they want, they're just going to enable homosexuals to have the same legal recognition that heterosexuals have enjoyed since governments started recognising marriages. That's a good thing, but the way it was achieved isn't how America is supposed to work.

American conservatives only seem particularly concerned about rights in two of the situations which distinguish them from American leftists. Those are guns and taxes.

The impression I get from the internet is that American conservatives are a dying breed and increasingly those who identify as such actually have pretty liberal views on many issues, including crime. That doesn't seem to be reflected in their political representatives - I've not seen a presidential candidate with libertarian views on drugs, equality, and immigration. Hopefully soon such a candidate will emerge and be electable.

(Some of these issues are by no means exclusive to America, I just added that qualifier because it seemed the OP was exclusively talking about American politics)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:45 pm

Nobody is forcing "same-sex" marriage on anyone; simply giving gays the right to marry -- big difference between that and how some conservative Christians seek to impose their morality of others.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

EdgySpirit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2015, 12:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
but last I checked 'liberals' isn't even an organized political party and for the most part they don't all have the same opinions on all the issues.
On the contrary:
http://www.liberal.org.uk/

raptor wrote:
/\ "Conservatives" aren't exactly a political party either, and that's who the OP is talking about. :roll:

Then there is this lot:
https://www.conservatives.com/Together

And just in case anyone thinks that religious Christians are incapable of having other politics try these: http://www.christiansontheleft.org.uk/splash_1?splash=1

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:56 pm

I neither need nor want abortion coverage in Obamacare, but I am forced to accept it. Isn't that insisting that I live by the rules (and morals) created by Democrats (remember, not one congressional Republican voted for Obamacare)?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
"Liberals" literally just unconstitutionally legally forced their beliefs on same-sex marriages on the rest of America.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of same-sex marriage - but let's not pretend it's only conservatives who do this.

in what regard was the ruling unconstitutional?

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:17 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I neither need nor want abortion coverage in Obamacare, but I am forced to accept it. Isn't that insisting that I live by the rules (and morals) created by Democrats (remember, not one congressional Republican voted for Obamacare)?

I don't need female reproductive health care, but I pay for it for those who do. That's how insurance is supposed to work. I don't begrudge paying for it as some of what you pay for goes to my prostate health, for instance. Just because you don't like something which is a legal right doesn't mean you can pick and choose where your money goes. The only thing you or I should care about is that most of that money goes for health care. Also, liberals tend to want laws allowing freedom, whereas conservatives tend to want to restrict rights to others. They also want to force others to live by their rules. Liberals don't care whether you are in a straight or gay marriage. They only insist that their rights are protected as your straight marriages carry those rights and benefits. You need to think about how these issues play out in the real world, not a book of fairy tales...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

But that's like saying because you don't want or need social security, you shouldn't have to participate in it. The fact is, both the ACA and social security only work when everyone participates. After all, plenty of us want it need Obamacare, and it seems to me that your choice would deny it to us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 2:10 pm

When it comes to anything sexual, conservatives have always been the ones to put limits on who you can and can't love. They had made interracial marriage illegal in many states, which was only made to change when the Supreme Court forced them to. And now, they are claiming they have the right to resist gay marriage, despite it's recent legalization. There is definitely something truly wrong with people who obsess with how other people have sex. I think they probably think about gay sex more than gays do!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

I don't need female reproductive health care, but I pay for it for those who do. That's how insurance is supposed to work. I don't begrudge paying for it as some of what you pay for goes to my prostate health, for instance. Just because you don't like something which is a legal right doesn't mean you can pick and choose where your money goes. The only thing you or I should care about is that most of that money goes for health care. Also, liberals tend to want laws allowing freedom, whereas conservatives tend to want to restrict rights to others. They also want to force others to live by their rules. Liberals don't care whether you are in a straight or gay marriage. They only insist that their rights are protected as your straight marriages carry those rights and benefits. You need to think about how these issues play out in the real world, not a book of fairy tales...

as long as its the freedoms they like. they trash other freedoms which they seem as wrong or not impromtant to them.
both sides only care about THEIR freedoms and not others. which side you choose depends on what freedoms you enjoy and don't want to lose. how sad is that. why can't all freedoms just be protected?