Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 12:35 pm

Cops over the years have collectively made the bed of contempt they now have to lie in.
I have more respect for firefighters. I see much more actual bravery and dedication from them than the cops.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 12:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
Cops over the years have collectively made the bed of contempt they now have to lie in.
I have more respect for firefighters. I see much more actual bravery and dedication from them than the cops.

Tom Clancy put it very well in one of his books. "Police run away from burning buildings, firemen run to them."

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 12:48 pm

Let's face it, most cops are control freaks. I have been pulled over on the mountain roads that I am very familiar with by these stupid flatlanders they send up here, and get a lecture from them about going a few miles an hour over the speed limit. I know these roads, and I know the safe areas where you can open her up, and I know the places you have to slow down due to ice.
Oh, when they do deign to patrol our roads, they are always speeding, driving at unsafe speeds on roads they don't know!
This is so typical of cops. They make me want to vomit all over their shoes! :eew:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:03 pm

Raptor wrote:

I understand that a lot of your firefighters are volunteers outside of cities. That is commendable.

There are volunteer police in the UK called Special Constables or 'specials'. They have to do the full training but have other jobs.

Personally I judge each constabulary on its own merits, The Met kind of suck but Hampshire police I have nothing but praise for.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 24 Oct 2015, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

I'm sorry to burst you bubble but social services also attract their fair share control freaks and power hungry people. What's more they good ones can be pushed out.

This is a generalisation but since we are already generalising why not? In fact it is fair to say that social service jobs are the ideal cover sadists. In some respect they have powers police don't have.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:18 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I'm sorry to burst you bubble but social services also attract their fair share control freaks and power hungry people. What's more they good ones can be pushed out.

This is a generalisation but since we are already generalising why not? In fact it is fair to say that social service jobs are the ideal cover sadists. In some respect they have powers police don't have.

It has been my experience that many 'civil servants' exercise their ounce of power to the fullest, but this thread is about cops in particular.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

glebel wrote:
Let's face it, most cops are control freaks. I have been pulled over on the mountain roads that I am very familiar with by these stupid flatlanders they send up here, and get a lecture from them about going a few miles an hour over the speed limit. I know these roads, and I know the safe areas where you can open her up, and I know the places you have to slow down due to ice.
Oh, when they do deign to patrol our roads, they are always speeding, driving at unsafe speeds on roads they don't know!
This is so typical of cops. They make me want to vomit all over their shoes! :eew:

Not too long ago at some bar (actually outside of it in the alley) there was a fist fight between two (2) guys. No stabbing, bottle busted over a head, or shooting. Just a fist fight. Eight (8) cop cars showed up (I counted them) and stuck around for at least an hour after all was said and done. We're talking about a city that logistically can't afford to have 8 cop cars dedicated to anything, let alone one itty bitty little fight that any one cop worth his badge should be able to handle. They overdo it to the max for little s**t like this all the time.

People see this BS. If someone wanted to knock off a bank all they'd have to do to buy time is to first create a diversion on the other side of town. Apparently any little thing will do the trick.
:roll:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 2:10 pm

glebel wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

It has been my experience that many 'civil servants' exercise their ounce of power to the fullest, but this thread is about cops in particular.

Some poster where saying especially cops are bad and the good guys are "paramedics, social workers and councillors, rehab therapists, doctors".

I like to counter simplistic thinking.

Harold Shipman is consider by many criminologists as most prolific serial killer in history with 218 proven victims. He was a medical doctor. Positions of power do attract people like that, however we should taint all with the same brush.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Oct 2015, 2:31 pm

I guess I can only see thru the lens of my experience and what I know of my mom's profession, I would definitely say that social workers don't tend to be control freaks or "bad". It's a selfless thankless job that doesn't pay **** even with a MSW, there are lots of people making more than social workers that never went to college. There is so much education required, there is a ton of political pressure when the state runs it(not that private social services are any better) and you get held responsible for things that no one can do anything about. If a child is harmed that you investigated and couldn't find any substantiated abuse, that's on you and they have to literally investigate every single report sent in to them which are 90% bs and a lot of it is just done maliciously to other people. The state cries about all these open cases and desperately needs more workers but they can't keep workers they have to begin with because of the conditions they are forced to work under and abysmal pay.

There is a lot of personal judgement that goes into the job and some people are much less forgiving than others but my mother being a mother herself and not a perfect one at that understands what should constitute abuse and what shouldn't. She worked with mentally ill and the elderly, she actually helps people and receives no thanks unlike our supposed heroes cops. It's mostly women that do the job, they can't get enough men to do it, I'd say most are good people. You don't become a social worker unless you want to help the downtrodden. Of course, anybody with 2 cents of authority can abuse it so it does happen.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 3:13 pm

Raptor wrote:
glebel wrote:

Not too long ago at some bar (actually outside of it in the alley) there was a fist fight between two (2) guys. No stabbing, bottle busted over a head, or shooting. Just a fist fight. Eight (8) cop cars showed up (I counted them) and stuck around for at least an hour after all was said and done. We're talking about a city that logistically can't afford to have 8 cop cars dedicated to anything, let alone one itty bitty little fight that any one cop worth his badge should be able to handle. They overdo it to the max for little s**t like this all the time.

People see this BS. If someone wanted to knock off a bank all they'd have to do to buy time is to first create a diversion on the other side of town. Apparently any little thing will do the trick.
:roll:

This sounds like a situation where the people around them should have broken up the fight and not gotten the cops involved at all. This is so typical of modern society. " Don't ask me to do anything, let's have the government do it !".

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 4:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I guess I can only see thru the lens of my experience and what I know of my mom's profession, I would definitely say that social workers don't tend to be control freaks or "bad". It's a selfless thankless job that doesn't pay **** even with a MSW, there are lots of people making more than social workers that never went to college.

The people to watch out for are some of the managers of the social services an also constants they hire, who are often charge huge fee given from the public purse for their so called expertise. They have some legal immunity the even if they have been found legal in the wrong by a court or ombudsman, the recourse is limited.

It requires a major scandal to break for the council's social service to be put under special administration, but there can be all sort of bullish to be goign on if not, and some of it beggars belief. They are not afraid to use the weapon they have, even if not relevant.

This is my experience in the UK, through people I know. Of course some councils are excellent and not at all like that. I'm talking about the worst of the worst.

In some cases, people like you mother are pushed out becuase they don't meet the political objective.

This not be the case with you mother but it happens.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 7:34 pm

I feel like the reason people have a negative opinion of police is not because police sometimes do bad things. People of all professions sometimes do bad things. The problem is that so many times police do bad things and get away with it. The reason that happens is that in many jurisdictions the police aren't really accountable to anyone other than themselves. If a police officer is suspected to have used excessive force but there is nobody set up to investigate it other than the police themselves, and of course they decide they did nothing wrong, people are of course not going to believe that. Usually what happens is the city pays out a settlement to the victim and the officer is not disciplined really at all.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 7:58 pm

i know three police officers well. they are all decent people. two of them quit, one because he "got tired of sitting around waiting for someone to screw up." he became an athletic trainer. the other (white) officer witnessed blacks being abused by his fellow officers. he was told that if he reported the abuse, he would be killed. he went into writing training manuals for good policing. the one who still practices is in a white middle-class community, so doesn't have to deal with the racial issues. he is friendly and folks respond well to him.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Some poster where saying especially cops are bad and the good guys are "paramedics, social workers and councillors, rehab therapists, doctors".

I like to counter simplistic thinking.

It's not simplistic thinking - I stated more than once that I was basing my response off my own personal experience alone, not broad statistics. Of course there have been people in any position of power that have abused said positions, but to detail every one is impractical. From my own experience, I have had little to no instances of doctors, paramedics, therapists, social workers and so on abusing their positions or doing their jobs for underhanded reasons. Many of these jobs are badly paid and they have to put up with a lot of crap doing it. From my experience, they have been good people, there out of a motivation to help others.
In contrast, I have also had experience with the military and the police. My experiences of both of these groups have been almost uniformly (no pun intended) negative. They have repeatedly shown a group mind mentality, homogenisation, mean-spiritedness, and demonstrated their motivations to come out of an excuse to be violent, the desire to dominate and persecute others (even fellow police/soldiers) and exercise power over them.
Generalising is almost always unfair as there are bound to be individuals in these professions that are decent, but in a military/paramilitary organisation that insists on homogenising their people, often forcefully and making it impossible for them to do their jobs without being the same as their fellows, those numbers diminish. If an individual police officer or military personnel were to prove themselves decent and trustworthy by all means. But once the majority of them have been the opposite, caution is just common sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 11:52 pm

We have gone from the majority of Americans giving assuming that police are always right and the perp always wrong to police did something wrong and even if it is proven otherwise because a there must have been a coverup because as said here most likely you only chose that line of work because you are control freak and racist. Judging the individual situation without putting some context in it is beyond most people it seems.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2015, 1:23 pm

I Feel Sorry For The Police

Well, let me modify that: I'LL FEEL SORRY FOR THE POLICE WHEN I SEE A PROCESSION OF POLICE VEHICLES AT THE FUNERAL FOR SOME CHILD THEY DELIBERATELY OR ACCIDENTALLY KILLED....IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN.

In our area of the country little children sometimes get run down or otherwise killed by excited police chases....shootings ...etc. Probably in your area of the country also?

When a cop dies all the police come out in full disgusting regalia TO HONOR HIM/HER. When a child dies they just ignore it.

THEY'RE GREEDY SLIMY BASTARDS ONLY INTERESTED IN CONTROLLING OTHERS FOR THEIR OWN PERSON GAIN AND PLEASURE.