Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Which of the following candidates run for president?
Hillary Clinton 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Bernie Sanders 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Martin O'Malley 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Forget the DNC, I vote Fnord 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 11:54 am

I know, just what we needed, another political poll. Just thought I'd have a more focused discussion and compare the Democratic candidates.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 7:55 pm

Hillary will probably win the nomination. It doesn't mean many people will be happy, though.

I believe, come November, 2016, that we will have our first woman President. Not many people will, necessarily, like it.

She won't have the same sort of mandate as, say, Franklin Roosevelt did in 1933. Or even Obama in 2009.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 4:01 am

Hillary Clinton, by a long shot.

Bernie Sanders' health care plan is extremely unrealistic within the current US constitutional framework given how the PPACA just barely survived in the Supreme Court. And much of its funding is contingent on cost savings that may not materialize, since these, too, will likely be heavily reliant on goodwill in the Supreme Court.

I also see his adamant anti-free trade policy as narrow-minded and cynically nationalistic (perhaps even worse than that of Donald Trump)... especially given that free trade has shown itself to be the undisputed best tool for poverty relief worldwide in the entire history of mankind, and being crucial to lifting 500 million Chinese out of extreme poverty since 1978.

His stance on legal immigration (like his semi-aversion to H1-B visas) could also be detrimental to the United States economy, as the US will be facing increasing labor shortages in the coming years.

All in all, several of Sanders' protectionist policy positions will likely be toxic to the US economy. If one wants to see how his policies work in real life, one could just look at the economic history of Latin America.

I agree with him on a lot of social issues, but so does Hillary and O'Malley.

Sorry. I don't feel the bern... Must be the winter cold...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

Hillary is going to be indicted, maybe going to prison

she will not be eligible for the office of presidency

better hope Bernie the Red is ready for prime time or that the DNC has some contingency plans

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

I have a hard time believing Hillary will be indicted, they've been talking about it for months, and to be fair, she's been the focus of excessive right-wing outrage. This sounds like another Benghazi.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 1:37 am

I said Bernie. I can always hope.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 6:18 pm

Bernie Sanders all the way! However, once the Democrat ticket is announced, they should get Martin O'Malley on the ticket.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 1:31 am

I don't think Bernie is an impractical choice, after all, mayors are some of the most pragmatic politicians and that was how Bernie entered politics. At this point in a campaign, the gloves are coming off, so things I like about Sanders are going to be painted as a weakness by Hillary supporters.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 7:44 pm

I know nothing about Martin O'Malley. Where does he stand on things, in comparison to Hillary and Bernie?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2016, 10:41 am

GGPViper wrote:

I also see his adamant anti-free trade policy as narrow-minded and cynically nationalistic (perhaps even worse than that of Donald Trump)... especially given that free trade has shown itself to be the undisputed best tool for poverty relief worldwide in the entire history of mankind, and being crucial to lifting 500 million Chinese out of extreme poverty since 1978.

His stance on legal immigration (like his semi-aversion to H1-B visas) could also be detrimental to the United States economy, as the US will be facing increasing labor shortages in the coming years.

All in all, several of Sanders' protectionist policy positions will likely be toxic to the US economy. If one wants to see how his policies work in real life, one could just look at the economic history of Latin America.

I agree with him on a lot of social issues, but so does Hillary and O'Malley.

Sorry. I don't feel the bern... Must be the winter cold...

I agree with this analysis. Sanders would need to drop his protectionist policies to be a great presidential candidate.

However, I'm rather more supportive of his domestic policies.

O'Malley hasn't been a realistic contender for a while and has now ended his candidacy.

I do feel Clinton will say whatever she needs to in order to get elected, but her autism policy is remarkably good and I imagine she's genuinely changed her views on things like LGBT rights too. If she can engage with issues more (rather than making pop culture references) then she'll be a very strong candidate.

I think America's got the economic sensibilities down and Sanders probably won't be able to tear up all the free trade agreements, whilst Clinton would be a continuity candidate. What America needs is someone to the left or someone significantly more liberal, capable of challenging the consensus. I think Sanders could do that. He probably couldn't pass his major policies, but in the long run I think he'd be a better candidate than Clinton.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

I'd agree less with protectionist stances if losing my job wasn't so financially devastating. No job, and expired unemployment benefits leave people homeless over here.

Also GGP, I find it really obnoxious that while you enjoy a public health care option, you dismiss it as unrealistic for US candidates to advocate. Not only that, you lament about how overqualified you are for your well-paying government job in Denmark while suggesting that US workers are to blame for losing their jobs. I doubt you're in any danger of losing yours simply because someone else could do it cheaper.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 1:33 am

MDD123 wrote:
Also GGP, I find it really obnoxious that while you enjoy a public health care option, you dismiss it as unrealistic for US candidates to advocate. Not only that, you lament about how overqualified you are for your well-paying government job in Denmark while suggesting that US workers are to blame for losing their jobs. I doubt you're in any danger of losing yours simply because someone else could do it cheaper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 2:33 am

I forgot to add brow-beating to the list. I'm not arguing btw, I'm just explaining to you why I find you so irritating.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 6:21 pm

Now that Martin O' Malley has dropped out, it's obvious that the Democrat ticket will be Clinton and Sanders, whether they like it or not.