Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 8:39 am

A freeway should be just that, a freeway. I've heard that on parts of I-95 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95 there were planning on starting to make people pay tolls.

Quote:
The idea of tolling I-95 started in 2001 as a way to pay for improvements along the route. In 2003, state officials sought permission from the Federal Highway Administration for a plan that would cost $3 billion and put toll booths every thirty miles along the entire route. However, this was quickly killed by Governor Mike Easley, who did not support tolls.[13]

In 2006, when the Virginia General Assembly passed the resolution calling for an interstate compact to build a toll highway, North Carolina was asked to join in on the compact of putting tolls along the entire length of Interstate 95 in both states.[14] Again, this was stopped by Governor Mike Easley, who did not see the benefit in such a compact and reiterated his opposition of tolls along Interstate 95.[12]

In 2010, North Carolina leaders revived talks on tolling Interstate 95, submitting a request to the Federal Highway Administration to toll the entire route. Approval would be considered after an environmental assessment and other conditions. Support has grown in a number of factors including the fact that the interstate is mostly rural and used predominantly by out-of-state drivers.[12]

On January 20, 2012, NCDOT received final approval of the Environmental Assessment for improvements along I-95 in North Carolina. The following recommendations were made:

Widen I-95 to eight lanes (four lanes in each direction) from exit 31 to exit 81;
Widen the remaining sections of I-95 to six lanes (three lanes in each direction);
Make necessary repairs to pavement;
Raise and rebuild bridges;
Improve interchanges; and
Bring I-95 up to current safety standards for interstates.
It is estimated to cost $4.4 billion with recommendation that it should be paid through tolls. Construction would begin in two phases: Phase 1 (exit 31-exit 81) would begin in 2016 with tolls starting after completion; phase 2 would begin in 2019, which covers the remainder of the interstate.[15][16][17] With a possible 2019 start date for the tolls, NCDOT plans to install nine overhead toll collection sensors every twenty miles with additional toll collection sensors at exits before tolls (to reduce drivers from jumping off and on at each toll); main toll stations will charge twenty miles each while exit tolls will charge ten miles each. Gaps along the route, where no toll collectors are located, will allow local traffic to utilize the interstate toll free. Though the toll rates have not been established, a NCDOT report suggest charging 19.2 cents per mile (11.9 ¢/km) for cars in the phase 1 section, with a much lower rate of 6.4 ¢/mi (4.0 ¢/km) on phase 2 sections; which would work out to be $19.20 from border to border (trucks with three axles or more will be charged more). Drivers that do not carry a toll transponder (i.e. North Carolina Quick Pass) will have their license numbers recorded by cameras and will be billed by mail, at a higher toll rate.[18]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

The concept of a "freeway" actually has more to do with freedom from intersections, allowing free travel without having to stop at a light or a sign.

But someone has to pay for the construction and maintenance of those "freeways", so "tollways" were developed. In fact ...

Wikipedia wrote:
Toll roads have existed for at least the last 2,700 years, as tolls had to be paid by travellers using the Susa–Babylon highway under the regime of Ashurbanipal, who reigned in the 7th century BC. Aristotle and Pliny refer to tolls in Arabia and other parts of Asia. In India, before the 4th century BC, the Arthasastra notes the use of tolls. Germanic tribes charged tolls to travellers across mountain passes. Tolls were used in the Holy Roman Empire in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Since revenue from gasoline taxes are declining (thanks to the proliferation of electric and hybrid-electric vehicles), the money to pay for the construction and maintainance of highways are being met by converting those highways to toll ways.

While you may not like tollroads, millions of people appreciate them for being well-maintained, relatively free from traffic jams, and for just being available.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

The people driving on these roads should foot the bill for their maintenance and whatever else revenue they can get

I always thought Wisconsin should use far more toll roads because of all the rich FIBs that drive north

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

They certainly cost a lot of friggin' bucks!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 12:19 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The people driving on these roads should foot the bill for their maintenance and whatever else revenue they can get

I always thought Wisconsin should use far more toll roads because of all the rich FIBs that drive north

Can you blame the FIBs for wanting to get away from that s**thole?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 12:32 pm

NewTime wrote:
A freeway should be just that, a freeway. I've heard that on parts of I-95 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95 there were planning on starting to make people pay tolls.

It's that way already for I-95.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

The thing with toll roads are, the gas tax will remain because many states have become hooked on it for non-road related items (transportation, bike lanes, and even general budget items) so we will be taxed twice for use of the same road. The problem with Hybrids and Electric cars is that without a tax that take a little at a time, the people who owned these vehicles would protest if the tax was collected all at once at registration time because they would know then what the true tax is. Similar if people had to pay income taxes once a year rather than through 26 easy payments right out of their checks. Also, tolls seem to be a more direct tax than simply hiding the tax in the price of another product (ie gas).

Many areas, particularly those whose roads are used by those who do not live in the state, are looking at tolls as a way to bring in money either to maintain the road or to expand it. The only thing that really gets my goat is when toll roads are sold to private companies. They are looking for at profit (raise tolls and less money put into the road) rather than offering a service. For an example, look at the Indiana Toll Road.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 1:42 pm

Jacoby wrote:
like this? https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/Pages/default.aspx

(ironically texas has had a progressive approach to this issue)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm

It is sort of a pain to have to stop,but I have to admit they are better maintained.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
NewTime wrote:

It's that way already for I-95.

Yeah, Maine Turnpike, New Hampshire Turnpike the I--95 section of the New York State Throughway, NJ Turnpike, and the Delaware turnpike. There was also the former Connecticutt Turnpike as well. I believe that parts of I-95 in Fl. have tolls on them as well.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:48 pm

Either you pay road tax or you have tolls. Your call.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

I'd prefer toll over tax as long as it's reasonable and going where it's supposed to go. That way only the actual users of said highway or bridge are paying.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:14 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
"Pay me now or pay me later", in other words, eh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
I'd prefer toll over tax as long as it's reasonable and going where it's supposed to go. That way only the actual users of said highway or bridge are paying.

In the US your roads are paid for by unspecific taxes or specific taxes for roads?

We have something called road tax.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:18 pm

In the UK we have toll bridges, tunnels and one motorway only.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Feb 2016, 3:18 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Raptor wrote:

In the US your roads are paid for by unspecific taxes or specific taxes for roads?

We have something called road tax.

There is a gasoline tax but most funding for roads comes from state's general funds or the federal government