Why would a Sanders supporter vote Trump? I don't get it.

Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Trump's idea for gaining economic security is building an unsustainable wall across the Mexican border that would do absolutely nothing to stop illegal immigration or increase economic security.

That's his idea for dealing with illegal immigration. For economic security, he supports America-first trade deals and tariffs.

Quote:
Right now Trump is being sued for running a fraudulent operation. I don't understand how people don't understand that he is nothing more than a salesman. If he wasn't born rich he'd be in a parking lot pushing used cars.

I don't think there's anything fraudulent about Trump College. It's not really a college, and isn't meant to be thought of as such (kind of like a grocery store called Food Town isn't really a town). It's a program for buying and selling real estate, the same as many other programs that you see on late-night infomercials.
I agree that Trump is a salesman. I also agree that being born rich helped him get where he is today, but it wasn't the only factor.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:27 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
It threatens the principle of "checks and balances," which, I believe, is a paramount reason why we've never have had a coup d'état.

If one person can threaten a system of checks and balances, then the system isn't doing a very good job.

It wouldn't be just one person. It would basically be the entire executive brach.

The only real check against the government is the people. Any branch of the government can threaten that system if the people are not involved.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:29 pm

Congress certainly had a great deal of influence during the Obama years. By some measures, it was probably more powerful than the Executive Branch.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm

The only thing good about the 2016 election is the fact that people are more passionate about politics, and their future, than at any time since probably the 1960s.

If anything, Trump has made it interesting.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Trump's idea for gaining economic security is building an unsustainable wall across the Mexican border that would do absolutely nothing to stop illegal immigration or increase economic security.

That's his idea for dealing with illegal immigration. For economic security, he supports America-first trade deals and tariffs.

Quote:
Right now Trump is being sued for running a fraudulent operation. I don't understand how people don't understand that he is nothing more than a salesman. If he wasn't born rich he'd be in a parking lot pushing used cars.

I don't think there's anything fraudulent about Trump College. It's not really a college, and isn't meant to be thought of as such (kind of like a grocery store called Food Town isn't really a town). It's a program for buying and selling real estate, the same as many other programs that you see on late-night infomercials.
I agree that Trump is a salesman. I also agree that being born rich helped him get where he is today, but it wasn't the only factor.

He is featured in ads telling lies about the institution like how he hand picked all of the instructors when in reality many had no qualifications at all. There are people who worked in the organization detailing how they were instructed to find economically desperate people and exploit them. It was most definitely a scam.

The reason why Trump keeps talking about that wall is to tell his supporters I'm not going to let Mexicans come and take your job away. It is intrinsically linked to economic security.

And it's pretty well known that those late night commercials are often for crappy overpriced products or useless diet pills. Oh and those ones that were specifically about flipping houses were scams.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:39 pm

Quote:
I agree with keeping manufacturing jobs here, and restricting outsourcing.

But that's not a good reason to vote for somebody like Trump. Find somebody else who exemplifies those ideas.

The only other major candidate who exemplified those ideas was Bernie Sanders.

Quote:
It is instructive to remember that economics was the primary impetus which landed Hitler the Chancellorship of Germany in 1933.

Oh, I'm very aware of that. And you're right, there are many frightening similarities to the current situation. But economic security is a basic need, and people will aim to fulfill that need before giving consideration to any other aspects of a candidate's character. That's why Trump can make all the racist and sexist comments he likes, and it makes no difference to the voters.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:42 pm

Quote:
He is featured in ads telling lies about the institution like how he hand picked all of the instructors when in reality many had no qualifications at all. There are people who worked in the organization detailing how they were instructed to find economically desperate people and exploit them. It was most definitely a scam.

All companies stretch the truth and exploit people. You just have too much faith in business.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
True, but he couldn't very well just end SSI...Without formulating some other replacement program, which would take government legislation and all that still concerning I suppose.

Well, that's not true. They could totally end SSI (and the rest of the safety net) and not replace it with anything. As a matter of fact, that's part of the libertarian party platform, and it is also supported by many TeaParty/GOP folks.
https://www.lp.org/platform
Quote:
2.10 Retirement and Income Security

Retirement planning is the responsibility of the individual, not the government. Libertarians would phase out the current government-sponsored Social Security system and transition to a private voluntary system. The proper and most effective source of help for the poor is the voluntary efforts of private groups and individuals. We believe members of society will become more charitable and civil society will be strengthened as government reduces its activity in this realm.

However, I don't think there are quite enough crazies in congress to pull that off... YET.

But, there is this popular narrative on the right about how SSI and SSDI is full of welfare cheats and that, along with foreign aid, is what's driving up the debt. This is BS of course, but that won't stop them from making DEEP cuts to these programs, and the first people to get benefits cut will be all the people "faking mental illness."

This would be politically popular among Trump supporters, and it will hurt a lot of innocent, vulnerable people.

Quote:
I don't deny there would be plenty to worry about if he became president. I am just not sure the outcome with Hillary as president will really be much better. The democratic party serves the wealthy elite just as much as the republican party...not to mention Hillarys attitude towards the Bernies campaign gives the impression she cares a lot more than winning than she does about the citizens. I also don't like the pressure from Hillarys campaign for women to vote for her over bernie because of her gender.

Look, I voted for Bernie, and I absolutely despise the Clintons, but Hillary will be tons better than any republican.

Hillary won't dismantle the social safety net or cut children's snap benefits.

Hillary won't take away access to healthcare for 100s of 1000s of people.

Hillary won't crash the economy because she doesn't understand economics.

Anyway you slice it, a lot of innocent people will be hurt if Trump/GOP take power.

The only real rational thing to do is hold your nose and vote for Hillary this time...

Then, do what the TeaParty people have done--stay active in the party and support ACTUAL progressives and challenge established candidates in the primaries.

If you do that, you'll push the party to the left and maybe next time we can get a better candidate for president...

That's how the TeaParty got Trump.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:51 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
I agree with keeping manufacturing jobs here, and restricting outsourcing.

But that's not a good reason to vote for somebody like Trump. Find somebody else who exemplifies those ideas.

The only other major candidate who exemplified those ideas was Bernie Sanders.

Quote:
It is instructive to remember that economics was the primary impetus which landed Hitler the Chancellorship of Germany in 1933.

Oh, I'm very aware of that. And you're right, there are many frightening similarities to the current situation. But economic security is a basic need, and people will aim to fulfill that need before giving consideration to any other aspects of a candidate's character. That's why Trump can make all the racist and sexist comments he likes, and it makes no difference to the voters.

Bernie and Hillary voted the same way 93 percent of the time. That's close enough for me.

I just want to add that I am happy to vote for Clinton. I think she will be an incredible president. I think she will be far better than her husband was and I think she might end up being even a little bit better than Obama. Sure she's not perfect but no politician ever is, especially those running for President.

And YippySkippy, he didn't just stretch the truth, he flat out lied. And no I don't have too much faith in business. I just know there's a difference between advertising fluff and straight lies.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

All companies stretch the truth and exploit people. You just have too much faith in business.

This is kind of ironic. Because I believe that Trump's business was a scam and you don't, means that I'm the one with too much faith in business.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Then, do what the TeaParty people have done--stay active in the party and support ACTUAL progressives and challenge established candidates in the primaries.

Yes, the Democratic party does need its own version of the TeaParty.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:59 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

Yes, the Democratic party does need its own version of the TeaParty.

Hey we agree! :cheers:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

This won't do anything but start a trade war and crash the economy.

Despite what you might think, we still manufacture and export a lot of high end, hard to manufacture stuff (lots of industrial/electrical/heavy equipment)... What do you think the Chinese will do to our exports if we slap huge tariffs on theirs?

Trump is stupid and dangerous and he doesn't know ANYTHING about international trade.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

Quote:
This is kind of ironic. Because I believe that Trump's business was a scam and you don't, means that I'm the one with too much faith in business.

To put it another way, I believe I'm being scammed in some way almost every time I exchange cash for something. So in that sense, yes, Trump College is a scam. But not any more of a scam than other businesses and products.

Example: I buy my kids drinks that are supposedly 100% juice. It says 100% juice all over the packaging. If you read the label, though, (and this is true for multiple brands) it says the drink contains juice and "natural flavors". That's not 100% juice, and the government doesn't require companies to divulge what these "natural flavors" are. Also, the word "natural" has no legal definition when it comes to food. In other words, ANYTHING could be in there.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

To put it another way, I believe I'm being scammed in some way almost every time I exchange cash for something. So in that sense, yes, Trump College is a scam. But not any more of a scam than other businesses and products.

Example: I buy my kids drinks that are supposedly 100% juice. It says 100% juice all over the packaging. If you read the label, though, (and this is true for multiple brands) it says the drink contains juice and "natural flavors". That's not 100% juice, and the government doesn't require companies to divulge what these "natural flavors" are. Also, the word "natural" has no legal definition when it comes to food. In other words, ANYTHING could be in there.

There is actually a huge difference in those examples. If we stick to the juice analogy it would be like saying that the drink is made using 100 percent juice when I reality it's all artificial flavoring. One is just shady but common advertising techniques the other is a bold faced lie. There are different degrees of shadiness and Trump falls on the dark side of that line.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 6:30 pm

Just an afterthought YippySkippy, I'm with you on those food label issues. I'm vegan so I've read a lot of ingredient lists and there is a lot of room for improvement.

I remember hearing one of the reasons companies didn't want to add the amount of added sugar to the label is because it would be to expensive to change the labels. It's ridiculous, when gluten free became more widespread companies rushed to put the words gluten free on things.