Page 65 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 108  Next

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
White supremacists, on the other hand, have absolutely no problem with any suggestion that people can be superior or advantaged by accident of birth due to their skin tone. They literally believe that being "white" is a genetically bestowed privilege, just as you do.

No one claims white privilege is genetic, it's social by definition. Thanks for playing.

So you don't believe that white skin is genetic? Excellent! We've solved the problem. Black people have white privilege too.

A postmodern solution to a postmodern problem. Neato.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 4:43 pm

The problem lies in an overactive fantasy life, and an unwillingness - justified or unjustified - to challenge oneself. People avoid dealing with the most difficult problems, and stroke their egos with justifications for copping out.

I know whereof I speak. Life feels like a spinning plate act. From time to time, they come crashing down.

The actual rare snowflake SJW (still waiting to meet one personally) does this. So does the MRA, and I see them here. So does the rural white person who keeps getting screwed by the Rs, and keeps voting for them. Pretty much anyone with nothing but an axe to grind can fall into this same trap.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

The cream clearly does not rise. Look at the US right now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 4:55 pm

adifferentname wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
White supremacists, on the other hand, have absolutely no problem with any suggestion that people can be superior or advantaged by accident of birth due to their skin tone. They literally believe that being "white" is a genetically bestowed privilege, just as you do.

No one claims white privilege is genetic, it's social by definition. Thanks for playing.

So you don't believe that white skin is genetic? Excellent! We've solved the problem. Black people have white privilege too.

A postmodern solution to a postmodern problem. Neato.

White skin is genetic, the privileges it confers within our society are not. Being obtuse doesn't make your position any more valid.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 5:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
White skin is genetic, the privileges it confers within our society are not.

Stop being such an awful racist bigot and calling it white privilege, then.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

XenoMind wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
White skin is genetic, the privileges it confers within our society are not.

Stop being such an awful racist bigot and calling it white privilege, then.

Oh I'm sorry, does it upset you to describe something concisely and accurately? :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Oh I'm sorry, does it upset you to describe something concisely and accurately? :roll:

It upsets me to see a self-righteous racist bigot like you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 6:32 pm

XenoMind wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It upsets me to see a self-righteous racist bigot like you.

Being critical of white privilege doesn't make one racist.
Being critical of white supremacists doesn't make one racist.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Being critical of privilege white or otherwise does not make one a racist.
Believing there is such a thing as white privilege is believing in a racist concept. Making assumptions that a person has or will receive privileges just because the person is white is stereotyping a based on the persons race.

One might argue that the "white privilege" concept is necessary the because prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against "people of color" is a much bigger problem than prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against white people. If you believe that just be honest that you believe the ends justify using an inherently racist concept.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 7:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Believing there is such a thing as white privilege is believing in a racist concept. Making assumptions that a person has or will receive privileges just because the person is white is stereotyping a based on the persons race.

One might argue that the "white privilege" concept is necessary the because prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against "people of color" is a much bigger problem than prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against white people. If you believe that just be honest that you believe the ends justify using an inherently racist concept.

It's not "inherently racist" to point out that such a situation exists. Maybe next you can insist that other similar concepts are 'cisphobic' or 'heterophobic' or whatever nonsense term you need to coin. Just because it offends some people's sense of political correctness doesn't actually make it racist, especially when so far the goal of insisting it's racist is to ultimately shutdown discussion of the idea.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 7:38 pm

Whiteness is a fiction. Give up on it.

If a black person and a white person have a baby, the baby is almost surely going to be black, for all intents and purposes.

Whiteness is an elaborate lie. Of course it has privileges.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's not "inherently racist" to point out that such a situation exists. Maybe next you can insist that other similar concepts are 'cisphobic' or 'heterophobic' or whatever nonsense term you need to coin. Just because it offends some people's sense of political correctness doesn't actually make it racist, especially when so far the goal of insisting it's racist is to ultimately shutdown discussion of the idea.

"because prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against "people of color" is a much bigger problem than prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination against white people." is acknowledging the situation, there are no caveats in that language. I will word it clearer Racism against blacks is a much bigger problem than Racism against whites. That does not change that assuming things about people based on their race is racism. The ultimate goal is point out why the "white privilege" concept is counter productive method of addressing the problem.

"You have white privilege" therefore must have not experienced life as black therefore your opinion is not valid is a form of shutting down discussion. It would be better to say something like white people in general are likely to have less experience with racism so it is a good idea to be open minded when black people discussed their experiences with racism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 8:24 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
If a black person and a white person have a baby, the baby is almost surely going to be black, for all intents and purposes.

If I were a child of a black person and a white person, I'd definitely called myself black. Because of affirmative action quotas and other useful stuff.

Last edited by XenoMind on 17 Jan 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 8:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Just because it offends some people's sense of political correctness doesn't actually make it racist

The idea of giving people privilege or penalizing them due to their skin color is textbook racism. Period.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 11:07 pm

XenoMind wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

If I were a child of a black person and a white person, I'd definitely called myself black. Because of affirmative action quotas and other useful stuff.

You don't actually get to choose. Whiteness is a lie.

Other useful stuff? You don't really get statistics, do you?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 11:14 pm

XenoMind wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Just because it offends some people's sense of political correctness doesn't actually make it racist

The idea of giving people privilege or penalizing them due to their skin color is textbook racism. Period.

I agree with you here. Did you know that people get proportionately harsher penalties for the same criminal offenses based on skin tone? Not just white or not white, but people get longer sentences for the same crime for having relatively darker skin.

To be fair, any taller, handsomer, or more conventionally attractive people get lighter sentences, but that distinction has not been the subject of enslavement. Certainly, Ugly Laws resulted in a sort of genocide for disabled people.

If you haven't made the most of not getting charged with crimes at a higher rate, don't blame black people who didn't have that privilege.