Page 50 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 108  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Mar 2017, 8:52 am

Darmok wrote:
Haven't had anything to be outraged about for the last 15 minutes? Well we've got something for you: white girls wearing hoop earrings! :lol:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/10/colle ... -backlash/

And how would they feel if white people starting asking her to stop appropriating white culture?

I know the answer will be 'well ackshully, whites haven't been victims of systematic oppression therefor can't be victims of racism' therefor it's apparently okay to systematically oppress whites. This is the problem with all the bleeding hearts, they talk all about multiculturalism is such a great thing but at the same time how straight white men are the source of all the worlds problems apparently and that we apparently have 'no culture'. We have to be tolerant of all other cultures but they are the least tolerant people on Earth and that is towards their own countrymen and culture, suicidal self hatred.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 10:17 am

There is no "white" culture.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Mar 2017, 10:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

But there is a black and hispanic culture? You've absorbed too much self-hating propaganda if you believe that. Yes, there is most definitely an American culture which includes other races but the biggest part of that is white America.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 11:02 am

Jacoby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

But there is a black and hispanic culture? You've absorbed too much self-hating propaganda if you believe that. Yes, there is most definitely an American culture which includes other races but the biggest part of that is white America.

I'm curious, what would be an example of white culture?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

You don't know me, buddy. I haven't absorbed any "self-hating" propaganda. People of the Caucasian "race" in America tend to identify with their ethnic groups, or identify as Americans. The fact of their skin color usually doesn't enter into the equation. I don't know anyone who identifies as "white."

I identify as a New Yorker much more than I identify as any ethnicity.

It's a fact that slavery separated people of African origins from their ethnic group. In Africa, people don't tend to identify as "black," and think of black Americans as being more American than black. They identify with their ethnic group.

Black American culture is, at least partially, a reaction to this forcible separation from their ethnic group.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

This is probably a problem of mine, but I tend to group what other people call a culture into separate cultures. I don't think America has a Native American, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc culture. I tend to lean towards area being more of a culture.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 11:40 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He just provided an example. Within the context, "X culture", as used when talking about "black culture" or "Asian culture", is typically an over-simplified generalisation of the perception of cultural differences found within identified subcultures within the US. They're marked out by how they differ to the cultural norms of America, which would, by extension, be considered "white culture" within the flawed model being used.

More accurate is to state that the wider culture in America is formed of the wide range of different subcultures which have influenced and adapted to one another within it. Black, white, Asian, European, African, etc are not monolithic cultural groups and certainly do not exist within cultural vacuums. The entire premise of "X culture" is flawed, as is the notion that "cultural appropriation" is somehow a negative thing.

BettaPonic wrote:
This is probably a problem of mine, but I tend to group what other people call a culture into separate cultures. I don't think America has a Native American, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc culture. I tend to lean towards area being more of a culture.

Indeed. So it would be far more appropriate to talk about e.g. "Irish culture" rather than "white culture", with further refinements to "Dublin culture" and then "Bray culture".

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 11:43 pm

adifferentname wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He just provided an example. Within the context, "X culture", as used when talking about "black culture" or "Asian culture", is typically an over-simplified generalisation of the perception of cultural differences found within identified subcultures within the US. They're marked out by how they differ to the cultural norms of America, which would, by extension, be considered "white culture" within the flawed model being used.

More accurate is to state that the wider culture in America is formed of the wide range of different subcultures which have influenced and adapted to one another within it. Black, white, Asian, European, African, etc are not monolithic cultural groups and certainly do not exist within cultural vacuums. The entire premise of "X culture" is flawed, as is the notion that "cultural appropriation" is somehow a negative thing.

BettaPonic wrote:

Indeed. So it would be far more appropriate to talk about e.g. "Irish culture" rather than "white culture", with further refinements to "Dublin culture" and then "Bray culture".

I would be more likely for race to play no part in it. For example Chicago culture or NOVA culture.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 12:31 am

There is a white culture. It is western culture.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 4:19 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Darmok wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
There has been a surge in anti-Semitic incidents since the election of Trump.

I can't say for sure that the election of Trump caused this----but this is occurring.
Here's a good review from Jewish law professor David Bernstein in the Washington Post:

The great anti-Semitism panic of 2017

... There is also a general sense among Jews, at least liberal Jews, that Trump’s supporters are significantly more anti-Semitic than the public at large. I have many times asked for empirical evidence that supports this proposition, and have so far come up empty. I don’t rule out the possibility that it’s true, but there doesn’t seem to be any survey or other evidence supporting it. Given that American subgroups with the highest proportions of anti-Semites — African Americans, first-generation Hispanic immigrants, Muslims and high school dropouts — are strong Democratic constituencies (though the latter group appears to have gone narrowly for Trump this time), one certainly can’t simply presume that Trump has a disproportionate number of anti-Semitic supporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... c-of-2017/
There's likely a few factors.

Trump has courted far-right, white supremacist/white nationalist groups more openly than any previous mainstream political candidate in recent memory. Outspoken white supremacists have gone out of their way to express their support for him. This of course doesn't mean that he agrees with those positions or that he sympathizes, but it certainly might.

Most people tend to assume that white racists must be white supremacists.
Most people tend to assume that right-leaning, white racists must be Nazis and therefore anti-Semitic.

This ignores that many right-leaning white racists strongly support Israel, many racists (white or otherwise) are bigoted towards certain groups but not all groups unlike themselves, that not all antisemitism comes from Nazis/white supremacists and that fascism isn't an inherently racism ideology, among things.

I'm very interested in seeing these incidents investigated.
Those liberals love making assumptions. Just how if you voted for Trump they assume you're a deplorable racist sexist homophobic trans-phobic anti-abortion anti-contraception puppy murdering caricature.

Note that I'm not pro-trump or pro-republican or pro-democrat or pro-anyone.

Of course the bible thumping racist rednecks are pro-Israel because the Israelites are the good guys in the bible. The bible is full of casual racism towards other groups like the Canaanites BTW.

My theory is that the SJWs are the real anti-semites because they support Muslim culture, which is anti-semitic.

The SJWs aren't smart enough to understand the paradox of tolerance, that is, should we tolerate the intolerant. The SJWs want to tolerate all culture, including Muslim culture. The Muslim culture is an intolerant anti-semitic culture. So they're advocating a culture of intolerance. If you don't belief me, try reading the first few pages of the Qoran. It's available for free, online in English. Even the first few pages are full of anti-semitism (particularly the second surah).

Now don't think that I'm pro-Israel and anti-muslim or vice versa. I'm not pro anything. I'm neutral like Switzerland.True that muslim anti-semitism is pretty repugnant but so is what the Israelites have done in Palestine so I figure they're even. I'm not anti-muslim but I'm anti-nationalism.
Most of those observations I made aren't limited to liberals. Moderate centrists seem just as likely to make them as liberals, especially uninformed moderates vs. more knowledgeable liberals.

You might want to check your own assumptions before you go bashing others for theirs, since there's enough ignorance in your assumptions that you're in no place to criticize others for demonstrating a similar level.

Also, spell check is your friend.
Which assumptions did I make?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 7:20 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
There is a white culture. It is western culture.

I would disagree, America for the example is about thirty percent non white. I personally consider places like China either western or westernizing.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

Who said Western culture started in America?

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:25 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Who said Western culture started in America?

I was giving an example of a western country with a high non-white population. England is about 80 percent white.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:43 am

I get it. You're saying western culture can be found in non-white countries. That's ok, culture originating outside of the west can be found in America. The melting of culture is a beautiful thing. My point is that Western culture started with white folks.

I don't believe anyone can or should own culture. Like all culture western culture belongs to the whole world but it's wrong to say there's no white culture. Us white folks even have our own music like this for example.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:49 am

BettaPonic wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

BettaPonic wrote:

I would be more likely for race to play no part in it. For example Chicago culture or NOVA culture.

You can't eradicate race completely from culture. The geographical regions we call nations are partially informed by the historic racial and ideological homogeneity (broadly speaking) within them, regardless of the integration of new peoples and ideas. It's such a dynamic and fluid process, however, that it's impossible to find anything close to "pure" racial culture short of discovering small isolated tribes of peoples in deepest, darkest Africa.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I get it. You're saying western culture can be found in non-white countries. That's ok, culture originating outside of the west can be found in America. The melting of culture is a beautiful thing. My point is that Western culture started with white folks.

I don't believe anyone can or should own culture. Like all culture western culture belongs to the whole world but it's wrong to say there's no white culture. Us white folks even have our own music like this for example.

Bach's music was divinely inspired by the figurehead of a religion which predates the Western culture which it influenced. Christianity didn't start with white Europeans.