you can't actually know when a woman might die from a pregna

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm

Quote:
But either way, if you make one exception for abortion than really, you're saying the medical procedure of abortion itself is OK. It's just you don't think women ourselves actually have the right to choose an abortion,and thus iltimately be able to make choices about our own lives and health. We need Very Moral Men like you to decide when it might be OK for us to have an abortion--like if we might die. How gracious of you! Buuuuuut giving that ANY pregnancy can be life-treatening because pregnancy is inherently a risky biological event, I wonder where we are suppose to draw the line? Any OB-Gyn will tell you you can't actually know when a woman "might die" from a pregancy until she actually has died, and then,whoops, it's a little too late your crusading moralizing! What a pickle!

Is it true that you can't actually know when a woman might die from a pregnancy until she has actually died?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

No.

SerinaSings
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

NewTime wrote:
Quote:
...giving that ANY pregnancy can be life-treatening because pregnancy is inherently a risky biological event, I wonder where we are suppose to draw the line? Any OB-Gyn will tell you you can't actually know when a woman "might die" from a pregancy until she actually has died, and then,whoops, it's a little too late your crusading moralizing! What a pickle!

Is it true that you can't actually know when a woman might die from a pregnancy until she has actually died?

Uuuuhhh, NO. Pregnancy itself is not inherently risky or life-threatening. The female body is exceptionally well designed to be able to create, grow and sustain a new life inside her. There can be complications of course, and often these can be foreseen with competent medical care, but not always. Sometimes unexpected and unforeseen things can happen, this is true, but the above quote is a HUGE overstatement of the risk of PREGNANCY.

Giving birth IS much more risky than the pregnancy itself, which is why there have historically been much higher rates of deaths while giving birth, but those risks are ALMOST entirely mitigated by competent medical care nowadays. The rate of infant or mother fatalities now hovers around 1 to 2% in the developed world.

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

I think it depends on how you define "inherently risky". 1-2% mortality rate (with advanced medical intervention) isn't anything to sneeze at. Plus, there's no parallel to this for men, so any non-zero risk makes this conversation tricky.

That aside, there are two general camps of risk: spontaneous and life-style based. Spontaneous risk (placental abruption, other hemorrhage, toxemia to a certain extent) are hard to predict and have devastating effects really quickly. So, it's more appropriate to say that doctors don't know whether or not a woman might die until she's in the middle of the event that might kill her, not until she's already dead. The vast majority of pregnant women get intervention in the middle of these horrible events. It's super rare for a pregnant woman to just die with absolutely no warning, and when that happens it's usually only tangentially related to the pregnancy, if at all (brain aneurysm).

The risks of lifestyle choices are of course easier to predict, but there's still usually some limited time for intervention.

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 4:02 pm

The one thing that is absolutely true is that your risk of death increases when you become pregnant. By how much depends on several factors. But it's not 0 for any woman.

Whether or not you consider that increased risk to be material to decisions related to reproduction is personal.

(In case it's relevant: I was pregnant with triplets but had twins.)

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

Interestingly enough, and I think relevant: one of the ways that a woman's danger level increases when pregnant is her chance of experiencing domestic violence/abuse.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy- ... gnant.aspx

http://www.babycenter.com/0_domestic-vi ... 1356253.bc

http://www.thehotline.org/2013/07/pregn ... -9-months/

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 7:16 pm

It doesn't makes sense to randomly guess at risk when it's well known that certain factors make pregnancy very risky and others don't.

If you develop pre-eclampsia or any other Hypertension issue, you are at serious risk and need to act.

If you have gestational diabetes, you need to take steps to control your blood sugar.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... lly-deadly

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 7:38 pm

Who is guessing at risk? No medical professional will say that risk is 0 for any woman. And it's a risk for which there's no equivalent for men.

Side note: sounds like the thread that this came from was fairly heated...?