Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 8:35 am

Don't let someone like Trump run you off. It sends the wrong message. You have just as much right to be here as him. You have to stand firm, be tough and do not flee from the bully if you really believe in democracy which I know is the reason the majority of you chose America just like my family did, too. We are the reason democracy exists. It's our principles. It is what we believe. Gotta stay tough and stay strong to prove our point!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2016, 8:47 am

Trump has never said anything about removing Mexican or Muslim Americans citizens who are here legally. If you are an illegal alien then you have to go back and immigrate the right way, America is much much more tolerant of this than probably any other civilized country in the world and we have a right as a sovereign nation to control our borders and who we do or don't let it. If you illegally enter Mexico, it carries a stiff sentence in Mexican prison and if you think American prisons were bad...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:10 am

Jacoby, legal immigrants might want to leave because they sense an environment that will be more hostile is in the works but I would advise not to since this is the type of thing that erodes a democracy. These intimidation tactics are a form of fascism. Fascists count on people being weak, passive and elusive. That's how they erode democracy but this isn't how democracy works.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:14 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Jacoby, legal immigrants might want to leave because they sense an environment that will be more hostile is in the works but I would advise not to since this is the type of thing that erodes a democracy.

Democracy is about the freedom to choose. That includes the right to make bad choices. If they decide the US is not for them because of arbitrary characteristics, who are you to argue?

Quote:
These intimidation tactics are a form of fascism.

Being scared of the boogieman is not evidence of fascism.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:16 am

It is expensive to live there, but assuming that Trump doesn't trash Wall Street, I may be soon able to retire in Hawaii, a more cosmopolitan part of the USA.

If you are really smart and here legally on an H1B visa, it may be a good idea to go home now before things get really bad. There are lots of angry people who may do stupid things that will kill people.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:32 am

You just can't conflate legal immigration with illegal immigration, one is a criminal and the other is somebody that did everything the right way. If immigrants want to return to their home countries then more power to them if they are fortunate enough to be able to do that, the fearmongering and intimidation comes from the sensationalist media. What has Trump actually done? Nothing, he's not even president yet.

Our future first lady is a legal immigrant, the first in the White House since 1825. Trump's mother was an immigrant, I don't think Trump has anything against people here legally.

Hopefully step 1 for Trump is federally defunding sanctuary cities, perhaps we can use a bit of that cash to fund the wall. This well within federal authority and it is common for the feds to withhold funding from the states to get them to do what they want as they did with the national drinking age and highway funds.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:39 am

Trump has made people angry and ready to start a civil war, if necessary. We are already seeing protests in the streets. I'd equate the election with a battle--rarely is a single battle decisive. Japan made that mistake with Pearl Harbor--it certainly didn't intimidate the USA in 1941.

Defunding cities that supported Clinton could be viewed as retaliation for the vote. Retaliation didn't work out so well for Christie--he got stuck in traffic on his way to the White House.

Last edited by BTDT on 12 Nov 2016, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

BTDT wrote:
Trump has made people angry and ready to start a civil war, if necessary. We are already seeing protests in the streets. I'd equate the election with a battle--rarely is a single battle decisive. Japan made that mistake with Pearl Harbor--it certainly didn't intimidate the USA in 1941.

Defunding cities that supported Clinton could be viewed as retaliation for the vote. Retaliation didn't work out so well for Christie--he got stuck in traffic on his way to the White House.

There won't be a civil war and cities that voted for Clinton won't be defunded.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 10:22 am

adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Jacoby, legal immigrants might want to leave because they sense an environment that will be more hostile is in the works but I would advise not to since this is the type of thing that erodes a democracy.

Democracy is about the freedom to choose. That includes the right to make bad choices. If they decide the US is not for them because of arbitrary characteristics, who are you to argue?

Quote:

It's not the boogie man it's angry people egged on by a leader who panders to their unreasonable expectations of everyone being exactly the same and those who are not are bad or inferior. Democracy is about not being intimidated by those who have a single vision of the world and insist everyone conform.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

Aspies here on H1B visas are unlikely to "blend in"--don't most Aspies stick out like sore thumbs in the workplace?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 10:52 am

BTDT wrote:

Nonsense, it's not retaliation, there are plenty of cities that voted for Clinton that are not 'sanctuary cities' and if they stopped being 'sanctuary cities' then they can get their federal funding back. Same way the feds leverage states with highway funds, it's perfectly legitimate and needs to be done. No longer should these places be allowed to disobey federal immigration laws, the vast majority of Americans oppose these policies by these states. It would be a legitimate use of the reconciliation measure as it is budgetary related so it can be passed by the senate by simple majority. They already have the votes I believe.

Any idiot that wants to try to start a civil war in this country would end up dead or in prison so good luck with that, which side has all the guns and is more prepared to use them? Let the dodos try to secede and they can see for themselves how little actual support they have for such extremist measures and rhetoric.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:04 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Quote:

It's not the boogie man it's angry people egged on by a leader who panders to their unreasonable expectations of everyone being exactly the same and those who are not are bad or inferior. Democracy is about not being intimidated by those who have a single vision of the world and insist everyone conform.

Republicans tolerated 8 years of Obama, if they ever acted like Democrats now they would of been branded literal Nazis. They were still called Nazis for primarying their own party and wearing silly tricorn hats, so this rioting and threatening violence on the streets is the height of hypocrisy. I agree that democracy is not about being intimidated by those have a single vision of the world and insist everyone conform, we weren't and that's why Trump won. Democracy has spoken, you lost so now it's our turn. Hillary supporters are the ones that act like fascists, it's always been said that 'Republicans just think Democrats are stupid whereas Democrats think Republicans are evil' and that hatred and intolerance of differing opinions they carry with them is their fatal flaw. I disagree with that quote since I think a lot of Democrats fit pretty well into the evil category as well as the stupid one but I digress. Acting like religious fanatics, evangelical progressivism is not rational or able to be reasoned with similarly. I think of Barry Goldwater's quote about religious right

Quote:
“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

Jacoby wrote:
Trump has never said anything about removing Mexican or Muslim Americans citizens who are here legally.

Lots of Americans could be said to be in the US illegally in the sense their ancestors invaded Native American territory. Now the perverse thing is some of those get to say who is legal or illegal.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:26 am

firemonkey wrote:
Lots of Americans could be said to be in the US illegally in the sense their ancestors invaded Native American territory. Now the perverse thing is some of those get to say who is legal or illegal.

That one's turtles all the way down.

Do you know for sure that they didn't kill a previous indigenous race of people and take their lands?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:45 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

The violent intimidation is coming from the anti-Trump camp, not from his supporters. As for "unreasonable expectations of everyone being exactly the same", that's a complete fabrication of your own design. Stop listening to uninformed commentators and biased media and listen to what these people have to say for themselves.

This idiocy of painting all your political opponents as rabid, hateful bigots is disgusting, unproductive and (duh) bigoted - it's also the primary reason your candidate failed.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:57 am

firemonkey wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Trump has never said anything about removing Mexican or Muslim Americans citizens who are here legally.

An Englishman shouldn't be lecturing anybody about oppression especially of indigenous peoples, our country was born out of your ancestor's oppression of mine. You can try to disown the legacy but America was a British colony so your country would share plenty of the blame for the actions of your ancestors in this country as well but they're guilty of far far worse than that of course. Personally, I don't feel responsible for something I had no hand in and that happened 100-400+ years ago.

The US is a sovereign nation and has every right to protect it's borders, it has every right to decide who can and can't come to this country. I always find the American Indian argument funny, if we're the illegals in this scenario and we look at their fate doesn't that completely justify the point in keeping illegal immigrants out?