Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 2:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Thousands of dollars out of pocket is what every working class person is dealing with now. The ones who were getting Cadillac plans from large employers, no longer have those, and are now also paying thousands of dollars out of pocket. How is that any kind of improvement? Like I said, so far I have never (as far as I know) seen someone who has to work 40 or more hours per week doing a job that pays basic wages, saying they like Obamacare.
The only people who seem to be for it, are those who don't suffer from it.

working class people (NOT lower middle class people like LPNs and teachers and mechanics and such, but mcjobs-type people caring for your children in daycare or serving your hamburger or mopping your floor) generally do not get health benefits outside of Obamacare, and if you ask them they will to a person tell you it is still better than the big fat nothing which existed for them pre-PPACA.

My aunt and all her coworkers are lower middle-class. The ones the fight for $15 is for. That's the working class I'm talking about, who have to pay $200 per month for just one person for a $7,500 deductible for very limited coverage plan, that is for the most part a big fat nothing + a big fat headache.

pezar wrote:
The problem with O-care is that the working poor, the burger flippers and janitors, are getting lots of "free" goodies

No, that was before Obamacare.

One of the biggest and worst lies ever told by a US President:

Last edited by EzraS on 13 Jan 2017, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 2:37 am

^^^^having lived well before the PPACA era during the REAL "big fat nothing" [even before EMTALA which the GOP has its sights set on repealing as well] I can tell you that $200 and $7500 deductibles are a HELLUVA lot better than no insurance at all [somebody my age would have to pay $500/month on a catastrophic-only plan] and no medical care at all, what with most physicians' offices refusing to treat the uninsured, literally being dumped out on the street. perspective, man, perspective.

Last edited by auntblabby on 13 Jan 2017, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 2:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
^^^^having lived well before the PPACA era during the REAL "big fat nothing" [even before EMTALA which the GOP has its sights set on repealing as well] I can tell you that $200 and $7500 deductibles are a HELLUVA lot better than no insurance at all [somebody my age would have to pay $500/month on a catastrophic-only plan] and no medical care at all, what with most physicians' offices refusing to treat the uninsured, literally being dumped out on the street. perspective, man, perspective.

So you're saying my aunt, who's a struggling single mother, who has to practically work 2 jobs to cover medical insurance for her kid, is doing a HELLUVA lot better than before Obamacare? And you're saying someone your age can afford $200 month plus $7,500 out pocket working a job that pays minimum wage? And it was all going to get a lot more costly in 2018. Still going to stick with what a godsend Obamacare is? I admire your devotion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 3:12 am

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

So you're saying my aunt, who's a struggling single mother, who has to practically work 2 jobs to cover medical insurance for her kid, is doing a HELLUVA lot better than before Obamacare? And you're saying someone your age can afford $200 month plus $7,500 out pocket working a job that pays minimum wage? And it was all going to get a lot more costly in 2018. Still going to stick with what a godsend Obamacare is? I admire your devotion.

I am 1] not criticizing your family in any way, and 2] YES she is doing better because she would not have been able to get insurance beforehand unless she was wealthy. I maintain that $200/month is still better than $1000+ a month plus pre-existing conditions clauses plus $10k+ deductibles. IOW she likely would have been without heath care unless she made substantially more than minimum-wage. that is the reality pre-ACA. NOT saying ACA was perfect, lord knows I beetched and moaned about it, but I also recognize that half a loaf is still better than NONE.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 5:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I am 1] not criticizing your family in any way, and 2] YES she is doing better because she would not have been able to get insurance beforehand unless she was wealthy. I maintain that $200/month is still better than $1000+ a month plus pre-existing conditions clauses plus $10k+ deductibles. IOW she likely would have been without heath care unless she made substantially more than minimum-wage. that is the reality pre-ACA. NOT saying ACA was perfect, lord knows I beetched and moaned about it, but I also recognize that half a loaf is still better than NONE.

As I already stated, she had been doing the same work under two employers since 1991, and in all that time she got free healthcare with a $200-$300 annual deductible with 70% coverage, working a couple of dollars above minimum wage, in an industry that employs many millions.

She and millions like her had such plans until Obamacare kicked in. Her employer fought to maintain their employee healthcare plan, but in 2011 they were FORCED by the government to scrap it to the objection of every single employee. Even though Obama promised up and down over 30 times, that people who liked their plan could keep their plan.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 5:10 am

not to diminish your relation's pain, but your relation was a LOT luckier than me in that I've NEVER gotten totally "free" healthcare, even when I had a civil service job. your relation's experience of totally free health care is not that common in the world of lower-middle class work not to mention working class work where it is rare as hens' teeth.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 5:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
your relation was a LOT luckier than me in that I've NEVER gotten totally "free" healthcare, even when I had a civil service job. your relation's experience is not that common in the world of lower-middle class work not to mention working class work.

Millions upon millions of workers are in the same boat as her. And they're all cheering because there's a chance that Obamacare is finally being replaced with something that's actually affordable. People in the food service industry, people in the hotel industry, people in the maintenance industry, people in the private security industry, cable installers, etc etc may finally now get a break. Plus the 6.5 million people who have to pay a substantial penalty, because they can't afford Obamacare.

One thing I'm wondering is if Trump is going to be able cancel that substantial penalty millions of poor people are expected to pay at tax time this year.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 6:13 am

^^^what part of GOP "repeal AND DELAY" suggests REPLACEMENT with something affordable? that is the question of the year. and the penalty is avoidable by filing IRS exemption form 8965, for a long list of reasons including premiums representing more than 8% of income.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^what part of GOP "repeal AND DELAY" suggests REPLACEMENT with something affordable? that is the question of the year. and the penalty is avoidable by filing IRS exemption form 8965, for a long list of reasons including premiums representing more than 8% of income.

Putting some facts with this ....

That exemption is based on the national average Bronze plan premium.

For 2016 that number is $223 per month.

See page 17
2016 Instructions for Form 8965
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8965.pdf

$223* 12 months =$2676
Adjusted Gross Income * .08% < $2676
Adjusted Gross Income < $2676 / .08
So, Adjusted Gross Income < $33,450

Make simply an Adjusted Gross Income of $33,451 and you cannot take the 8% exemption.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:24 pm

I've said it, before----and, I'm saying it, again----I will never understand, in a million years, why / how Obamacare could have been made MANDATORY; talk about a too far-reaching government!!

I mean, the whole reason this country was founded, was for FREEDOM; and, telling people that they don't have a CHOICE in healthcare plans, is just BEYOND insanity, IMO----aside from the fact that the government shouldn't be, IMO, telling people what THEY think is best, for people; again, taking-away their freedom.

IMO, government should ONLY be VERY basic----for maintaining justice, defense, economy, commerce, and stuff like that----and, when the government starts campin'-out on people's front porches (Obamacare), it's gone too far!!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 6:32 pm

I think quite simply Obamacare should have been available to those who wanted it. It should have been an option. I'm sure there are some who have benefited from it. But there's millions who were totally screwed by it being forced and made mandatory for everyone.

"If you like your current insurance, you keep that insurance, period, end of story." - Barack Obama, July 17, 2009 = LIAR

auntblabby wrote:

Repeal and replace simultaneously is what I heard from Trump on Nov 16 in his interview with Lesley Stahl, and Paul Ryan confirmed that the GOP will repeal/replace Obamacare at same time, today Jan 13 on CNN town hall.

This "GOP "repeal AND DELAY" thing is something I've only heard from leftists.

I'll look into IRS exemption form 8965, but my guess is like with the subsidy you also suggested, most people will not qualify for it. Most likely the majority will have to fork out at least $650, when it's estimated 6 out of 10 working class people have less than $500 in savings.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

There had been plans during the early Clinton years to extend healthcare to the millions of uninsured. The Republican response had been: What healthcare crisis? They fought tooth and nail to stop giving medical coverage to the uninsured then, just as they did with Obama, simply because their conservative ideology makes them reject any plan to give "free things" at taxpayer expense to the undeserving. Now, we're supposed to trust these same right wing idealogues?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Make simply an Adjusted Gross Income of $33,451 and you cannot take the 8% exemption.

if I made that much moolah every year I would not complain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

EzraS wrote:
Repeal and replace simultaneously is what I heard from Trump on Nov 16 in his interview with Lesley Stahl, and Paul Ryan confirmed that the GOP will repeal/replace Obamacare at same time, today Jan 13 on CNN town hall.

what makes you think they will do what they say? why do you trust those people? I've got a bridge back east i'd like to sell ya.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

what makes you think they will do what they say? why do you trust those people? I've got a bridge back east i'd like to sell ya.

You mean trust things promised like: "If you like your current insurance, you keep that insurance, period, end of story." - Barack Obama, July 17, 2009?

But the issue is they say that they are going to repeal/replace simultaneously. As opposed to leftist claiming their plan is just to eliminate Obamacare and leave everyone without any coverage. That's what I was addressing. Do I trust that's really Trump's plan? Pretty much yes. Do I think he will be successful? Pretty much yes to that as well. I think the Donald knows how to get what he wants.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm

i can't trust that a party that has spent the last century fighting working-class health care tooth and nail, now has suddenly done a 180 and wants to extend heath care to the working class. I cannot believe them.