Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

Even if this license to kill turns into a proper WW, there will be debate about where it started. Bin Laden was anti-communist, so we can blame the Russian invasion. It might come down to the first battle with troops from a serious challenger. Not the turbaned Mansons of ISIS.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 1:17 am

Mikah wrote:
Quote:
The quiet ones will be just one more group that feels horribly betrayed because the US made big promises

ISIS and the other fictional moderates who were supposed to replace Assad? Boo-hoo. Can't say I care much. Fortunately Trump has promised to team up with Putin and kill them all. Dead people can't feel horrible about betrayal.

You should be ashamed of yourself for cheering on genocide.

Watching the first interview. The logical extension of not telegraphing your moves is apparently not telling anyone before sending in the armed forces. Including America.

I guess people who believe that only he can save us will like the sound of that. He will release his reasons eventually.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

Regarding the classical WWIII that I mentioned in my first post in this thread, y'know, global thermonuclear war

Doomsday clock reset to 2 1/2 minutes

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 3:34 pm

If the OP had not screwed up and had not gotten his facts so ass-backward he could have found some actual similarities between our time and the era of the two World Wars to argue his case. He actually almost hit the nail on the head.

The country of Spain stayed out of both of the two World Wars that enveloped the rest of Europe. But between the world wars Spain had a bloody civil war that killed as many of it's people as a world war would have.

The Spanish Civil War of 1936 to 1939 that brought Franco to power was later nicknamed "the dress rehearsal for World War Two". Its called that for a number of reasons. But mainly because foreign powers got drawn into the war to support one or the other of the opposing sides. Further- the opposing teams of nations that formed in supporting the two sides in Spain were the same two teams of nations that would later directly fight each other in the European Theater of World War Two:the Western democracies-and the Soviet Union- supported the Loyalists: and Hitler and Mussolini joined in supporting Franco's fascist side.

Its hard not to see similarities to the current civil war in Syria.

The many factions in the multisided Syrian Civil War immediately became pawns in,not one, but on two chessboards: the regional chess game between the two local rival powers of Saudi Arabia, and Iran; and also at the same time pawns in the global chess game between the world powers (The US, NATO, and Russia).

So if Spain was the dress rehearsal for World War Two, is Syria the dress rehearsal for World War Three?

Thats the question the OP should have asked.

If so then we can already sense who the cast of opening night of the real play will be (based on watching the dress rehearsal): Russia, Iran, and every Shiite Arab faction in the mideast, on one side;and the US, NATO, Saudi Arabia, Sunni dominated Arab regimes, and Israel, on the other.

Tomzy95
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2017, 5:47 am

No, we avoided that when Hillary lost.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 5:51 am

Tomzy95 wrote:
No, we avoided that when Hillary lost.

Worst zinger ever, Lambchop

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

No, we are not because the US government is already in Cold War 2.0.