Genderfluidity implications for gay and autistic rights?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:19 am

I am not making a statement about the genderfluid identity. As a person is who is 59 all of these gender identities seem to have come out of nowhere. While the temptation is to dismiss it as a fad, as person who was diagnosed as ASD at age 55 I can certainly understand that something can always be there but not recognized and how hurtful "trendy" claims can be. My position on the gender identities social revolution is I do not know what I do not know.

Both the LBGQT and the autism rights movement which was inspired by and influenced by LBGQT rights have as thier central tenant something along the lines of "we were born and will always be this way". The Genderfluid and the Neurofluid identity likely to soon follow calls this whole "we will always be this way" into question.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:37 am

I have written elsewhere on WP about the research studies that I read during the 2015 IMFAR International Meeting for Autism Research. The studies agreed generally that, while they were generally few, there appeared to be some consistency (about 10 percent) in the rates of autism and sexual differences between each group.

Flashback to the 1990s and since, British-American neuroscientist Simon LeVay ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_LeVay ) performed some interesting research of brain structures and sexual orientation.

So, if we compare each set of studies, there appears to be some "there, there."

As to the socio-political understanding of the phenomenon, people will stumble into chosen lingo and perceptions until such time that the various ideas gel into a degree of certitude.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:00 am

That's interesting. The commonality between "we were born this way" and "we identify this way now" though is that people choose their behavior but not their feelings, or even their thoughts most of the time. Even behavioral choices are somewhat of an illusion, but that's a discussion for another thread.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:07 am

DataB4 wrote:
That's interesting. The commonality between "we were born this way" and "we identify this way now" though is that people choose their behavior but not their feelings, or even their thoughts most of the time. Even behavioral choices are somewhat of an illusion, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Indeed. And, the social influences are significant. With any socially identified group, there will be others who convince themselves that they are part of the group. Fair enough, in my opinion. Those who join on a whim usually get quickly bored with their choice.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

If somebody wants to think of themselves as "genderfluid" or whatever, it's none of my business, really. That's their business. It doesn't matter if they were "born that way" or if they just "feel it."

As long as they don't shove their "identity" down my throat, just like I wouldn't shove my "cis-maleness" down anybody's throat. As long as I'm not upbraided for having "privilege" because I am a "cis-straight male."

We're people, after all. We are more than mere gender/sex identity.

I feel, sometimes, that there is some Wolfman in me.......so, in a way, I'm "fluid" in my species identity :P

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:56 am

Off topic

kraftiekortie wrote:

I feel, sometimes, that there is some Wolfman in me.......so, in a way, I'm "fluid" in my species identity :P

Clap for the Wolfman

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 12:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Off topic

kraftiekortie wrote:

Clap for the Wolfman

Indeed! Only kk can write just inside the lines of WP propriety to make something tame seem almost lurid. :lol:

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 1:07 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
what are you referring to with 'there, there'?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

Fugu wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
what are you referring to with 'there, there'?

A slight reference to the Gertrude Stein quotation about her childhood home in Oakland, Calif., "There is no there there." So, if the studies that I mentioned hold any validity, they would have some "there, there."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 1:27 pm

It's not actually that new.....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)