Page 3 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

As I recall, during a couple Republican Presidential primaries back, Newt Gingrich was pretty much leading the pack until he started babbling about establishing a colony on the moon that could eventually become the 51st state.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
It's been nearly 50 years since the Apollo 11 mission.
It seems hard to believe 50 years ago we had the technology and capability to achieve this. Things were very primitive then compared to now technologically. Yet these days a craft capable of just going out into space is nonexistent. No other country has managed it or even attempted it. There's talk of private business offering space flight in the future. Here it is about 50 later since we supposedly ventured out into space, and yet these days manned craft going out into space beyond the Van Allen belts something that might take place in the future.

Um... the Russians go into space on a regular basis. They do it all the time. It's routine for them. What on (or off) Earth are you babbling on about?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 1:27 am

Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
It's been nearly 50 years since the Apollo 11 mission.
It seems hard to believe 50 years ago we had the technology and capability to achieve this. Things were very primitive then compared to now technologically. Yet these days a craft capable of just going out into space is nonexistent. No other country has managed it or even attempted it. There's talk of private business offering space flight in the future. Here it is about 50 later since we supposedly ventured out into space, and yet these days manned craft going out into space beyond the Van Allen belts something that might take place in the future.

Um... the Russians go into space on a regular basis. They do it all the time. It's routine for them. What on (or off) Earth are you babbling on about?

How far away from Earth into outer space have they travled in manned spacecraft?

I mean manned missions into deep space out past the Van Allen belts etc.

Not manned missions that orbit the earth or unmanned deep space probes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:10 am

To the Moon, Alice.....250,000 from Earth.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:43 am

EzraS wrote:
...How far away from Earth into outer space have they travled in manned spacecraft?

My uncle worked his whole life in aerospace (communication satellites). He had secret clearance security status. He once described how satellites sometimes "fly too high" (away from Earth) and "Zzzck!" They short circuit because of the Van Allen belts. So I asked him "if today's satellite electronics are so fragile with the kind of shielding they have to protect them, but the Van Allen belts routinely fry them anyway, how did the Apollo lunar vehicles not get fried when NASA admitted that it didn't shield the vehicles? He was stumped.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
To the Moon, Alice.....250,000 from Earth.

What?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:55 am

It's from the Honeymooners. Google it.

The Moon is 250,000 miles from Earth.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:56 am

AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:
...How far away from Earth into outer space have they travled in manned spacecraft?

My uncle worked his whole life in aerospace (communication satellites). He had secret clearance security status. He once described how satellites sometimes "fly too high" (away from Earth) and "Zzzck!" They short circuit because of the Van Allen belts. So I asked him "if today's satellite electronics are so fragile with the kind of shielding they have to protect them, but the Van Allen belts routinely fry them anyway, how did the Apollo lunar vehicles not get fried when NASA admitted that it didn't shield the vehicles? He was stumped.

Ah ha. That would include going through the belts on reentry too in that little module.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:59 am

If there was a hoax, don't you think the USSR would have said something about it?

They got by the Van Allen belts because of the heat-resistant materials which served as a "shield" for the various parts of the Apollo vehicle.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's from the Honeymooners. Google it.

The Moon is 250,000 miles from Earth.

So the Russians flew out to the moon in a manned spacecraft? When was that?Because I'm only seeing stuff about them sending probes and maybe a manned moon mission in 2029.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:11 am

Not the Russians....the Yanks!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If there was a hoax, don't you think the USSR would have said something about it?

If it were a hoax Russia would be the last to be in on it.

kraftiekortie wrote:
They got by the Van Allen belts because of the heat-resistant materials which served as a "shield" for the various parts of the Apollo vehicle.

When? Where did they go?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If there was a hoax, don't you think the USSR would have said something about it...?

Not necessarily. More telling is that Neil Armstrong said extremely little about his work with the Apollo 11 mission. Why? He always seemed to be hiding something, and avoided questions from anyone. Some said he was simply stoic, but I doubt that would be the driving force behind 43 years of his silence.

This NASA film clip ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHG6uJH5L8 ) is also interesting in that it shows the Apollo 11 team faking images of a "distant Earth" using less than convincing methods. Again, why?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:28 am

Me: "How far away from Earth into outer space have they [the Russians] travled in manned spacecraft?"

You: "To the Moon, Alice.....250,000 from Earth."

Me: "So the Russians flew out to the moon in a manned spacecraft?"

You: "Not the Russians....the Yanks!"

Me: * facepalm*

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Old electronics are more resistant to radiation: to note satellites and probes are using old well-proved simple chips design that are using bigger old chip printing. The smaller circuits components are, the more vulnerable they are to radiation.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 7:42 am

This is my hairbrained theory, if it was a hoax. First off very few people were in on it. Most of those involved in the mission were duped like everyone else.

They go ahead and launch the Saturn V. With the astronauts aboard. Except instead of going all the way to the moon, it orbits the Earth. The Moon footage was filmed out in the desert with actors in concealing spacesuits and then broadcast from wherever. And a small crew of technicians operating from wherever were feeding telemetry readings and whatever other data to mission control. 98% of all the people involved all thought it was the real deal.