Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

Drake wrote:
Until Charlottesville, I hadn't seen this argument before. I saw it elsewhere first, and then a similar one here on Wrong Planet today. Basically, the assertion is that centrism is flawed because centrists position themselves purposely in the centre of the left / right political spectrum.

I think this idea is either a result of the paranoia those on the extremes of the political spectrum often harbor, or an attempt to bully centrists to pick a side.

Drake wrote:
I have always thought centrists are just there because their beliefs put them there, and if the centre moved, they wouldn't move with it.

While there may be some individuals who claim to be centrists merely because they are adverse to mainstream thought, most probably are there by virtue of the fact that their beliefs don't align with one side more than the other.

Drake wrote:
Anyway the argument goes that this incentivises extremists to to become more extreme, because this moves the centre, and the centrists will move with it, and thus move away from the side said extremists are opposing and towards them.

Does this type of Centrist actually exist? If you are one, I'd be interested to hear from you about why.

I don't think this is the case. The political spectrum is a spectrum, not three points that consist of left, center, and right. If a centrist were to move right or left, there are already people there. The person would just cease to be a centrist. If the right became more right, it's easy to envision the center of the spectrum shifting, placing the former centrist left of center. However a few things can be said about this. 1. The ideology of the person did not change. 2. The political spectrum is intangible and not properly represent by a spatial length, as people may envision it. If you were to mark the center of a spacial length and then lengthen one end, yes, the former center would then be left of center, but the same cannot be said of the political spectrum, because it's not actually spatial.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 12:22 pm

Maybe it's different in Europe, but I don't think centrism realistically exists today in US politics. If you disregard the irrelevant circus of so-called identity politics (which exists on both left and right), the truly important issues that remain are largely about economics and the role of government. The reality is that there are now two groups that largely want to push things in the opposite direction. The "center" has largely become synonymous with accepting the status-quo and doing nothing. I don't see a lot of people happy with the status-quo right now, thus not a lot of centrists exist. Why do you think Hillary lost?

I don't think just trying to appear to be reasonable by refusing to engage with the circus side-show that's now capturing the media attention makes one a centrist. You don't have to fall into believing everyone who disagrees with you is a nazi or communist to be on "a side". Neither is being on "a side" about some idea of imagined kinship with your ideological brethren. People who operate this way are an embarrassment.