Page 2 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 11:09 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Quote:
What you "expect" from God, or God to be, will not always correlate with what God actually is.

True, given that we cannot know what a supernatural God is.

I think we can expect, or reject if missing, a God with poor morals.

That is not the case with mainstream believers as they have accepted Yahweh and Allah as good Gods even though they are both slavery promoting Gods.

Quote:
It is only extreme hubris that would compel a person to say, "According to my line of reasoning and expectations, God should have done this and that, and be like this, and shouldn't be so wasteful, and should value efficiency, and be tolerant of gays, and be progressive, and value what I personally value. Since He (or She or It, if you prefer) doesn't meet my expectations and requirements, I will choose to ridicule and dismiss Him/Her/It".

Setting a moral standard is hardly hubris.

You have a moral standard that you apply to men and Gods. No?

Quote:
Have I summed up your attitude accurately?

I am afraid not.

Regards
DL

I was addressing this question to DarthMetaKnight, not you.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 5:40 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
I think it does if only at a small level.

If one does not read of Jesus in a literal way from scriptures, which is the only book that speaks of a literal Jesus, then Christianity would disappear along with the notion of a literal Jesus.

Christians must read the bible literally to at least reading of Jesus as a literal and historical figure.

Yes agreed, but I wouldn't describe that as literal though. I often say the most important bit of the Bible for Christians is the Gospel - and there are four different versions. To even try and read it literally can only lead to a kind of Christian insanity or atheism. For the non-insane Christian, all four Gospels are true, where it matters they be true.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Mikah wrote:
...all four Gospels are true, where it matters they be true.

Yes, one would naturally expect different witnesses to the same events to provide accounts that differ, due to their individual perspectives. One would not, however, expect those same witnesses to disagree on the most salient features, and that is precisely what one encounters in the Gospel accounts. Historical accounts are like this, there is no escaping that fact, and yet the literalists (both fundamentalist and atheist) stubbornly insist that every word must be taken as is, and that there is no room for allegorical, or other forms of, interpretation. That's just insane.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 9:30 am

Mikah wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
I think it does if only at a small level.

If one does not read of Jesus in a literal way from scriptures, which is the only book that speaks of a literal Jesus, then Christianity would disappear along with the notion of a literal Jesus.

Christians must read the bible literally to at least reading of Jesus as a literal and historical figure.

Yes agreed, but I wouldn't describe that as literal though. I often say the most important bit of the Bible for Christians is the Gospel - and there are four different versions. To even try and read it literally can only lead to a kind of Christian insanity or atheism. For the non-insane Christian, all four Gospels are true, where it matters they be true.

Christians should read up on why there are only 4 gospels and all the others were not included in the cannon.

I wonder what they would think of the excuse given that there are only 4 seasons and main point on the compass.

Christianity. Dumber and dumber.

Regards
DL

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Christians should read up on why there are only 4 gospels and all the others were not included in the cannon.

I wonder what they would think of the excuse given that there are only 4 seasons and main point on the compass.

Regards
DL

Many are at least dimly aware of the the committee origins of the Bible, it isn't the Earth-shattering revelation you imply. The truth of those historical events are obscured to us by time, as is the truth of God. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 2:54 pm

Mikah wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Many are at least dimly aware of the the committee origins of the Bible, it isn't the Earth-shattering revelation you imply. The truth of those historical events are obscured to us by time, as is the truth of God. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Not so. The WORD of God, to most Christians, is from God and not a committee.

That is why they have let a genocidal son murdering God guide their moral thinking.

They cannot see the light through their faith blinders and end in adoring the dark side.

Regards
DL

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

Theism is not intended to make sense.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

starkid wrote:

Correct, and it doesn't.

Yet look at how many claim to be believers. The majority.

That goes to show well how government programs to dumb down the population has worked.

Regards
DL

Nay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2017, 5:42 pm

God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Three persons, one God.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

I really do not know what point you are trying to make here. Are you trying to imply some sort of "pagan influence" within Christianity by comparing the number of Gospels to the number of seasons (or something)? It's a coincidence, nothing more.

Atheism. Dumber and dumber.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 8:10 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
starkid wrote:

Correct, and it doesn't.

That goes to show well how government programs to dumb down the population has worked.

Regards
DL

You speak out against "religion", and yet you call yourself the Gnostic Bishop. Theism does make sense, and you would realise this if only you wouldn't already be set in your ways regarding it, thus closing yourself off to the very possibility of even taking it seriously in the first place.

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense - atheism. I used to be one myself, back - waaaaaay back - when I was in primary school. I used to be a good little Dawkinoid, long before it became trendy on the then non-existent internet. I came to my senses when I was 12 because began to realise that it simply doesn't make any sense, especially when one coupled it with reductionistic materialism.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 8:11 pm

starkid wrote:

This statement doesn't make sense.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Not so. The WORD of God, to most Christians, is from God and not a committee.

Most Christians? How about NO Christians (apart from a few fundies). Christians clearly realise that the actual texts within the Bible were written by men, and that God doesn't have a printing press up in heaven. When asked, most Christians will say that the texts were written by people who were inspired to write what they did, not that God guided their hand like a schoolteacher showing a student how to write and that they received a smack on the back of the head if they got it wrong. You are once again taking the imagery too literally.

GnosticBishop wrote:
That is why they have let a genocidal son murdering God guide their moral thinking.

Do me a favour: stop calling yourself the "Gnostic Bishop". It's misleading. Change your name to something more appropriate, like "The Clueless Atheist".

GnosticBishop wrote:
They cannot see the light through their faith blinders and end in adoring the dark side.

Regards
DL

The "light" being... ? What? Atheism?! Don't make me laugh! The belief in the ultimate pointlessness of existence has been responsible for more death and misery than everything else in history put together, including natural disasters. The darkness is the dogma that "in the beginning there was nothing - which exploded". Atheism is irrational, anti-science delusion at its worst.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 8:36 pm

Nay wrote:
God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Three persons, one God.

A concept that I had always struggled with, but this person explains it fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G2S5ziDcO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gCv-FAjgps

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:15 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

I really do not know what point you are trying to make here. Are you trying to imply some sort of "pagan influence" within Christianity by comparing the number of Gospels to the number of seasons (or something)? It's a coincidence, nothing more.

Atheism. Dumber and dumber.

That is not what the compiler of the bible said.

Christians. Dumber and dumber.

But do not bother looking into the Christian history. It does not get any more intelligent.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:22 am

Lintar wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
starkid wrote:

Correct, and it doesn't.

Regards
DL

You speak out against "religion", and yet you call yourself the Gnostic Bishop. Theism does make sense, and you would realise this if only you wouldn't already be set in your ways regarding it, thus closing yourself off to the very possibility of even taking it seriously in the first place.

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense - atheism. I used to be one myself, back - waaaaaay back - when I was in primary school. I used to be a good little Dawkinoid, long before it became trendy on the then non-existent internet. I came to my senses when I was 12 because began to realise that it simply doesn't make any sense, especially when one coupled it with reductionistic materialism.

Theism might have some sense to it, but theists are senseless and have become idol worshipers and that makes no sense at all.

It makes all the sense in the world for one who is in a moral ideology to criticize those in an immoral ideologies like Christianity or Islam.

Don't you.

Regards
DL