Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 12:56 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

Then again, I also refuse to consider myself a feminist. Generally, I find Western feminism repugnant enough that I feel morally obligated to make knee-jerk adjustments of my own, 180 degrees from whatever they're saying now.

What do you find repugnant about it?

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 1:33 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

Then again, I also refuse to consider myself a feminist. Generally, I find Western feminism repugnant enough that I feel morally obligated to make knee-jerk adjustments of my own, 180 degrees from whatever they're saying now.

What do you find repugnant about it?

Well since this thread is about religion lets stick to that.

The feminist view on religions is that they are all good and about love, but not chrisitanity, its religion of hate and have no love message. And feminist movement claim islam is not homophobic and anti-women but that christianity is. a lot of people find that strange. do you agree with the mainstream feminist-view on religions?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 1:36 pm

You can't really say there's a definitive "feminist view" on anything. There are many types of feminism; for example, radical feminism and liberal/intersectional feminism. And even within these groups, there are plenty of dissenting opinions. Therefore, not all feminists feel the same way about religion. Some may be against all religions, some may be accepting of all religions, and some may be somewhere in between.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 1:58 pm

TheAP wrote:
You can't really say there's a definitive "feminist view" on anything. There are many types of feminism; for example, radical feminism and liberal/intersectional feminism. And even within these groups, there are plenty of dissenting opinions. Therefore, not all feminists feel the same way about religion. Some may be against all religions, some may be accepting of all religions, and some may be somewhere in between.

I mean the leftists-feminism. There is mainstream-opinions in all type of groups, and witihin the biggest feminist movement (the left one) you will find out very quick that they consider islam to be a feminist religion that also respect gay people but that christianity is the religion of hate. the funny thing is that the same people claims that islam-bashers are idiots for thinking that islam is a religion of hate :D they are full of double moral just like far-right wingers are.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:53 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

Well since this thread is about religion lets stick to that.

The feminist view on religions is that they are all good and about love, but not chrisitanity, its religion of hate and have no love message. And feminist movement claim islam is not homophobic and anti-women but that christianity is. a lot of people find that strange. do you agree with the mainstream feminist-view on religions?

I dislike all religion. I used to be a Christian and then a Buddhist, but I dislike aspects of those religions now. I dislike Islam very much, although the Ahmadiyya aren't quite as bad. I've seen the harm that patriarchal religions (particularly Islam) does to women and gay people (and well, everybody else) close up - and it's actually what made me a feminist.

I find religion interesting to study in order to learn something about human nature, but that's about it.

I don't think my views on religion are mainstream in feminism or on the left in general. I criticise minority religions (as well as Christianity) too much for that.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
TheAP wrote:

I mean the leftists-feminism. There is mainstream-opinions in all type of groups, and witihin the biggest feminist movement (the left one) you will find out very quick that they consider islam to be a feminist religion that also respect gay people but that christianity is the religion of hate. the funny thing is that the same people claims that islam-bashers are idiots for thinking that islam is a religion of hate :D they are full of double moral just like far-right wingers are.

But the feminist agenda isn't focused on religion? It's about gender equality.
I am an artist and I like painting mushrooms. This does not mean that all artists like painting mushrooms.

Besides, I have never heard anyone saying that either islam or christianity are feminist religions. Well, except for a few muslims and christians...

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

okay i get it all women are feminazis and we want to kill all the men and rule the world cuz we all evil and horrible b!tches you happy now??????????! !???????????

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 4:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
okay i get it all women are feminazis and we want to kill all the men and rule the world cuz we all evil and horrible b!tches you happy now??????????! !???????????

I never said anything like that. I am just curious why feminists all over the world think that islam, hinduism and buddhissm etc are loving religions that respect gay people and women while christianity is the only "bad" religion.

RikMayall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 4:31 pm

All feminists are against oppression of females.

If someone claims to be a feminist and supports a dress code solely for women incase a man sees them and rapes them then they are not a feminist, they are an idiot.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 4:33 pm

Embla wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
TheAP wrote:

I am an artist and I like painting mushrooms. This does not mean that all artists like painting mushrooms.

Besides, I have never heard anyone saying that either islam or christianity are feminist religions. Well, except for a few muslims and christians...

I know. But feminists do talk about how women have it in religions, they always talk out about opression in islam, hinduism, christianity etc, but there is a difference in their critic that shocks me and that is when they give critic to islam, hinduism etc they talk about small groups of extremists, culture, economic reasons etc, its never islam, hinduism etc that is a problem or their followers...but critic of christianity is always an attack on that entire religion and on all of its followers.

All left-feminists i have talk to have said that islam is feminism. just use google and you will get many hits.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

Friendly neighborhood feminist here. I wasn't aware Christian women wore hijabs, but if they choose to...:shrug:

I don't care whose head goes covered, as long as it is their choice and not something they are forced/co-erced into. Same thing for house wifery. Same thing for eating orange jello.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 5:13 pm

The hajib is not the same thing as a burka. Below is a hajib. Modest, but its not like a welder's mask like a burka. In fact some young ladies can look quite seductive in hajibs.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Oct 2017, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Would this be a Western Hijab?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

^ Most folks who wear bandit masks are men. So obviously not.

Hajibs and burkas actually predate Islam, and the way Western nuns dress is not only "the equivalent" its the same garmet (just a version of the same thing that already existed in the pagan/early Christian ancient Middle East prior to Islam).

RikMayall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

It doesn't matter what the dress it.

You are becoming myopically focused on the wrong detail.

Is it enforced?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2017, 6:52 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
Embla wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
TheAP wrote:

I know. But feminists do talk about how women have it in religions, they always talk out about opression in islam, hinduism, christianity etc, but there is a difference in their critic that shocks me and that is when they give critic to islam, hinduism etc they talk about small groups of extremists, culture, economic reasons etc, its never islam, hinduism etc that is a problem or their followers...but critic of christianity is always an attack on that entire religion and on all of its followers.

All left-feminists i have talk to have said that islam is feminism. just use google and you will get many hits.

I wouldn't take it as far as ALL left-feminists. But you are right that some people romanticise islam. Just like with any other political conviction, some people take it all too far. It would be a good thing if people could understand that muslims are just regular people, but viewing them as anything more than that is too extreme, as is viewing them as less. Although viewing them as less causes a lot more damage.
For some reason, when someone comes with a radical opinion, the opposite side will comeback with an equally radical, polarizing opinion, and they just build on each other until you have extremists on all sides. That's why some people think that ALL muslims are bad, and some thinks that ALL muslims are good.
Those people shouldn't be paid any attention. There are some really good people, and some really bad people, and the vast majority of the world's population are somewhere in between. Where you stand on that scale has nothing to do with political or religious convictions.