Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 9:35 am

I am curious as to why some Western youth idolize Che Guevara. Do they really agree with his ideology? Is it more about the rebellious aspect of him? A little of both?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 9:47 am

I could be wrong in saying this but this is the impression I get.

Che Guevera is liked by some people I know but not idolized. A reason for that is a generational thing. Che Guevera as a meme that has been around for decades has been relentlessly commodified and as a result, is not something people my age tend to latch on to. However, someone a lot of my communist friends do legitimately idolize more and more is Thomas Sankara, the guy who ran Burkina Faso, vaccinated 2 million people against meningitis and measles, banned Female genital mutilation, and implemented something close to what many communists consider to be a true Marxist-Leninist state.

And yes many young people really do agree with Che's ideology and it's not over a simple desire for rebellion. There is often a lot of pessimism for us young people, many of us work sh***y fast-food jobs or have been laid off, and things aren't too great. And from that, a lot of people just want to blow up capitalism or something like that.

This is me speaking as someone who is not a communist by the way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 10:06 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am curious as to why some Western youth idolize Che Guevara. Do they really agree with his ideology? Is it more about the rebellious aspect of him? A little of both?
Likely because idolizing images of John Lennon is not as "edgy" or provocative to us older people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.