On Negative News Events (And How Things Aren't As Bad As...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Dec 2017, 1:20 pm

...They Seem.)

E2LA here. I think this should be worth talking about. All too often, the news media (particularly in the US) tends to focus too much on the negative stuff (terrorism, natural disasters, crime, et al.). Which gives people 'tunnel vision' about all that stuff.

But, the reality of things is- not all is bad in the world. And, I present to you for your reading, four articles about how there is actually good in the wordl, despite what you may hear in the media:

1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 4c33c15630

2. https://www.theguardian.com/world-visio ... -the-stats

3. https://www.edge.org/response-detail/26669

4. http://www.cracked.com/article_24507_5- ... -ever.html

In the articles, two of them state the number of people living in poverty in the world has actually decreased since the 1980s, the crime rate in the US is at one of its lowest levels in 50 years.

Additionally, the world has seen much worse than what we've seen in the past few years. When you look back at the past 200-odd years, there have been plenty of periods where much worse has occurred, compared to recently.

So, to summarize, there is GOOD in the world, in spite of you hear. It's just that too much is focused on the negative stuff, which I refuse to dwell on, mostly because it isn't good for your health, and that it just breeds cynicism, which I dislike.

I hope you all have something to say about this, but please be civilized and respectful in the comments.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 1:44 pm

.... yes. There has been tremenduous progress in the last 50 years. And we'd really like to keep this going. That's why these articles are a bit .... pointless. They describe the results of decisions that were made decades ago, while today, just as we see these measurements take effect, we also see these measurements repealed, removed and replaced with nothing. It's a bit hard to understand.

The problem is not that things would have gotten worse since, say, the great depression. But the short- to medium term outlook has become very, very grim.

so let's just all invest in bitcoin and hope for the best? - the bitcoin network has the energy consumption/carbon footprint of a third world continent, and is getting bigger, fast....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:13 pm

NBC Nightly News has a segment at the end of every broadcast "Inspiring America" for feel good stories. but as they say "If it bleeds, it leeds"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:16 pm

Depends.

In my country information is supressed, so it's actually way worse than what the news say.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 1:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NBC Nightly News has a segment at the end of every broadcast "Inspiring America" for feel good stories. but as they say "If it bleeds, it leeds"

That last part: Sad, but true.

One good positive news site is UpWorthy.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 5:33 pm

I wonder what other people have to say about what I posted just now?

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

equestriatola wrote:
I wonder what other people have to say about what I posted just now?

I would like it if people posted and talked about good news here.

Have one from me, a potential breakthrough in treating Huntington's Disease.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/healt ... 03596.html