Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

CNN Labels ‘Thomas the Tank Engine,’ ‘Paw Patrol’ as ‘Fascist’ Cartoons

A CNN article published Friday complained that parents are buying their kids "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Paw Patrol" toys, despite the shows supposedly having "fascist" undertones.

"Why kids love ‘fascist' cartoons like ‘Paw Patrol' and ‘Thomas,'" wrote parenting writer Elissa Strauss, a regular contributor to CNN.

Strauss noted that "Thomas the Tank Engine" has been labeled "a ‘premodern corporate-totalitarian dystopia‘ in the New Yorker, imperialist and sinister in Slate, and classist, sexist, and anti-environmentalist in the Guardian."

http://freebeacon.com/politics/cnn-labe ... -cartoons/

:lol:

There Are Four Lights!

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

This getting out of hand...

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm

well. calling it fascist is a bit much.
it is, however, insanely stupid and it does depict a rather .... first-half-of-the-20th-century world.

I'd like to add: I worked in children's tv for about half a year. There's certainly not the best and brightest working on these shows. And when an employee points out that certain things about a show are particularly stupid, or don't work like that in reality and it would be easy to change a few things and stuff would make sense, it would be easier to do and cost the same... well. if it's for children, no one gives a crap. so, yeah. quite possible that thomas the tank engine is done mostly by people who don't care what they feed your children....

I quit that job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

the real "face of fascism" is what was installed last November.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:43 am

Liberalism seems to look for any excuse to call anything fascist/fascism.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm

To be fair, Thomas is pretty messed-up. The engines are living, but they still have to spend their entire lives on train tracks. Additionally, the authorities on the Island of Sodor are fond of cruel and unusual punishment.

That being said, these shows are geared towards little kids who don't think too deeply about what they watch.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

ThisYear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2017, 8:39 pm

Phrygian wrote:
This getting out of hand...

I agree. I'd like a pink ladybug next year, then they can call it animal federalism.

Last edited by ThisYear on 25 Dec 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:41 pm

shlaifu wrote:
well. calling it fascist is a bit much.
it is, however, insanely stupid and it does depict a rather .... first-half-of-the-20th-century world.

I'd like to add: I worked in children's tv for about half a year. There's certainly not the best and brightest working on these shows. And when an employee points out that certain things about a show are particularly stupid, or don't work like that in reality and it would be easy to change a few things and stuff would make sense, it would be easier to do and cost the same... well. if it's for children, no one gives a crap. so, yeah. quite possible that thomas the tank engine is done mostly by people who don't care what they feed your children....

I quit that job.

Children's shows should not be judged through the lens of a hyper critical adult mind . So what if they lack 'realism' . Most children thrive through the use of imagination. Time enough to embrace 'realism'.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:53 pm

I saw this only a few days ago on Critikal's YouTube channel, where he basically said how stupid it was and tore it apart. And I agree. It's almost as bad as that religious nut-job guy who wrote a book years ago about how most of the cartoons that were popular in the late 80's-early 90's, like Ninja Turtles and Smurfs and even Care Bears - were all completely evil and would make your kids practice witchcraft and worship Satan. Even the Care Bears with their message that we should all care and help each other. Some would say *especially* the Care Bears, but hopefully they're not being serious. :twisted:

The funny thing is he claimed to have watched them all himself, but your kids are the ones who will be corrupted and burn in hellfire. :roll:

ThisYear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2017, 8:59 pm

Darmok wrote:

The face of mock oppression

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I saw this only a few days ago on Critikal's YouTube channel, where he basically said how stupid it was and tore it apart. And I agree. It's almost as bad as that religious nut-job guy who wrote a book years ago about how most of the cartoons that were popular in the late 80's-early 90's, like Ninja Turtles and Smurfs and even Care Bears - were all completely evil and would make your kids practice witchcraft and worship Satan. Even the Care Bears with their message that we should all care and help each other. Some would say *especially* the Care Bears, but hopefully they're not being serious. :twisted:

It's true, Ninja Turtles and and Smurfs were just gateway entertainment that led me to black metal and horrorcore hip-hop music. :twisted:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 2:01 am

how could those cute adorable little trains be anything but innocuous?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 2:28 am

god, adults overanalyzing and politicizing innocuous childrens shows has to be the most cancerous s**t ever.

list of people who asked for this:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Dec 2017, 11:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It's true, Ninja Turtles and and Smurfs were just gateway entertainment that led me to black metal and horrorcore hip-hop music. :twisted:

Margaret Thatcher insisted that the Ninja Turtles were renamed the Hero Turtles, because she thought Ninjas glorified violence.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 11:36 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Margaret Thatcher insisted that the Ninja Turtles were renamed the Hero Turtles, because she thought Ninjas glorified violence.

A neocon speaking out against fictional violence?
How ironic.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 2:56 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

I've never gotten how the one thing 'moderate liberals' and 'neoconservatives' in the 80s could agree on was how badly censorship was needed for any entertainment that might be more provocative than watching paint drying. The Helen Lovejoys of the world apparently are totalitarian establishment centrists.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

A neocon speaking out against fictional violence?
How ironic.

Fictional violence, bad. Real violence bad, unless it's being committed by state-actors or non-state actors supported by the state, then it's glorious and needs our support. :wink: