Page 3 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have known women who are excellent at teamwork.

I am a man----and I rather suck at it.

I was speaking in general.

I've known individual women who were good at teamwork. Overall, based on my experience, teams of men tend to cooperate better and get more accomplished. Women just tend to screech and fight. During the six-and-a-half weeks of bootcamp, I endured countless hours of screaming and "catfighting." We got dropped on our faces many times because certain girls wouldn't stop arguing.

Men can disagree, but still get the job done. Women can't.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

XenoMind wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Not sure anyone on the planet would argue against men & women in general being better and worse at different things. That has nothing at all to do with gender equality though.

Pretty much every single feminist and SJW.

I don't know what sjw is but I know some feminists and they don't.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 12:51 pm

XenoMind wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
No it isn't.

Wishful thinking. There are lots and lots of people doing literally that.

Maybe it's just us mixing in different circles but I just don't see it.

There is of course the extreme version of everything online if people want to create their own echo chamber but that's not real life.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 2:48 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

You must be blind, then. "Damore's memorandum" was just one most recent example.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 2:50 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
There is of course the extreme version of everything online if people want to create their own echo chamber but that's not real life.

When people are mobbed and get theirs lives destroyed - this is very real life.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

Gender equality isn’t an easy subject to approach, as many feel strongly about it one way or the other, and may end up getting defensive and resorting to petty insults.

Sadly, there’s no simple answer that can help us achieve equality. Many prejudices run deep within our society, and just become one of the many parts that make up the World. That’s just how it is.

Whenever a group pushes for acceptance and equal treatment, you can guarantee that an opposing group will push in the other direction with the same amount of force to try and counter the group striving for change.

“Every action has an equal and opposite reaction”- Newton’s third law. Granted, I realise that Newton was talking about the physical force of physics in action, but I think that the saying could also equally apply to social movements within society.

For every LGBT rights group there is a West Baptist Church protesting, Black rights are rivalled by groups such as the KKK, and Women’s rights are protested by other various groups. How big the push for acceptance is gives us a good indication of what the size of the backlash will be.

So, what can be done? Well, that’s a tough question. There will always be people out there who will fight against progress.

One strategy for persuading people to accept a group, is called “giving it a face”. Simple put, “giving it a face” is when you take your argument out of abstract terms, and show the people that are affected by the decision being made.

There is a TEDx women talk called “50 shades of gay” which does this, it asks the audience to look into the eyes of people in photos and tell them that they personally should not have the right to marry.

https://www.ted.com/talks/io_tillett_wr ... ay#t-83543

People only tend to care about a subject when it affects them, or someone they know. The closer to home it is, the harder it affects them. Let’s say, for example, we have a man who doesn’t particularly care about how some women are treated in the gaming industry, but then he marries a woman who makes video games, and she tells him about how she is treated badly by her male co-workers and has to deal with sexist comments.

That man is more likely to care about that subject, now that someone he knows is being affected by it. “Putting a face” to an issue does this, we start to see the topic as not just a concept, but also how it can apply in the real World.

Unfortunately, there are extremists in every group imaginable. Ironically many of these extremists end up doing the opposite of what they set out to do, some radical feminist groups (feminism being the belief that men and women should receive equal treatment) actually end up falling into misandry territory (the belief that women are superior to men).

ISIS claim that they want to go back to how it was in the times of the Qur’an, but they do this by using fairly high-tech gear and modern items, the very things they protest against…

Extremists in any group often fail to make logical sense, they claim to want one thing but pursue another. This is because personal experience leading to a biased point of view often trumps the initial goal, ideals, and logic someone was aiming towards.

For instance, say a fairly moderate woman joins a group promoting feminism. She starts off trying to achieve equality, campaigning for equal rights for everyone.

Then one day she meets a man from a misogynist group who starts targeting her, sending the woman hateful messages, and encouraging others to do the same.

At first, she is able to deal with it, blocks the accounts, tries to report it to the authorities, and believes that the situation is only a minor thing that she can handle.

But then it gets worse, threats get more violent, and now men are harassing her verbally and physically on the street.

She can’t sleep at night, because whenever she tries to close her eyes she sees that man smiling at with ill intent, and the events of men attacking her repeat on a loop in her mind as hopeless tears fall down her cheeks, as she stares into the darkness in shock.

A voice in her head asks “This is what I get for wanting equality? Men harassing me wherever I go?”. She feels on edge wherever she travels, even when she’s out grocery shopping she worries that one of the men will attack her and “What if I’m not prepared?” she wonders.

She goes to the police, but they don’t believe her and ask why she didn’t say anything sooner. The woman tries to explain that she did, but the Police don’t want to know even when she asks them to check security footage which would prove that her attackers hurt her.

“Listen darlin’, if we listened to every chick’s complaint about harassment, we’d be here all day!” an officer complains, shaking his head “I can’t even freaking compliment a woman without her claiming harassment these days!” he added.

Furious, she takes to the internet and complains about the poor treatment she has so far experienced, and finds a radical group of misandrists.

At this point, the woman is so clouded by anger that she doesn’t fully consider what it is she’s doing when she begins to write hateful messages that stereotype men and insult them.

She just wants the World to pay for her pain so much, that she doesn’t stop to consider why that man from the misogynist group targeted her in the first place.

“Uh, duh, it’s because I’m a woman, and men can’t treat women right!” she would retort if someone were to ask her why that man treated her the way he did.

But actually, that man didn’t start off hating women from birth. He didn’t emerge from the womb and think “I hate women, so glad that I’m not physically a part of one anymore”. :lol:

Rather, he was online one day campaigning for the rights of men, when a group of women targeted him, saying that as a man he didn’t have the right to complain because he was “too privileged to understand”.

His mistreatment from women grew into a hatred, and that very hatred led to him harassing a woman which led to a woman becoming a misandrist, much like the women that originally targeted that man.

It’s a circle. Misandry leads to misogyny, and misogyny leads to misandry. An equal yet opposite reaction. Two sides of the same coin.

Not that I’m saying women are to blame for misogyny, or that men are to blame for misandry.

Rather, life has a tendency to be indirectly circular. Nobody sets out to be a villain, even the evillest people in history believed that they were doing the right thing.

That’s what makes it a difficult a subject, because everyone believes that they are correct, and once anecdotal bias skews someone’s perception, they are likely to seek out more information that just confirms their view of the World (cognitive bias) something of which everyone is probably guilty of to a degree, it’s human nature.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:32 pm

XenoMind wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

You must be blind, then. "Damore's memorandum" was just one most recent example.

You do realise that "some feminists think X" isn't the same as "every single feminist thinks X", right?

I think it's funny how people say feminism is against individuality when James Damore seemed to be against individuality. Let's suppose he was right in his assertion that, on average women aren't as suited to tech jobs as men. Does that mean individual women can't be outliers?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Pepe wrote:

And yet there are seemingly strengths and weaknesses in both genders...

Would it be politically incorrect to suggest women tend to have a greater emotional intelligence than men?
I suspect a women is much better at bearing children than a man...

Not sure anyone on the planet would argue against men & women in general being better and worse at different things. That has nothing at all to do with gender equality though.

We are simply defining what the parameters are...
What does gender equality mean to you?

Wolfram87 wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Plenty of people do. And it depends on whether your idea of equality is equality of opportunity, or equality of outcome.

Is that a JP-ism? :wink:
That was a good podcast, btw...

Aniihya wrote:
People need to just accept equal responsibility and duty and treat everyone with the same dignity and respect.

Initially, you mean...
Have a default setting of respecting others...
And then adjusting that level on a merit earned basis...
Agreed...

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:40 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Not that I’m saying women are to blame for misogyny, or that men are to blame for misandry.

Rather, life has a tendency to be indirectly circular. Nobody sets out to be a villain, even the evillest people in history believed that they were doing the right thing.

Yep. It seems like an unending cycle of revenge. There's too much bitterness on both sides.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:53 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

I've known individual women who were good at teamwork. Overall, based on my experience, teams of men tend to cooperate better and get more accomplished. Women just tend to screech and fight. During the six-and-a-half weeks of bootcamp, I endured countless hours of screaming and "catfighting." We got dropped on our faces many times because certain girls wouldn't stop arguing.

Sorry to go off topic but... :mrgreen:
Excercise boot camp, or army boot camp?

Could you give some insight into what would cause that sort of disunity amongst woman?
Women generally are "supposed to" be better at verbal articulation and "supposed to" have a greater emotional intelligence than most men...
Men have a reputation for being less emotionally aware and more aggressive as a result...
It seems a little contradictory that men would "play better" than women, not that I am arguing the point...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve known many quite superior women.

Most of the judges and lawyers where I work are women who wouldn’t take too kindly any sort of “patriarchal bias.”

They still have to face them...as do men. It's not really the fault of men, it's just an aspect of our species. When talking about patriarchy I think people have a tendency to focus on male behavior, and neglect to consider female behavior. Compared to bonobos, who are matriarchal, human females tend to be more submissive to males and, like female gorillas, less cooperative among each other. Female bonobos form alliances like male humans and chimpanzees and will gang up on male bonobos to assert their dominant status and this is a trait of their species. In one incident, a male bonobo decided to randomly back hand an older female bonobo (because primates are kind of jerks). A female chimpanzee would have assumed a submissive position and started screeching but the female bonobo gave the male bonobo the most insulted look and then he was seized upon and attacked by other female bonobos who were nearby.

Human females do occasionally band together to assert themselves or maybe even assert dominance over a male but this more of an exception than a rule. The question is, what was the society of the common ancestor of humans, chimps and bonobos like? I am going to guess they were patriarchal, since both humans and chimps are. It raises the question then, how did bonobos become so matriarchal?

This is a true, the "prehistoric matriarchy theory" thing in feminist literature is not true at all, all biological (such as the size difference between men and women) and historical evidences, and observations on primitive tribes, show that humans always had a patriarchal bias - humans were always a patriarchal species.

We were always closer to chimps than to bonobos, socially speaking.

Quote:
I've often wondered, what would happen if you put of group of male chimpanzees with a group of female bonobos. Probably a lot of blood shed but ultimately I think the male chimpanzees would win.

Bonobos evolved from a common ancestor with the chimps, this common ancestor species was patriarchal like the modern chimps; in theory what made them bonobos was a lengthened drought that hit their area killing all gorillas there, the death of gorillas + the drought led them to rely less on male strength and more on cooperation, hence they became a matriarchy.

A such event wasn't possible for humans, because humans always had enemies, especially among each other, hence why humans were always a warring species.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Sorry to go off topic but... :mrgreen:
Excercise boot camp, or army boot camp?

Could you give some insight into what would cause that sort of disunity amongst woman?
Women generally are "supposed to" be better at verbal articulation and "supposed to" have a greater emotional intelligence than most men...
Men have a reputation for being less emotionally aware and more aggressive as a result...
It seems a little contradictory that men would "play better" than women, not that I am arguing the point...

Air Force bootcamp.

Men tend to fixate on practicality, what needs to be done. In contrast, women get caught up dealing with emotions.

It's one of the reasons humans are a patriarchal species: men band together to get things done.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
You do realise that "some feminists think X" isn't the same as "every single feminist thinks X", right?

You do realize that "I see lots and lots feminists who loudly and very annoyingly and very often say that they think X and zero feminists who say a words against X" means that basically every single feminist really thinks X?

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I think it's funny how people say feminism is against individuality when James Damore seemed to be against individuality. Let's suppose he was right in his assertion that, on average women aren't as suited to tech jobs as men. Does that mean individual women can't be outliers?

You didn't read that memo, too. So far every single SJW I talked with about that memo didn't really read it. Funny, isn't it?

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Nobody sets out to be a villain, even the evillest people in history believed that they were doing the right thing.

Yeah. Even Pol Pot believed that he was making his country a new paradise, by brutally murdering some 30% of the citizens of his country.
And you know what? People too easily believe the things that suit their egos and makes them feel better. That's why I don't give a s**t for any beliefs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm

I don't meet these "SJW's", or these "radical feminists," or these "misandrists," or these "misogynists" in real life.

I just have the misfortune of "meeting" them on the Internet.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 11:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve known many quite superior women.

Most of the judges and lawyers where I work are women who wouldn’t take too kindly any sort of “patriarchal bias.”

They still have to face them...as do men. It's not really the fault of men, it's just an aspect of our species. When talking about patriarchy I think people have a tendency to focus on male behavior, and neglect to consider female behavior. Compared to bonobos, who are matriarchal, human females tend to be more submissive to males and, like female gorillas, less cooperative among each other. Female bonobos form alliances like male humans and chimpanzees and will gang up on male bonobos to assert their dominant status and this is a trait of their species. In one incident, a male bonobo decided to randomly back hand an older female bonobo (because primates are kind of jerks). A female chimpanzee would have assumed a submissive position and started screeching but the female bonobo gave the male bonobo the most insulted look and then he was seized upon and attacked by other female bonobos who were nearby.

Human females do occasionally band together to assert themselves or maybe even assert dominance over a male but this more of an exception than a rule. The question is, what was the society of the common ancestor of humans, chimps and bonobos like? I am going to guess they were patriarchal, since both humans and chimps are. It raises the question then, how did bonobos become so matriarchal?

This is a true, the "prehistoric matriarchy theory" thing in feminist literature is not true at all, all biological (such as the size difference between men and women) and historical evidences, and observations on primitive tribes, show that humans always had a patriarchal bias - humans were always a patriarchal species.

We were always closer to chimps than to bonobos, socially speaking.

I agree. I don't even know where the idea of matriarchal societies as the original human society came from. Wishful thinking perhaps. Though at least two humans societies have legends about their society originally being matriarchal, where the women were in charge. The Yanomami society of the Amazon and the Korowai society of Papua/New Guinea. The Yanomami, who are very patriarchal and have a history of violence towards women, claim that the women used to lead their society and had a lodge, and then the men rebelled and made their own lodge and took control. This could be the case in a society where all the men had been killed for some reason...possibly in war, and it was the women with their children who were left. The Korowai practiced cannibalism and claim this originated with women. I think completely matriarchal societies were probably the exception much like polyandry is. When women have power in these tribal societies it seems to tend to be of a spiritual nature which stems from the "mystery" of the fact that she bleeds and can give birth to another human, and also concepts of impurity some cultures prescribe to these things. A Roma woman (gypsie) is once said to have broken up an attack one one of her family member's by a rival group of men by ripping off part of her skirt and swinging it around, thus spiritually contaminating everything in the encampment, including the men. They all stopped fighting and instantly ran off to clean themselves, and the next day, all of the exposed food and water was dumped out and the camp sight was abandoned.