Melissa Click charged with assault will do community service

Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:11 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/miz ... st-n507111

I understand that this is a misdemeanor, so she won't have a permanent record, but I'm not an expert on US law.

Melissa Click represents everything that is wrong with the recent university protest movement, and also a particular brand of feminism, which isn't always overtly or exclusively "radical" but has ideas that aren't comparable with basic freedoms.

This is something that feminists and people in general should be outraged about too. Especially as we can't claim these people and ideas are just fringe with no influence.

Some may be play this down, however I'm not buying it. These are people in authority, with influence.

It wasn't just her, I was all those other protesters on the footage that were obstructing journalists from doing their work, being smug and righteous about it.

Also it was clear that the wider Missu protests were influenced but fallacious ideas coming from certain feminist schools of thought, namely policies of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings". These are idea not backed by clinical evidence for PTSD, and they are widely being abused on university campuses beyond this.

It is so ironic that a race protest introduces ideas tantamount to segregation. Did they not not learn about segregation, such as about Nora Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. that fought hard against it?

University protesters used to have principles. They used to understand the basic tenants of a free society, like freedom of speech and freedom of movement, and actually wanted to protect those rights.

I'm more disappointed at the students than these quack academics, it shows a real lack of critical thinking. They need to learn that you can't solve lives issues by wrapping people up in cotton wool and restricting freedoms. Maybe critical thinking is lacking in secondary education, perhaps because education is a political football and there is pressure just to get them to pass and meet targets.

This case is an example, however it is an important one. Why is she is still employed they and being considered for tenure? Not simply for the assault, but for showing she doesn't understand the basics of public access in a public place. How can someone like that seriously be teach anything?

Her "Lady Gaga" studies whilst amusing, is actually more serious than it seems. You could pass the is off as intellectual masturbation (although calling it intellectual is being generous), however there is a concerted effort by certain group to inject an ideology into a broad range of subjects be it Journalism, Psychology, Arts, History the list goes on. The mere idea of doing this is not the problem, if wasn't for the ideology containing enforces stipulations, which make it difficult to question or test. This goes against the whole spirit of tertiary education. The point of making issues too “sensitive” is a subtle but effective form of protection against the ideas being criticised.

However in the case of Click, she shows her true colours when she can't control things in her favour. She is not in the lecture room where she can set the rules. However that is just what they were protesting for, to be able to control a public place, and they believed they already had that right as her actions demonstrate.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:18 pm

If I remember the reports correctly, the "journalist" she tried to push and bully out of the way, calling for "muscle" to help her, was in fact a student writer for the campus newspaper. In that case, her actions as a professor are doubly inappropriate and (I would say) be cause for either termination or suspension.

There Are Four Lights!

Last edited by Darmok on 01 Feb 2016, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:23 pm

Darmok wrote:
If I remember the reports correctly, the "journalist" she tried to push and bully out of the way, calling for "muscle" to help her, was in fact a student writer for the campus newspaper. In that case, her actions as a professor are doubly inappropriate and (I would say) cause for either termination or suspension.

Yes you are correct.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm

There were actually a number of journalists caught up in the wider events. I think two but maybe more.

Maybe three including the camera person.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm

You lost this one bruh!

What was even going on in that circle that was so secret anyway that needed to be protected from journalists.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 6:52 pm

The joke is many of these protester still she her as martyr.

It shows they just don't get.

They don't get that the phrase civil rights has the word "rights" in it. It is not civil control.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 6:54 pm

It would be good if a civil rights veteran could school them. You know, someone with principles.

Of course there were bad groups from that era too.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Feb 2016, 7:17 pm

These protesters are a joke and should be ignored, a bunch of overprivileged children throwing a hissy fit for attention. Tell them to sit down and shut up, hunger strikes be damned. Let them starve themselves to death.

The fact this women is still allowed to teach is a joke, if I were a student at University of Missouri I'd be tempted to take one of her classes to ruin her "safe space" but I'm pretty sure she's some sort of joke teacher anyways that teaches like a "contemporary culture" class where they learn about Lady Gaga and twerking. Only in academia do braindead freaks make a good living and are somehow "respected" by their peers, just a straight up joke. Maybe finding where she's doing her community service would be better than taking her class, hopefully it's a humbling experience.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:38 pm

I agree.

Considering these group advocate targeting people's jobs, simply for differences of opinion/ideology or in some case where they make false claims about their target becuase they were criticised, and try to get them fired, it would be poetic justice to say the least.

Usually I'm against this targeting of people's jobs. However in this case I'm for it, not for the misdemeanor but because I don't thing she i suitable for an academic post so there is somebody else who could be a better candidate.

She has her assistantship and is tryung to gain tenure. I think this should opposed, as this will mean she will have more permanent platform to carry on

Nobody is beyond redemption I suppose. Maybe if she demonstrated some understanding of why what they were doing was wrong, and by that I the approach of the protest she was drumming up and enforcing. Not just, they way she put it and the words used.

I mean if this hadn't have got the attention it did would she question her actions? That is what I'd want to know.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mizzou-prof-melissa-click-agrees-community-service-siccing-muscle-journalist-n507111

It wasn't just her, I was all those other protesters on the footage that were obstructing journalists from doing their work, being smug and righteous about it.

Students have to risk being wrong or looking stupid occasionally if they're going to get the most out of an education. To record students without their consent as they express themselves on campus is potentially condemning them to lifelong ridicule. It makes everyone more reluctant to say or do anything that someone might interpret as wrong or foolish, for fear of being mocked for it later in life. What does that do to education? So, I can see why a reasonable person might get indignant about the press in circumstances like this.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

This was like the Barbara Streisand effect where the pointless defensiveness caused 10x the attention.

Just because of some fear you can't limit the press

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

Is this the same woman who had an honorary degree in Twilight-studies, or was that a separate woman?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 10:42 am

Click is representative of not just feminism, but of what Sam Harris is calling 'the regressive left.' In the past, irrationality has swung between right and left cyclically; what makes me fearful now is that the left seems to be growing irrational without a concomitant swing back into sanity by the right.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 11:36 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Is this the same woman who had an honorary degree in Twilight-studies, or was that a separate woman?

That's her. And a double-major in Lady Gaga studies, with a minor in Martha Stewart:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Melissa_Click

There Are Four Lights!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

LKL wrote:
Click is representative of not just feminism, but of what Sam Harris is calling 'the regressive left.' In the past, irrationality has swung between right and left cyclically; what makes me fearful now is that the left seems to be growing irrational without a concomitant swing back into sanity by the right.

This is why I like those cross party groups, becuase irrationality is not exclusive to one side.

I don't have a party affiliation, I don't see myself as left or right.

I'm socially liberatarian, have some classical liberal views, but economically Competitionist.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 02 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
Students have to risk being wrong or looking stupid occasionally if they're going to get the most out of an education. To record students without their consent as they express themselves on campus is potentially condemning them to lifelong ridicule. It makes everyone more reluctant to say or do anything that someone might interpret as wrong or foolish, for fear of being mocked for it later in life. What does that do to education? So, I can see why a reasonable person might get indignant about the press in circumstances like this.

Sorry I don't get your point. This was a protest in a public place. They don't need the students consent to cover it.

Besides this was the university journalists doing their job, whilst someone in their own faculty assaults them.