What do you think about minorum drinking age 18 VS 21 :-)

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 1:01 pm

yelekam wrote:
The alcohol industry should be abolished an universal teetotalism established. Until society progresses to that point, the more restriction the better.

Good luck with that. Prohibition was a failure and would only fail again. ;)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

There shouldn't even be a minimum drinking age. Why? When I was in primary school I often had alcohol, and I didn't turn into an alcoholic. Just the opposite, in fact. I think starting at an early age taught me how to handle the stuff, and as a result of this I came to understand just how dangerous it could be if misused.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:52 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Drake wrote:
It's always seemed ridiculous to me that in America you're deemed unfit to handle drink until 21 but you can handle a gun at 18.

LOL i wonder it that too, and fact that Americans circumcise their boys at daily basis, i'm from Poland i was circumcised partially only the part of foreskin, that was abnormal due phimosis, and now i can use my foreskin that left from it in way that null warranty, if you knew what i mean :mrgreen:

But in America apparently you could circumcise you baby for some cosmetic reasons disguised that it had "some medical benefit"

In my country for cutting off a dog's tail or a piece of ear, you can have a criminal case for abusing animals, and if the body's integrity, young boy and his "tail" is more important, this is a rhetorical question, you do not have to answer.

Which does not mean, of course, that this procedure is forbidden but that parents must meet one of the following criteria: :mrgreen:

A) They are Jews
B) They are Muslims
C) The treatment is medically justified

I have deep respect for America but for few things i'm glad i was born small insignificant country called Poland in Central Europe :D

That's something I don't understand either. It's just so unnecessary. The excuses "medical reasons", or the even more lame "aesthetics", are just that - excuses. No one would recommend having ones' eyelids removed in order to "prevent eye infections", and yet I've heard this as a justification for performing this particular, barbaric procedure. I'm also glad I live in a small, insignificant country, but one that is actually far more civilised than those that encourage this disgusting practice.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 5:45 am

Lintar wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Drake wrote:
It's always seemed ridiculous to me that in America you're deemed unfit to handle drink until 21 but you can handle a gun at 18.

LOL i wonder it that too, and fact that Americans circumcise their boys at daily basis, i'm from Poland i was circumcised partially only the part of foreskin, that was abnormal due phimosis, and now i can use my foreskin that left from it in way that null warranty, if you knew what i mean :mrgreen:

But in America apparently you could circumcise you baby for some cosmetic reasons disguised that it had "some medical benefit"

In my country for cutting off a dog's tail or a piece of ear, you can have a criminal case for abusing animals, and if the body's integrity, young boy and his "tail" is more important, this is a rhetorical question, you do not have to answer.

Which does not mean, of course, that this procedure is forbidden but that parents must meet one of the following criteria: :mrgreen:

A) They are Jews
B) They are Muslims

I have deep respect for America but for few things i'm glad i was born small insignificant country called Poland in Central Europe :D

That's something I don't understand either. It's just so unnecessary. The excuses "medical reasons", or the even more lame "aesthetics", are just that - excuses. No one would recommend having ones' eyelids removed in order to "prevent eye infections", and yet I've heard this as a justification for performing this particular, barbaric procedure. I'm also glad I live in a small, insignificant country, but one that is actually far more civilised than those that encourage this disgusting practice.

You profile said that you are from Australia, i o once watched program about circumcision and they stated, that Australia along with United States, Israel and Muslim countries are among the countries where circumcision is the most prevalent :mrgreen:
In Poland circumcision is something rare and only occur when is medically necessary, i was circumcised but only partially due phimosis and frequent bladder infections, but dr, only removed small part of foreskin.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:13 am

14 or 15 for beer and cider. Higher for very strong beer, wine and spirits. Lax on ID. Revitalisation of pubs as welcoming local community places.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:14 am

Lintar wrote:
There shouldn't even be a minimum drinking age. Why? When I was in primary school I often had alcohol, and I didn't turn into an alcoholic. Just the opposite, in fact. I think starting at an early age taught me how to handle the stuff, and as a result of this I came to understand just how dangerous it could be if misused.

I drank when I was quite young. The minimum drinking age is 5 with parental permission.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

I am from Germany. You can legally buy alcohol here at age 16. You are allowed to drink certain beverages within private quarters or specific establishments at age 14. You can drink any alcohol with legal guardian consent from age 12. And statistically speaking, people tend to mature here faster and learn responsibility earlier than in countries where the legal drinking age is higher. I believe other countries should maybe introduce a model that has multiple drinking ages based on alcohol content such as age 14 for beverages below 5% alc./vol, 16 for beverages up to 12% alc./vol (such as wine) and 18 for hard alcohol.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 9:20 am

- I tried alcohol for the first time when I were 10 - my friend stole a beer from his grandpa. I didn't like it. I hate alcohol till today(29). My parents tried to encourage me to "try" wine/champagne since I weer 14 yo but I didn't want to. I don't like the taste. Besides - my dad was an aggressive alcoholic till I were 8yo and become abstinent afterwards so I grew up hating alcohol.
- My cousin tried alcohol the first time when he was 3 (sipping grandpas beers foam). Was allowed to drink wine/champagne with his parents at age 14. Now he is 18 and he can drink when adults are around but then he is with just his friends he gets badly drunk.
- My classmates smuggled some beer during class trip when we were 13 (I didn't drink because I didn't see it as fun or anything). It ended with the restroom dirty of vomit.
- From what I observer the first thing many people do after getting their 18yo ID is buying a lot of alcohol and getting wasted. Because they can now. Idiots.

Therefore I thinks kids and <21 year olds should be allowed to drink alcohol under sober adults control (it won't be good if the adult is drunk). After 21 they should finally get the right to buy and drink alcohol by themselves.
Perhaps that would take away the "forbidden fruit"/"prove of adulthood" aura from alcohol and teach people to drink responsibly.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

Kiriae wrote:
- I tried alcohol for the first time when I were 10 - my friend stole a beer from his grandpa. I didn't like it. I hate alcohol till today(29). My parents tried to encourage me to "try" wine/champagne since I weer 14 yo but I didn't want to. I don't like the taste. Besides - my dad was an aggressive alcoholic till I were 8yo and become abstinent afterwards so I grew up hating alcohol.
- My cousin tried alcohol the first time when he was 3 (sipping grandpas beers foam). Was allowed to drink wine/champagne with his parents at age 14. Now he is 18 and he can drink when adults are around but then he is with just his friends he gets badly drunk.
- My classmates smuggled some beer during class trip when we were 13 (I didn't drink because I didn't see it as fun or anything). It ended with the restroom dirty of vomit.
- From what I observer the first thing many people do after getting their 18yo ID is buying a lot of alcohol and getting wasted. Because they can now. Idiots.

Therefore I thinks kids and <21 year olds should be allowed to drink alcohol under sober adults control (it won't be good if the adult is drunk). After 21 they should finally get the right to buy and drink alcohol by themselves.
Perhaps that would take away the "forbidden fruit"/"prove of adulthood" aura from alcohol and teach people to drink responsibly.

I think that it is necessary to keep the consensus on the age of buying alcohol, in the condition it is, in my opinion this is a proven solution.By myself, I almost do not drink alcohol. Besides, I see that you are also from Poland :-) You should know what is our national temperament, as if the government has increased the age to buy alcohol to 21 years, then the young 18-year-old Poles would rush to buy alcohol, the sheer perversity to make the government angry :mrgreen:

Anyway, from what I've heard many older shopkeepers that running liquor stores, it does not even check the date of birth in the ID card, mistakenly assuming that the ID card is proof that someone is 18 years old, that they are of legal age, when they are not, because as you probably know Polish ID card is also a travel document, entitling to travel in the Schengen zone instead of Passport and can be issued to any person who is over 13 years old. :mrgreen:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:00 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Lintar wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Drake wrote:

A) They are Jews
B) They are Muslims

You profile said that you are from Australia, i o once watched program about circumcision and they stated, that Australia along with United States, Israel and Muslim countries are among the countries where circumcision is the most prevalent :mrgreen:
In Poland circumcision is something rare and only occur when is medically necessary, i was circumcised but only partially due phimosis and frequent bladder infections, but dr, only removed small part of foreskin.

What was the programme? This claim of yours is not accurate. The nations that circumcise the most are located in Africa and the Middle East.

I've lived in Australia since 1970, and I have never known anyone to have had something like this done. Yes, sure, it's not the kind of thing most people would openly talk about, but I've never heard of it being performed on anyone, it's just not something that is ever raised.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:13 pm

I'm 18: I can smoke, have sex and create children, die for my country, but having a glass of beer is a bridge too far!! !!

I don't want to live on this planet anymore....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm 18: I can smoke, have sex and create children, die for my country, but having a glass of beer is a bridge too far!! ! !

I don't want to live on this planet anymore....

I know what you feel :) Sometime i dream what would be if i apply to be an Astronaut for ESA, i'm Polish so European Space Agency are only available option for me, but as kid i suffered some conditions that now are totally that disqualify me from being glider pilot not to mention to be astronaut. So i Dream that if would go to Mars on rocket, when rocket would left the launchpad i would say in my native Polish language "Siema Frajerzy wypierdalam z tej planety! See ya looser i'm f*****g out of this planet! :mrgreen:

Yuri Gagarin first word in space was
Quote:
"The Earth is blue. How wonderful. It is amazing!"
Neil Armstrong first word was
Quote:
That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind

and that was would be mine :P

BTW Our community website name is very accurate :mrgreen:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 2:24 am

If someone is legally and adult (18), able to vote, serve on a jury, and old enough to serve thier country in the armed forces then they should be able to buy all the booze (or guns) they want.
You're either and adult at 18 or your not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 2:57 am

Raptor wrote:
If someone is legally and adult (18), able to vote, serve on a jury, and old enough to serve thier country in the armed forces then they should be able to buy all the booze (or guns) they want.

That argument is usually used to argue for a drinking age of 18. Why is not used as an argument to raise the age for some or all of the other activities? 18 year olds today are less mature in general then 18 year olds in the past for reasons too numourous to list here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 3:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Raptor wrote:

That argument is usually used to argue for a drinking age of 18. Why is not used as an argument to raise the age for some or all of the other activities? 18 year olds today are less mature in general then 18 year olds in the past for reasons too numourous to list here.

Their parents and society as a whole aren't doing diddly to prepare them for life.
Let's fix that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 6:41 pm

Raptor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Their parents and society as a whole aren't doing diddly to prepare them for life.
Let's fix that.

Agreed.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)