Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the UK, social status was, until the late 19th century, primarily on how much land you owned, and how much yearly income you earned from the land.

And whether you owned land at all.

In the US, until 1840, people couldn’t vote unless they owned about 50 or so acres of land.

In the UK, one had to own land in order to vote for Members of Parliament until the late 19th century.

My patrilineal 3gt who was at various times a joiner,inn keeper, cabinet maker was on the electoral rolls for 1861 and 1862. 1861-house and shop. 1862-houses and shop.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:20 am

He owned houses and businesses. Same as land.

I’m not sure of the exact dates. With each Reform Bill, more people were able to vote. Less land owned, and value from real estate or businesses was required. The first Reform Bill was 1831. I’ll have to research how exactly this was manifested. There were at least 4-5 Reform Bills throughout the 19th century.

The requirements were much less stringent in 1861 than in 1830.

I believe, before 1831, that people had to be of “Gentleman” rank or above in order to vote. Or own a substantial amount of land or value from businesses. And they couldn’t be Catholic.

Catholic Emancipation enabled many more people to vote in the 1830s.

By 1900, all males had the franchise.

Bianka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2019, 8:33 am

I had mostly outstanding, dedicated teachers. Literature, math, and philosophy in particular.
(But for the History teacher, who was all about memorizing dates and events, instead of putting humanity into a context.)

But I regret not receiving a civic or religious or psychology education too, from school or my parents.
Because formal education didn't arm me with street smarts, and all that idealization BS left me unprepared for the vicissitudes of human interactions.

In that respect, I think that Eastern European education used to be too theoretical, as they say.
Similarly, Americans complain that Common core is more about teaching 'skills' and preparing people to outcompete others in the global market, than about challenging the status quo.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:34 am

^^I think he was at the top end of the working class scale .

flownawy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2019, 10:36 am

John Taylor Gatto

Bianka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2019, 1:00 pm

flownawy wrote:
John Taylor Gatto

Wow, another great source. Just like the OP's, thanks.

My only criticism of them is that they give parents too much credit.
Not all parents are wise or worldly or well-read.

The other thing is that it can also be a catch 20.

The system of focusing on learning or memorizing skills (how I was brought up) can easily slide into "We teach you about the foot, the leg or ear, but we don't teach you how they all work together".

The reverse - teaching kids to be more civic or philosophically-minded - can easily turn into indoctrination. Teaching critical thinking skills isn't as objective as it sounds either; one inevitably slides in personal values or morals.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 7:57 pm

magz wrote:
What are grammar schools?

It is a school where elderly females, who have produced a child who has then produced a child go to, presumably for re-education porpoises.
Many elderly individuals have social constructs which are in cross porpoises to the more politically correct world we now find ourselves.

This plaque can be seen above the gates of the Ministry of Enlightenment:

Please note: There are schools for re-educating grammpas also. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Sep 2019, 2:22 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
What are grammar schools?

It is a school where elderly females, who have produced a child who has then produced a child go to, presumably for re-education porpoises.
Many elderly individuals have social constructs which are in cross porpoises to the more politically correct world we now find ourselves.

This plaque can be seen above the gates of the Ministry of Enlightenment:

Please note: There are schools for re-educating grammpas also. 8)

[cetacean needed]

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>