Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 192 of 196 [ 3131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 5:43 pm

NSA Jake Sullivan defends U.S’ 'moral authority' to send cluster bombs to Ukraine

Quote:
National Security adviser Jake Sullivan on Sunday defended the Biden administration’s decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine in a U.S. military aid package amid pushback from some congressional Democrats.

“Our moral authority has not derived from being a signatory to the Convention Against Cluster Munitions. We are not, we have not been, at any point since that convention came into effect, neither has Ukraine,” Sullivan said in an interview on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

Most members of NATO have signed on to the Convention on Cluster Munitions, an international agreement that bans the use, production, transfer and stockpiling of the weapons because of the risk they pose to civilians. But the U.S. has not signed the treaty, and neither has Russia or Ukraine.

“Our moral authority and Ukraine’s moral authority in this conflict comes from the fact that we are supporting a country under a brutal, vicious attack by its neighbor with missiles and bombs raining down in its cities, killing its civilians, destroying its schools, its churches, its hospitals,” Sullivan said. “And the idea that providing Ukraine with a weapon in order for them to be able to defend their homeland, protect their civilians, is somehow a challenge to our moral authority — I find questionable.”

The administration’s recent decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine in a U.S. military aid package was met with blowback from some Democratic lawmakers, who noted the surface-to-surface warheads, which disperse small munitions or bombs over wide areas, can explode after battle and sometimes injure or kill innocent people.

Biden has defended what he called his “very difficult decision” to provide cluster munitions to Ukraine, telling CNN last week that the war-torn country “needed” the controversial weapons to defend itself from Russian troops.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken also argued that Ukraine would be “defenseless” if the U.S. had not decided to supply the weapons.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2023, 8:38 am

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... ubscribers

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 5:22 am

Another Putin press release that will be studied in future history books.

For those who don't know, behind closed doors most politicians have privately given up on Ukraine winning - the Ukraine offensive was a failure of historic proportions - another ~20k Ukrainian dead in exchange for maybe 1k Russians and no worthwhile gains. There has been talk of a Polish/Lithuanian intervention (though explicitly described as not a NATO intervention) coming. Rather than wait for Russia to advance across Ukraine towards Polish borders, the plan at present is to send Polish & Lithuanian troops in to occupy what is left of Ukraine to force a stalemate of sorts.

https://archive.is/KkUFw
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/71714

Director of the Foreign Intelligence Service Sergei Naryshkin: Mr President, colleagues.
According to information provided to the service by several sources, officials in Warsaw are gradually coming to an understanding that no kind of Western assistance to Kiev can support Ukraine in reaching the goals of this assistance. Moreover, they are beginning to understand that Ukraine will be defeated in only the matter of time.

In this regard, the Polish authorities are getting more intent on taking the western parts of Ukraine under control by deploying their troops there. There are plans to present this measure as the fulfillment of allied obligations within the Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian security initiative, the so-called Lublin Triangle.

Vladimir Putin: Yes. We should elaborate on what Mr Naryshkin has just said. This information has already appeared in the European media, in particular, the French.

I believe it would be suitable in this context to also remind everyone about several history lessons from the 20th century.

It is clear today that the Western curators of the Kiev regime are certainly disappointed with the results of the counteroffensive that the current Ukrainian authorities announced in previous months. There are no results, at least for now. The colossal resources that were pumped into the Kiev regime, the supply of Western weapons, such as tanks, artillery, armoured vehicles and missiles, and the deployment of thousands of foreign mercenaries and advisers, who were most actively used in attempts to break through the front of our army, are not helping.

Meanwhile, the commanders of the special military operation are acting professionally. Our soldiers, officers and units are fulfilling their duty to the Motherland courageously, steadfastly and heroically. At the same time, the whole world sees that the vaunted Western, supposedly invulnerable, military equipment is on fire, and is often even inferior to some of the Soviet-made weapons in terms of its tactical and technical characteristics.

Yes, of course, more Western weapons can be supplied and thrown into battle. This, of course, causes us some damage and prolongs the conflict. But, firstly, NATO arsenals and stockpiles of old Soviet weapons in some countries are already largely depleted. And secondly, the West does not have the production capacities to quickly replenish the consumption of reserves of equipment and ammunition. Additional, large resources and time are needed.

The main thing is that formations of the Armed Forces of Ukraine suffered huge losses as a result of self-destructive attacks: tens of thousands of people.

And, despite the constant raids and the incessant waves of total mobilisation in Ukrainian cities and villages, it is increasingly difficult for the current regime to send new soldiers to the front. The country’s mobilisation resource is being depleted.

However, massive efforts are being taken to stoke the fire of war – including by exploiting the ambitions of certain East European leaders, who have long turned their hatred for Russia and Russophobia into their key export commodity and a tool of their domestic policy. And now they want to capitalise on the Ukrainian tragedy.

In this regard, I cannot refrain from commenting on what has just been said and on media reports that have come out about plans to establish some sort of the so-called Polish-Lithuanian-Ukrainian unit. This is not about a group of mercenaries – there are plenty of them there and they are being destroyed – but about a well-organised, equipped regular military unit to be used for operations in Ukraine, including to allegedly ensure the security of today’s Western Ukraine – actually, to call things by their true name, for the subsequent occupation of these territories. The outlook is clear: in the event Polish forces enter, say, Lvov or other Ukrainian territories, they will stay there, and they will stay there for good.

And we will actually see nothing new. Just to remind you, following WWI, after the defeat of Germany and its allies, Polish units occupied Lvov and adjacent territories that had been part of Austria-Hungary.
With its actions incited by the West, Poland took advantage of the tragedy of the Civil War in Russia and annexed certain historical Russian provinces. In dire straits, our country had to sign the Treaty of Riga in 1921 and recognise the annexation of its territories.

Even earlier, back in 1920, Poland captured part of Lithuania – the Vilnius region, a territory surrounding the present-day Vilnius. So they claimed that they fought together with the Lithuanians against so-called Russian imperialism, but then immediately snatched a piece of land from their neighbour as soon as the opportunity presented itself.
As is well known, Poland also took part in the partition of Czechoslovakia following the Munich Agreement with Adolf Hitler in 1938, by fully occupying Cieszyn Silesia.

In the 1920-1930s, Poland’s Eastern Borderlands (Kresy) – a territory that comprises present-day Western Ukraine, Western Belarus and part of Lithuania – witnessed a tough policy of Polonisation and assimilation of local residents, with efforts to suppress local culture and Orthodoxy.

I would also like to remind you what Poland’s aggressive policy led to. It led to the national tragedy of 1939, when Poland’s Western allies threw it to the German wolf, the German miliary machine. Poland actually lost its independence and statehood, which were only restored thanks in a large measure to the Soviet Union. It was also thanks to the Soviet Union and thanks to Stalin’s position that Poland acquired substantial territory in the west, German territory. It is a fact that Poland’s western lands are a gift from Stalin.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 12:20 pm

I see similarities between American policy here and Vietnam. In both cases the American policy is to do enough not to lose. In both cases the Americans ruled out trying to win out of fear of how another major power will react out of desperation if we go too far. Then it was fear of millions of Chinese troops, now it is fear of Russian nukes or crippling cyber attacks or both. In both cases we gradually increased lethality as we saw we could do without the feared blowback. In both cases we did not and don’t know what the red line that can not be crossed is or if there is a red line.

In both cases we felt we could not back off because of fear that a defeat would be taken as a sign of weakness. Then during the cold war it fear that the Russians would see us as a paper tiger, now it’s the Chinese.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jul 2023, 2:18 pm

Mikah wrote:
For those who don't know, behind closed doors most politicians have privately given up on Ukraine winning - the Ukraine offensive was a failure of historic proportions - another ~20k Ukrainian dead in exchange for maybe 1k Russians and no worthwhile gains.

That's a relief, for a minute there I was worried that it wasn't going well.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 4:23 pm

Mmhmm, because forum user Mikah is behind closed doors in international meetings with heads of states.

In other news: I read that France has decided to send some missiles with longer ranges that would allow Ukraine to fire on targets on Crimea and deepe behind enemy lines. IIRC they have a range of 250km. It wasn’t disclosed how many were being sent. There was mention of some controversy in the article as some believe it could escalate things unnecessarily. Who knows.. war is pretty unnecessary already so it seems everyone’s already in the thick of it so may as well keep going I guess.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 4:36 pm

Well wars continue until both sides decide it serves their interests best to negotiate. In this case, at least one side must think they have more to gain by continuing to fight. Not sure what exactly either side has gained so far.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 8:18 pm

MaxE wrote:
Well wars continue until both sides decide it serves their interests best to negotiate. In this case, at least one side must think they have more to gain by continuing to fight. Not sure what exactly either side has gained so far.

:?

When you’re attacked and the options are give up and die or fight back people fight back to defend themselves and their territory. Pretty simple stuff. What they gain is the possibility of living & having their country remain free vs just submitting to being murdered.

Russian side is fighting because their leader bean is crazy and won’t stop his unjust war because he’s trying to achieve his goals before he dies. The country itself isn’t really gaining much, if anything, especially if f they end up losing the land they tried to take.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 8:36 pm

Mikah wrote:
For those who don't know, behind closed doors most politicians have privately given up on Ukraine winning - the Ukraine offensive was a failure of historic proportions - another ~20k Ukrainian dead in exchange for maybe 1k Russians and no worthwhile gains. There has been talk of a Polish/Lithuanian intervention (though explicitly described as not a NATO intervention) coming. Rather than wait for Russia to advance across Ukraine towards Polish borders, the plan at present is to send Polish & Lithuanian troops in to occupy what is left of Ukraine to force a stalemate of sorts.

Fortunately, zero of that is true.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 2:11 pm

I'm not sure if this belongs here but Yevgeny Prigozhin may or may not have been killed in a plane crash.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/te ... 023-08-23/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2023, 2:13 pm

Couldn't have happened to a nicer man.

It's true what they say, only the good die young.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 3:27 am

Quote:
Powerful speech by President Joe Biden before the United Nations, with President Zelenskyy also in attendance.
“Russia alone bears responsibility for this war. Russia alone has the power to end this war immediately. And it’s Russia alone that stands in the way of peace.
Russia’s price for peace is Ukraine’s capitulation, Ukraine’s territory, and Ukraine’s children. Russia believes that the world will grow weary and allow it to brutalize Ukraine without consequence.
But I ask you this: If we abandon the core principles of the United States to appease an aggressor, can any state in this body feel that they are protected? If we allow Ukraine to be carved up, is the independence of any nation secure?
I respectfully suggest the answer is ‘no.’ We have to stand up to this naked aggression today, and deter other would-be aggressors tomorrow.
That’s why the U.S. together with our allies and partners around the world will continue to stand with the brave people of Ukraine as they defend their sovereignty and territorial integrity and their freedom.”
Screenshot from CNN Live Feed of President Biden’s Remarks

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 8:34 am

Was at dinner with family friends including a couple of intellectuals who are older than I. One of these in particular has had a hard on for Putin for years — I believe this is actually a holdover from when he strongly sympathized with the Soviet side in his youth. The other is a brilliant mathematician. I don't know all his political beliefs but his parents were involved in the Depression-era Jewish leftist movement — radical trade unionists and all that.

So I can't really discuss anything with them because everything they say can always be supported by quoting some scholarly book one of them has read, although I can't help thinking that they limit their reading to books written by people whose views support their own. Of course they've both been retired for a while and I haven't.

So the whole topic of Ukraine came up as it always has. The first gentleman I mentioned has, from the start, always gone on about how the truth about Ukraine is being suppressed by the news media and how we should pay closer attention to Putin's reasons for taking military action before condemning them or feeling sympathy for Zelenskyy, the Bidens, and their cronies. Last night he made some general remarks to the effect that it's high time Americans took account of the fact that Latin Americans, Africans, and I believe, Asians e.g. India, China, etc. don't support Ukraine; which I suppose makes those of us who do look foolish.

I think there's a simple explanation for this. Latin America, Africa, and "poorer" Asian countries like Indian don't support Ukraine for the simple reason that they expect Russia to prevail and don't want to get on Putin's bad side. China generally looks at everything from its own point of view, which is that they'll take whatever stance best serves their own interests, and if Western countries are refusing to sell certain things to Russia such as ammunition, then they can sell Russia that same ammunition at a premium. I don't think it's by any means an ethical position, it's basic self-interest. Given that China will always be China, as for the other countries, they are acting as they are because the US in the person of our Leading Party refuse to commit to Ukraine, and other Western countries are getting the message and deciding they don't want to throw good money after bad at the Ukrainian cause.

Sorry that may not be very intellectual, but those eggheads will have to try harder to earn my respect.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 12:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NSA Jake Sullivan defends U.S’ 'moral authority' to send cluster bombs to Ukraine
Quote:
National Security adviser Jake Sullivan on Sunday defended the Biden administration’s decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine in a U.S. military aid package amid pushback from some congressional Democrats.

“Our moral authority has not derived from being a signatory to the Convention Against Cluster Munitions. We are not, we have not been, at any point since that convention came into effect, neither has Ukraine,” Sullivan said in an interview on NBC News' "Meet the Press."

Most members of NATO have signed on to the Convention on Cluster Munitions, an international agreement that bans the use, production, transfer and stockpiling of the weapons because of the risk they pose to civilians. But the U.S. has not signed the treaty, and neither has Russia or Ukraine.

“Our moral authority and Ukraine’s moral authority in this conflict comes from the fact that we are supporting a country under a brutal, vicious attack by its neighbor with missiles and bombs raining down in its cities, killing its civilians, destroying its schools, its churches, its hospitals,” Sullivan said. “And the idea that providing Ukraine with a weapon in order for them to be able to defend their homeland, protect their civilians, is somehow a challenge to our moral authority — I find questionable.”

The administration’s recent decision to send cluster munitions to Ukraine in a U.S. military aid package was met with blowback from some Democratic lawmakers, who noted the surface-to-surface warheads, which disperse small munitions or bombs over wide areas, can explode after battle and sometimes injure or kill innocent people.

Biden has defended what he called his “very difficult decision” to provide cluster munitions to Ukraine, telling CNN last week that the war-torn country “needed” the controversial weapons to defend itself from Russian troops.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken also argued that Ukraine would be “defenseless” if the U.S. had not decided to supply the weapons.

Personally would not be surprised if cluster bombs usuage was not a violation of the Geneive Convention rules.If not
It should be ..Personally from what I have read they are dangerous beyond the theatre of War . And some will remain unexploded till long after the conflict .. To me , they would be like using landmines and poisonous gas together as a weapon . Otherwise if War ( which all by itself is immoral). Might as well use Space based weapons and Nukes to achieve objectives ... Kinda Like the USA did with Japan in WW2 . ,Without the Space part.
These corporations are insane .. And seem to be putting profit ahead of any human life .
( Think Corporate controlled Gov. via lobbyists and political Rhetoric, ( saber rattling))
.......................................................................................................................
imaginary Political thought bubble : [ well congress, we have all these cluster munitions we made, just getting old,
Why not send them to a proxy War, because it would look bad if the US used them].
??? The Madmen are running the Asylum????????imho
And inspite of all said , am still pro Ukraine and Ukrainian soverignity.!

where ever you go ,there you are

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 1:36 pm

Jakki wrote:
Personally would not be surprised if cluster bombs usuage was not a violation of the Geneive Convention rules.If not
It should be ..Personally from what I have read they are dangerous beyond the theatre of War . And some will remain unexploded till long after the conflict .. To me , they would be like using landmines and poisonous gas together as a weapon . Otherwise if War ( which all by itself is immoral). Might as well use Space based weapons and Nukes to achieve objectives ... Kinda Like the USA did with Japan in WW2 . ,Without the Space part.
These corporations are insane .. And seem to be putting profit ahead of any human life .
( Think Corporate controlled Gov. via lobbyists and political Rhetoric, ( saber rattling))
.......................................................................................................................
imaginary Political thought bubble : [ well congress, we have all these cluster munitions we made, just getting old,
Why not send them to a proxy War, because it would look bad if the US used them].
??? The Madmen are running the Asylum????????imho
And inspite of all said , am still pro Ukraine and Ukrainian soverignity.!

http://www.the-monitor.org/en-gb/the-issues/faqs/most-common/how-many-countries-use-mines-or-cluster-munitions.aspx

Although the real question might be, if the US offers these cluster bombs, will Ukraine accept them? Will they use them?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 1:29 am

Had no idea , that many countries used them...? That is just aweful, :twisted: i feel .
kinda leaves me to wonder alittle which countries manufacture them......and or sell them.
( nothing like , better weapons of War .) :evil: ( sarcasm implied)

where ever you go ,there you are