Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:10 am

That goes pretty much the same way between different ideologies, philosophies and politics, there are arguments like that between christians themselves, being different denominations. Just think of a protestant and a catholic arguing about the Virgin Mary or another of their differences.

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

oscuria wrote:
....but your objective sounds like atheistic proselytizing....

Oooh boy, have to refute this on AGAIN!! !

Atheists don't belive in something. Athiesm is what one is NOT, not what one is.

How is it possible to proselytize for a lack of something??

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 6:54 pm

I think it's rather simple to disprove religion and "God." Polytheism for one, and the vast amounts of denominations of faith for the other. The only evidence that there ever was a "God" is simply the word of man.

Put that man and his disciples into separate interrogation rooms and just watch how the story changes. Behold: Religion.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 6:59 pm

jfrmeister wrote:
oscuria wrote:

Atheists don't belive in something. Athiesm is what one is NOT, not what one is.

pros·e·ly·tize (prs-l-tz)
v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v.intr.
1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
v.tr.
To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

You're trying to change the beliefs of a person by trying to destroy it--to what are you trying to change them to? That in itself is a form of proselytizing.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 7:01 pm

Splitting hairs, much? At least the atheists don't hold bloody crusades and witch hunts upon which to "convert" others with...

JimmyJazz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

One thing a lot of people say to dispute the validity of religion is "What about the Crusades/Inquisition/etc?"

You're right, people did a lot of bad things in the name of religion.
Of course, The Crusades were essentially a land grab and far more politically motivated...and the Inquisition was used as much by those in power to take down potential dissidents and enemies as it was for it's spoken purpose...but hey, some bad things still happened in the name of religion.

But this isn't to say everything in the name of science is a bag of puppies and rainbows. Right now the Hardron Collider is nearly complete, and will likely be used this summer. The purpose is to generate conditions similair to those immediately after the Big Bang. It is possible that this will create a black hole.
Now, the chances it does that are slim - as are the chances it creates one large enough to wipe out the planet.
But nonetheless, they are willing to risk the -entire planet- in the name of some theoretical science that will have no practical application whatsoever. I think that's about equally morally bankrupt as those who burned people in the name of God.

In the end, science can't prove why it's all here. It never will.
Science tells us how things work - gravity works because larger masses attract smaller ones, and it follows a set of equations we can measure. But why does any of this happen?
Every answer science gives will always leave a signifigant "Yes, but why?" and nomatter how many issues of minutia mankind answers with his arrogance and instruments, we're left with the simple fact that it had to all come from something science can't begin to measure.

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2008, 7:15 pm

oscuria wrote:
jfrmeister wrote:
oscuria wrote:

pros·e·ly·tize (prs-l-tz)
v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v.intr.
1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
v.tr.
To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

You're trying to change the beliefs of a person by trying to destroy it--to what are you trying to change them to?

That's my point. Atheists aren't trying to change them to anything. A lack of something is not something.

Quote:
That in itself is a form of proselytizing.

Not according to the definition you just provided. "Converting a person from one faith to another". Is not the same as "convincing a person that all faith is logically vacuous"

AGAIN, you didn't address my main point. Atheism isn't a thing, it's a lack of a thing. You can't proselytize for nothing.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

I agree with jfrmeister, and must address Jimmy to that fact. It's rather folly to excuse religions crimes by implying that if your an atheist you believe in science, and science has done horrible things as well. It's true they have their similarities, both strive for some great answer.

But sooner or later, people just need to look up at the sky. The stars and the universe, and simply realize we're insignificant specks amongst them. That we are human and in no way any sort of god, and that we'll ever find that illusive answer.

We're never going to leave this planet, this is all we have. We've been damning ourselves since we could think, all in search of that stupid "answer." We need to give it up already, we need to start thinking more about the future, and not that "answer."

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 7:59 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
Splitting hairs, much? At least the atheists don't hold bloody crusades and witch hunts upon which to "convert" others with...

Communism? Not a bloody campaign against religious minded people?

jfrmeister wrote:

That's my point. Atheists aren't trying to change them to anything. A lack of something is not something.

Not according to the definition you just provided. "Converting a person from one faith to another". Is not the same as "convincing a person that all faith is logically vacuous"

AGAIN, you didn't address my main point. Atheism isn't a thing, it's a lack of a thing. You can't proselytize for nothing.

You're trying to make them to follow your position which you believe to be true. You believe that faith is delusion. Why would a person of belief follow one with lack of belief? How logical is it lack in belief? It doesn't make sense to me. If atheism isn't a thing, then a thing that isn't a thing is not worth thinking about.

Either way--even if it might have been in improper usage, my use of "proselytize" was made to effect what I meant, surely you understood what I meant? Poetry uses such contradictions. Are you then to criticize and analyze every single point?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

greenblue wrote:
That goes pretty much the same way between different ideologies, philosophies and politics, there are arguments like that between christians themselves, being different denominations. Just think of a protestant and a catholic arguing about the Virgin Mary or another of their differences.

This makes more since to me.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 10:35 pm

if anybody lacks imagination and "thinking outside the box", it is christians. anybody who has spent a lot of time studying the bible on their own, without the input of christian "scholars", will tell you its pretty much full of poo and is based on the same primitive ideas that makes myth. people who think that just because life exists, that someone had to have created it, is not thinking too hard. anybody who thinks not only were we created by an omnipotent demiurge, but that he inspired men to write books about his activities on earth thousands of years ago, is a kook. truthfully, and i do mean truthfully, there is more proof that dyeus pater, perkwunos, odin, thor etc existed than there is that yahweh and jesus did. does that mean i dont believe in a creator? not necessarily, but i can tell you one thing with a lot of confidence, i wouldnt count on the bible as being a very accurate picture of what god is. "to see by faith is to blind the eye of reason" "faith means not wanting to know what is true"

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm

SirJoseph wrote:
if anybody lacks imagination and "thinking outside the box"

well that's what the god response is. if you notice they use examples of things we don't have answers for yet. like what existed before this universe and what holds things together and the missing pieces in the evolutionary scale (which is getting more and more filled in each year).

all it is is a "god response" when they can no longer comprehend something or accept that it isn't wrong.

JimmyJazz

26 Apr 2008, 10:46 pm

SirJoseph wrote:
if anybody lacks imagination and "thinking outside the box", it is christians. anybody who has spent a lot of time studying the bible on their own, without the input of christian "scholars", will tell you its pretty much full of poo and is based on the same primitive ideas that makes myth. people who think that just because life exists, that someone had to have created it, is not thinking too hard. anybody who thinks not only were we created by an omnipotent demiurge, but that he inspired men to write books about his activities on earth thousands of years ago, is a kook. truthfully, and i do mean truthfully, there is more proof that dyeus pater, perkwunos, odin, thor etc existed than there is that yahweh and jesus did. does that mean i dont believe in a creator? not necessarily, but i can tell you one thing with a lot of confidence, i wouldnt count on the bible as being a very accurate picture of what god is. "to see by faith is to blind the eye of reason" "faith means not wanting to know what is true"

I've read the entire bible and studied it, along with the books of multiple other religions. I did this when I was a younger teenager and not sure which religion was best for me, if any. I've done it again since as a hobby. I don't think the bible is 'full of poo'. I don't think some force had to consciously create every form of life, but I do think something is holding it all together and started everything off. I don't think that's foolish, and I have thought very hard about it.

It's probably also safe to say that the billions of people out there who believe in some form of the Divine are not kooks. Maybe they are, but I've met a whole lot of theists and a whole lot of non-theists. Both sides had kooks, both sides had reasonable, good people.

Also, I'd like to see you cite whatever proof you found of Odin that somehow supercedes all that exists for the Christian concept of God. I've studied that pantheon and enjoyed it, but certainly never found any 'proof'.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 10:54 pm

as far as odin goes im just talking about literature, not religions based on him. there is more literary evidence from many, many different places that the proto-indo-european gods existed than jesus and yahweh, adam and eve. thats what im saying. damn here i am in an interesting forum and its bedtime. ill continue tomorrow. if enough books were written about somebody and advertised as nonfiction, naturally people would swear they were real. talk to you later

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

SirJoseph wrote:
as far as odin goes im just talking about literature, not religions based on him. there is more literary evidence from many, many different places that the proto-indo-european gods existed than jesus and yahweh, adam and eve. thats what im saying. damn here i am in an interesting forum and its bedtime. ill continue tomorrow. if enough books were written about somebody and advertised as nonfiction, naturally people would swear they were real. talk to you later

if it's printed, it's good enough for me to believe. :roll:

that's what they're doing with man-made global warming. the information right now is not nearly as conclusive as it's being sold as and just from initial looks around, the most likely culprit is a combination of solar activity, the solar winds working against us, and that our polar magnets are shifting again and so the magnetic field that reflect much of the radiation from the sun that heats up the planet is weakening.

but everyone's got that christian guilt garbage so deeply embedded in them that they have to find something to be guilty for so it's global warming. or maybe it's more comforting to think that there's something that can be done.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 11:03 pm

i agree with you on the global warming. isnt mars getting warmer too? but honestly, many many people dont even read ANY of the bible before they decide they are christian. those are the people i ridicule. btw i dont believe in odin. ok bedtime. see ya