v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

Orwell wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
Why do people hate America?

They're just jealous because they know we're better than everyone else. 8) :P

Actually Russia is ahead of us, and they always have been. They were the first to put something in orbit and the first to put someone in space. (During the time the US released videos of Russians as barely being able to push a plow down a field, so them putting something into space was kind of a shock to the people). The US was afraid its citizens wouldn't have the "we are the bestist" attitude anymore so they (alegidly) put the first man on the moon. The US citizens were so arrogent that they were afraid of someone else having the ability to do something as advanced as putting something in space because it wasn't them who was doing it. So, "Sputnik is evil, a man on the moon is good". See what I mean?
If you look at their military advances, you will see that they are also way ahead of us (particularly in their version of our airforce). But our government continues to say nasty things about them that isn't true because they are the ones who are jealous.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 8:09 pm

^lolwut?

The same Russia with the $9K GDP per capita and the economy smaller than Canada's?

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 8:12 pm

I didn't say anything about its economy -.- I was talking about military advances, and overal morals (which are ENTIRELY falsified by the western libral system)

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2009, 10:37 pm

v0lume wrote:
I didn't say anything about its economy -.- I was talking about military advances, and overal morals (which are ENTIRELY falsified by the western libral system)

Ah yes, the moral system to allow staggering amounts of poverty and assassinations at will.

On topic though, the US is disliked because of prat-like behavior of the soon-to-be former president of 8 years. Also, for many things done in the Cold War, like overthrowing Iran's Prime Minister Mossadegh.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 10:54 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Seriously, why? I mean, I don't particularly like America - after all, the education system is a joke, an alarming number of the population are extremely religious, with a strong tendency to elect leaders of the same ilk, shocking minimum wage and poverty in a supposed developed nation, the anthem is essentially a giant f**k you to other nations and the U.S. Government has a history of trying to act as the worlds police - many US citizens have now noticed and are dissatisfied with that one. Not to mention that a predominantly White Christian government has too much sway in world events, each year the people of the nation have gotten stupider and fatter - not unnoticed by concerned Americans themselves, there is still a strong note of racism in the country, an insular culture, and an alarming power in the world Market despite being heavily in debt with an economy in it's death throes. After all, the U.S no longer has the resources to be a super power - those days are over. The U.S. economy has virtually nothing left but old money. It's a wealthy poor nation, yet to realize it's not the bastion of civilization it was one hundred years ago. I don't like the country - but I don't dislike it. So it's flawed. Big deal? Granted, America is a problem that needs to be solved in coming years - but, what nation hasn't had their problems? I know why many now spit on the ground when they hear the word America - but just because the flailing U.S has been in the spotlight for problems that can afflict any nation, why are they now despised for that by many?

Even so, American tourists who try to speak "aurstralian" should be shot on site. Still, not as bad as those bloody Europeans who think camping beside a river at night is safe...

I agree with you, but isn't Australia the same way? Even though The Aussies aren't "world police men" like the Americans, they have a predominately white christian leadership don't they? Plus, haven't they treated the Aborigines just like how the white leadership in america treated blacks to an extent?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:03 pm

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
v0lume wrote:

Ah yes, the moral system to allow staggering amounts of poverty and assassinations at will.

On topic though, the US is disliked because of prat-like behavior of the soon-to-be former president of 8 years. Also, for many things done in the Cold War, like overthrowing Iran's Prime Minister Mossadegh.

People hated America long before George W. Bush became president. Nixon, when he was Vice President was nearly murdered by a mob in South America. Being Numero Uno drives some people to hostility. If the U.S. had remained isolationist as it was before 1939, fewer people would have hated this country. The people of Iran took great umbrage when the U.S. helped overthrow and assassinate Mossidegh back in (I think) 1953. And then we helped put the Shah of Iran (Pahlevi) on his throne against the will of the people.

The U.S. well well hated south of the border. The U.S. had been involved in imperialistic philibusters in Latin America since the Mexican American war of 1842 where we stole half of Mexico from the Mexicans. Also our involvement in Central America did not win friends. On several occasions the Marines were sent to Nicaragua and Guatemala to defend the interests of the United Fruit Company. The Panama Canal was built after Teddy Roosevelt fomented a revolution that rendered Panama independent of Venezuela.

Question: Doesn't anyone study history anymore? Do you think all of our troubles began 8 years ago? Recall that the first attack on the World Trade Center occurred under Bill Clinton's watch in 1993. And Clinton was lobbing Monica Missiles into downtown Baghdad. Not to say anything of the bombing of Serbia. Oh how quickly they forget!

ruveyn

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2009, 8:09 am

Hurricane_Delta wrote:

Have you even talked to Russian people before (or about this in the very least)? I'd say thats a big no. Also, all you have to do is research, that people go missing there no more than they go missing here, saying the Russian government is behind it is just western paranoia/propaganda. I've heard our own president lie through his teeth about this country countless amounts of times. All I had to do is research it, catch him in the act, then double check with someone from Russia and be disgusted with my country once more. Screwed cycle isn't it? By the way, there are no "mass executions" in Russia anymore, it's not the 1920s! Since Putin they have been much better off.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 3:42 pm

twoshots wrote:
Intriguingly, practically everyone I deal with has nasty things to say about Americans. And everything I read too. It seems odd that so much of America hates on Americans so much of the time. These "real" Americans apparently live under logs and in dank caves in the Red States, and only come out to vote for Bush, beat up gays, bomb Arabs, burn fossil fuels, and force their religion on others.

I have to agree, from my experience of the US (admittedly only 3 months) the general population seem to have little in common with the foreign policy of their government or the loud mouthed evangelical rednecks that make it to our tv screens

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2009, 4:52 pm

[edited by sinsboldly]

Seriously.[/quote]

Well yea, cause all Russians are criminals :roll: :roll:

Seriously.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:11 pm

And all French people are snotty!! :x

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

It seems to be because of how the US treats foreign countries. I used to talk online to many people from different countries and they all seem to think we're full of ourselves mostly because the UN as it stands now is primarily in the interest of the US and its main allies. Also in terms of foriegn policy they feel we don't get involved in alot but when we need something we go asking for help like we deserve it. Now some of this may be emotional backlash. Just to say one thing I do know for sure we are usually in a large amount of debt more then any other country so the whole "we have the best economy" is acutally wrong.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

v0lume wrote:
[edited by sinsboldly]

Seriously.

Well yea, cause all Russians are criminals :roll: :roll:

Seriously.[/quote]
Well, I'm just not really sure where you're deriving your presumptions of superior knowledge from. Many people may be stacked unfairly against the Russians, but that doesn't exactly make Russia up to par with Western values and economic progress and whatnot. It isn't criticized without reason.

PS: Russia does have quite a lot of crime. At about 20 murders per hundred thousand people, it accomplishes the very difficult task of making the US' homicide rate look good. As of the year 2000,
http://www.fas.org/news/russia/2000/russia/part07.htm wrote:
The impact of organized crime in Russia is staggering. Russian officials estimate that up to 50% of the nation's economy is in some way connected to organized crime.

I can dig up a bbc article in which Putin himself criticized the enormous amount of crime in Russia if you require your russian propaganda straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:22 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
I have to agree, from my experience of the US (admittedly only 3 months) the general population seem to have little in common with the foreign policy of their government or the loud mouthed evangelical rednecks that make it to our tv screens

Obviously you didn't visit NYC. Not fitting the national stereotype in no way prevents anyone in the NYC metro area from being a whole 'nother class of asshat.

Edit: as in, had you, you would be criticizing another national character flaw entirely...

Last edited by twoshots on 14 Jan 2009, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:22 pm

well, I don't think the situation can get any worse. Now Obama is going in, things will improve a lot I think. It was a victory for people all over the world, people like him. And I think America has gained respect from people it didn't have from before. It shows as a nation they do want change. Well the majority. He will be more concerened with world affairs. Unlike Bushie.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 5:23 pm

well, I don't think the situation can get any worse. Now Obama is going in, things will improve a lot I think. It was a victory for people all over the world, people like him. And I think America has gained respect from people it didn't have from before. It shows as a nation they do want change. Well the majority. He will be more concerened with world affairs. Unlike Bushie.

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

twoshots wrote:
Well, I'm just not really sure where you're deriving your presumptions of superior knowledge from. Many people may be stacked unfairly against the Russians, but that doesn't exactly make Russia up to par with Western values and economic progress and whatnot. It isn't criticized without reason.

The fact is that I have studied the Russian people/government, talked to citizens personally over the internet and a few in real life. So yea, I know a "thing or two" about the subject.
You say that the US is better for having lower homicide rates? Give me a break! In just about each major city (particularly the ones riddled with gangs.. ie pretty much every city in the US (which is extremely dangerous), about 400-600+ people get murdered every year (for just one of the cities alone!). In other words, Russias streets are extremely peaceful in comparrison, with the exception of if your an immigrant who thinks he can become a Russian resident scotch free.. I'll admit it's not safe to be an immigrant moving into Russia, but in the US, it's dangerous to be anything no matter what! You say the US has a lower homicide rate, I mean seriously, in every major city at least 2 people will be killed every day, now that is REALLY bad and we have no room to talk there.
Ok, there might be lots of crime in Russia, there's a lot of crime here too! Even if they do have a bit more, in general a large quantity of the people are better than your average US citizen imo. They aren't arrogent, most of them keep their old spiritual culture alive, and are extremely friendly. I mean, I'm an aspie and I've been able to keep online Russian friends for longer than anyone else from anywhere else. That says a lot to me concidering how many people I've contacted.

Plus I'll say again, with all that stuff aside, my point was is that their military advances are better.

Last edited by v0lume on 14 Jan 2009, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.