Page 7 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:10 pm

Sand wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Yeah, and Jesus had been been executed by way of the electric chair, we might be wearing little tiny electric chairs around our necks today.

But I doubt it, 'cause that technology didn't exist in the 1st century.

It's lucky for Christians the Romans didn't kill Christ by infecting him with leprosy.

or herpees

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:12 pm

^ Aside from the assumption that a perfect man would be immune to such diseases, of course.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:25 pm

Sand wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
audiobyrne wrote:
How do you wear a flake of skin around your neck?

Perhaps it should be a disembodied nose or finger?

I see we're having lots of fun with this one.

Theoretically a disembodied nose could lead to several new bits of dogmatism. A small sign saying "God Nose". Or the triumvirate could be The Father, the Son, and the Wholly Sneeze. No offense intended.

Incidentally it was Lenny Bruce who conceived the electric chair thing.

I don't think the electric chair thing is really all that sound. The cross is a very ancient and common symbol used in many varieties of contexts; that it got adopted by Christianity need not be read as entirely caused by the fact that it had symbolic weight so much as that it has symbolic weight and is an otherwise natural cult symbol.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:32 pm

twoshots wrote:
Sand wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
audiobyrne wrote:

Theoretically a disembodied nose could lead to several new bits of dogmatism. A small sign saying "God Nose". Or the triumvirate could be The Father, the Son, and the Wholly Sneeze. No offense intended.

I don't think the electric chair thing is really all that sound. The cross is a very ancient and common symbol used in many varieties of contexts; that it got adopted by Christianity need not be read as entirely caused by the fact that it had symbolic weight so much as that it has symbolic weight and is an otherwise natural cult symbol.

Agreed but most 'Christians' will tell you that they venerate it because the believe it was the instrument of Jesus' death and will usually not admit the cult ties. That's what makes the electric chair funny. It's exposing their flawed logic.

For the record, I am a Christian. I guess you might just say that I am a 'locigal' Christian and I do not take stock in the silly rituals and other types of things that have no religious value but exist for the sake of tradition.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:36 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
twoshots wrote:
Sand wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
audiobyrne wrote:

Agreed but most 'Christians' will tell you that they venerate it because the believe it was the instrument of Jesus' death and will usually not admit the cult ties. That's what makes the electric chair funny. It's exposing their flawed logic.

In the very old days of Christianity it was a fish that symbolized Christianity. I don't know why.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:39 pm

Sand wrote:
In the very old days of Christianity it was a fish that symbolized Christianity. I don't know why.

I still see that around now. I've been told it was a secret symbol for when Christians were underground.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:45 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Sand wrote:

I still see that around now. I've been told it was a secret symbol for when Christians were underground.

If it was underground a mole might have been more appropriate but it's tougher to draw. Maybe the catacombs had running water.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:53 pm

Not literally underground. I mean they were in secret, in hiding. The fish was a way for them to recognize eachother.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 1:57 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I think that Christians are stereotyped as being racist, sexist, and homophobic, when we're not.

Well a lot of them in southern USA are actually.

They've got quite a culture down there, don't they?

Yeah :x I heard one guy got tied to a back of a truck and driven around till he died. Cause people found out he was gay. I mean i'm not pro-gay or anything. Maybe a quick shot to the head would have been fairer. :wink:

Fag-Dragging, I believe, is what they call it. Makes you wonder what they would've done to a transsexual.

audiobyrne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2009, 2:10 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Sand wrote:

Ichthys

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."

-Mahatma Gandhi

audiobyrne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2009, 2:15 pm

Many other groups have bastardized the Ichthys fish. I've seen them with "Gefilte" written inside, with legs and "Darwin", with an arm holding Mjollnir and "Thor", etc.

I've also seen it with a cross near the head for some reason, which I never understood...mostly on the cars of Evangelicals. It's meant to be an obscure symbol, but the cross just ruins it IMO.

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."

-Mahatma Gandhi

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:18 pm

But the best of course...

audiobyrne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2009, 2:20 pm

^^^ :twisted:

-Mahatma Gandhi

monty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:20 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Umm.... this isn't mainstream Christian at all....

Yes, I agree according to my understanding of mainstream. Unfortunately, in many areas of the US, the 'mainstream' is the minority.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 2:52 pm

slowmutant wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I think that Christians are stereotyped as being racist, sexist, and homophobic, when we're not.

Well a lot of them in southern USA are actually.

They've got quite a culture down there, don't they?

Yeah :x I heard one guy got tied to a back of a truck and driven around till he died. Cause people found out he was gay. I mean i'm not pro-gay or anything. Maybe a quick shot to the head would have been fairer. :wink:

Fag-Dragging, I believe, is what they call it. Makes you wonder what they would've done to a transsexual.

Lol, I had to laugh at that :oops: Well we have vans called transits over here....

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 4:04 pm

twoshots wrote:
But the best of course...

What about Yog-Sothoth? Cthulhu is NOT a deity, it is an extraterrestrial lifeform. :wink: