Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knqpgj0x7xY[/youtube]

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:40 pm

Impressive. Looks like the bill is finally going to pass.

Who was it on here who was railing against this bill because of the cost? I know this bill has been discussed here before.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:50 pm

I :heart: Jon Stewart! I was about to go to bed when Thursday's show came on until I saw what he was doing. I was especially pleased to see him put Huckabee up against the wall and make him promise to go back to the republicans and insist that they support the bill.

Nicely done, sir.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:51 pm

Orwell wrote:

Who was it on here who was railing against this bill because of the cost? I know this bill has been discussed here before.

Wasn't it John Boehner?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 9:07 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Wasn't it John Boehner?

I meant specifically on WP; there was a discussion on this bill earlier (I think prompted by that Anthony Weiner video) and someone was making excuses for the Repubs based on the alleged cost of the bill. At first I thought Inuyasha, but I may be confusing him with someone else. :?

I know Boehner opposed the bill, but I expect that from my useless scumbag of a representative. It's his MO: screw over the poor and middle class, and then cry like a little b***h.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:17 pm

the daily show: america's most trusted news source.

awesome and terrible at the same time.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:56 pm

I'm a regular watcher of The Daily Show. John Stewart has made this bill his personal cause since it was proposed, even hosting a roundtable of 9/11 first responders who all have cancer. It's nice to see that somebody listened.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 7:44 pm

It seems the standard protocol for republicans is to go into a chicken little sky is falling hysteria on how the federal government is completely "broke" and can't afford anything regarding social welfare. I think the people who voted against this aught to have their government benefits and government paycheck slashed to help pay for the bill.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 8:28 am

marshall wrote:
It seems the standard protocol for republicans is to go into a chicken little sky is falling hysteria on how the federal government is completely "broke" and can't afford anything regarding social welfare. I think the people who voted against this aught to have their government benefits and government paycheck slashed to help pay for the bill.

What happens when the amount of money the government owes exceeds the gross domestic product?

What happens when we owe more than we can ever earn?

It is time for our government to spend less than it takes in in taxes. One place to cut is our excessive military spending. That is something like 1/3 of the budget. Another place to cut is subsidies and bail-outs to businesses that no longer function. Let them go bankrupt and recycle their material assets to be better producers. Another place to cut is to stop spending money to keep people idle. One place to spend is to reward businesses that hire people to perform productive labor in producing services and making stuff that people can and will buy.

If the Netherlands could recover from the tulip bulb fever of the 17th century, we can recover from the madness of the last 70 or 80 years. Part of that madness is the doctrine of Perpetual War. We cannot afford war. We should only do war when the alternative is anihilation.

ruveyn

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:47 pm

I was moved when I saw that episode of The Daily Show. It was clear Jon Stewart genuinely sympathized with the first responders, especially since he's brought this up in previous episodes too. Bringing on a few of the firefighters and police officers affected and just letting them tell their story and expressing sympathy really put pressure on the Republicans to pass this bill. I think Stewart wants to be not just a comedian but now also someone who can have a net positive influence on American politics.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:09 am

After all this time when Republicans had used 9-11 to drum up jingoistic nationalism, and the ugliest ethnic and religious bigotry, many of them showed their true colors with their hardheartedness. And to think, it took a funny man like Jon Stewart to reveal their hypocrisy.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
After all this time when Republicans had used 9-11 to drum up jingoistic nationalism, and the ugliest ethnic and religious bigotry, many of them showed their true colors with their hardheartedness. And to think, it took a funny man like Jon Stewart to reveal their hypocrisy.

Just what reaction did you expect when lunatics yelling Allah hu Akbar hijack commercial flights and crash the planes into tall buildings? Do you think a hostile reaction is hypocrisy?

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Just what reaction did you expect when lunatics yelling Allah hu Akbar hijack commercial flights and crash the planes into tall buildings? Do you think a hostile reaction is hypocrisy?

ruveyn

Actually, I think I wasn't as specific as I had intended to be. I meant to say that the conservatives who played up on 9-11, with all their jingoism and bigotry, revealed their hardheartedness by not caring about the first responders' health concerns. Rereading my post, I can see how I should have taken more care to have explained my point.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 9:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Actually, I think I wasn't as specific as I had intended to be. I meant to say that the conservatives who played up on 9-11, with all their jingoism and bigotry, revealed their hardheartedness by not caring about the first responders' health concerns. Rereading my post, I can see how I should have taken more care to have explained my point.

The icon of the Democrat Party is the Donkey or Ass, but in truth the real asses are often the Republicans.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:35 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The icon of the Democrat Party is the Donkey or Ass, but in truth the real asses are often the Republicans.

ruveyn

Well the donkey was associated with the dems back when they were more like the republicans and the republicans were more like the dems.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
marshall wrote:

What happens when the amount of money the government owes exceeds the gross domestic product?

What happens when we owe more than we can ever earn?

It is time for our government to spend less than it takes in in taxes. One place to cut is our excessive military spending. That is something like 1/3 of the budget. Another place to cut is subsidies and bail-outs to businesses that no longer function. Let them go bankrupt and recycle their material assets to be better producers. Another place to cut is to stop spending money to keep people idle. One place to spend is to reward businesses that hire people to perform productive labor in producing services and making stuff that people can and will buy.

If the Netherlands could recover from the tulip bulb fever of the 17th century, we can recover from the madness of the last 70 or 80 years. Part of that madness is the doctrine of Perpetual War. We cannot afford war. We should only do war when the alternative is anihilation.

I'm not saying we shouldn't cut spending. I'm just saying the Repugs are bloody hypocrites. The bastards only make a huge effing fuss about spending when the spending goes to help people. They don't break into chicken little hysteria about wasteful spending that suits their interests such as Ray-guns missile defense program (an epic fail).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/library/news/2010/space-101216-inhofe01.htm