Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 1:48 am

I remember at least one person on this forum had recurring gut problems. Today's New Scientist science blog (http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/) reports on someone who found that gut problems in autistitcs are often associated with high levels of clostridium bacteria, and tried to develop a treatment. Scientifically, it was a failure, because it worked well enough that the parents of children who got the real instead of placebo treatment realised that and refused to switch over. That interfered with the experimental design to the point where he has to do a new study.

Overcast
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2006, 2:26 pm

I've been drinking a probiotic fruit-drink called ProViva a while. It contains a bactria called Lactobacillus plantarum 299v which is supposed to help against clostridium. I think it has had some effect in reducing gas-problems and constipation. Haven't noticed any effects on social symptoms though. I'll try drinking it more regularly and see.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2006, 3:36 am

Thanks for posting this.
I always enjoy reading about new sudies, even those that may not be all that sucesful. I have read much about probiotics being useful for many things, I have tried them myself. Although I didnt notice much, I am willing to try this specific one. I would do most anything to feel good these days.. hehe.

:)