Jailers stand by while paralyzed man slowly dies

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 1:16 am

IMO, it's cases like these that make the Black Lives Matter movement so important, in addition to what we hear on the news:

https://www.readfrontier.com/investigat ... ial-crypt/

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 3:56 am

I just read some of the details from the case... 8O

Seriously, being burned at the stake or eaten alive by predators would probably have been a less gruesome way to die...

Who are these correctional officers anyway? People too vicious to get a job even at Abu Ghraib?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 4:43 am

[sarcasm]Another triumph for humanity[/sarcasm]

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

There is a subculture of extreme arrogance among some law enforcement & the corporations they hire when they privatize/outsource services such as medical care in prisons and jails - or far too often, the facilities themselves. It borders on narcissism. In this case it really seems the personnel were annoyed with him for not complying with their orders to quit faking being paralyzed, and so they treated him accordingly. Probably felt completely justified in what they were doing. I'd even go so far to say that I bet many of them still don't believe he was actually paralyzed. Because that would mean they were wrong.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 9:56 pm

AFAIC these are not quite so isolated incidents but part of an informal culling that is going on.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm

Might as well criminalize paralysis. After all, if you're paralyzed, it's obvious you're not going to follow orders.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm

Well, he wanted to die. He's dead. RIP, dude.

The callousness and arrogance involved is staggering.

I fail, however, to see where it's a race thing. Unless I was docile, cooperative, and effusively grateful, I would expect to be treated in the same manner.

Maybe it's #CrazyLivesMatter.

There's obviously a serious problem.

But I think it's bigger, deeper, and darker than the color of anyone's skin.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 11:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AFAIC these are not quite so isolated incidents but part of an informal culling that is going on.

I would be inclined to agree.

And anyone who thinks it's primarily a race thing is delusional.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 11:26 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I would be inclined to agree. And anyone who thinks it's primarily a race thing is delusional.

I long ago concluded it is a class thing. the working class is slowly being squeezed to death, TPTB consider us to be "useless eaters" and "disposable," "surplus population." but I also think TPTB are using racist local officials to do their dirty work.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 11:55 pm

I believe this is the very definition of depraved indifference, I hope criminal charges are coming on top of the civil suit.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:49 am

There are a lot of police and medical personnel who need to be arrested in this case, plus any of the other similar cases mentioned regarding this facility. Hopefully, the pending court case will bring that about. One more thing. This isn't a racial issue. It's a matter of not even seeing the persons in detention as worthy of humane treatment. The people involved have no business being employed in these jobs. They are better suited to work in a meat processing plant--after they serve time in jail for what they did.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 11:57 am

It is part of the culture here on Long Island. Several inmates die unneccasarly each year. Medical treatment in the county jail has been outsourced to a politically connected company.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 2:41 pm

and we all are letting it happen.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I would be inclined to agree. And anyone who thinks it's primarily a race thing is delusional.

I long ago concluded it is a class thing. the working class is slowly being squeezed to death, TPTB consider us to be "useless eaters" and "disposable," "surplus population." but I also think TPTB are using racist local officials to do their dirty work.

I'm perfectly certain racial biases and tensions are being exploited in more ways than one.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

In the recently closed BLM = Black on Black violence thread, I mentioned that more times than not profiling and other criminal police actions aren't due to race, but more economics. Police target black people because for the most part they're poor and don't have the funds to defend themselves in the pay-to-play justice system, but it's the same for a lot of poor white people all over the country as well. Not that there aren't racial driven events, but when we're talking the disintegration of police behavior over the last 50 years I tend to think more of it has to do with economics than anything.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:18 pm

it is only gonna get worse, far worse. until we demand change, this is what we get.