Confederate monuments are coming down.

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 2:13 pm

Ignotum wrote:
It is good however that they took this step on the way to mending their racist past.

Um, hello? The U.S. has been taking steps to "mend our racist past" for more than twice the years that you've been on this earth----and, where has it gotten us? NOWHERE, cuz every time some crybaby calls 1-800-WAAAAAAH, the person on the other end, says: "Oh, you poor baby, I'm so sorry----I'll put a stop to that / change that / ban that / make a law against that, right away!!". Then, people know all they have to do, is call that number again, and people will be falling all over themselves, to do whatever is asked.

Ever seen a spoiled-rotten brat, crying big ol' crocodile tears and jumpin' up-and-down 'til their parent complies and gives them what they want? IMO, it's the same thing----as long as you give 'em an inch, the next time they'll want a MILE!! When does that parent get to say "ENOUGH" without being looked-upon as a bad person?

I don't know about YOU----but, *I* had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery, and no black person alive, was directly affected by it, EITHER; so, when do *I* (and every other white USer [can't say "American" anymore, cuz somebody'll cry about THAT]) get to say "ENOUGH"! ! Maybe, only when more crackers, like me, get the "white privilege" of getting put-down almost every time they set foot outside the door, because of what "we" did, will they finally get some sense knocked-into their head----but, don't hold your breath, cuz ol' wh***y isn't "allowed" to be hurt by it, and they deserve everything they get (every put-down / ridicule / rude comment, etc., etc. etc.)! !

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 4:35 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Ignotum wrote:
It is good however that they took this step on the way to mending their racist past.

Um, hello? The U.S. has been taking steps to "mend our racist past" for more than twice the years that you've been on this earth----and, where has it gotten us? NOWHERE, cuz every time some crybaby calls 1-800-WAAAAAAH, the person on the other end, says: "Oh, you poor baby, I'm so sorry----I'll put a stop to that / change that / ban that / make a law against that, right away!!". Then, people know all they have to do, is call that number again, and people will be falling all over themselves, to do whatever is asked.

Ever seen a spoiled-rotten brat, crying big ol' crocodile tears and jumpin' up-and-down 'til their parent complies and gives them what they want? IMO, it's the same thing----as long as you give 'em an inch, the next time they'll want a MILE!! When does that parent get to say "ENOUGH" without being looked-upon as a bad person?

I don't know about YOU----but, *I* had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery, and no black person alive, was directly affected by it, EITHER; so, when do *I* (and every other white USer [can't say "American" anymore, cuz somebody'll cry about THAT]) get to say "ENOUGH"! ! Maybe, only when more crackers, like me, get the "white privilege" of getting put-down almost every time they set foot outside the door, because of what "we" did, will they finally get some sense knocked-into their head----but, don't hold your breath, cuz ol' wh***y isn't "allowed" to be hurt by it, and they deserve everything they get (every put-down / ridicule / rude comment, etc., etc. etc.)! !

Plenty of white and black people still remember segregation and Jim Crow, while plenty clearly see how voter disenfranchisement is taking place today. The culprit of all this is white supremacy, which can be best ended by uprooting the glorification of the Antebellum and Confederate past.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 4:39 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I think stuff like this just perpetuates racism.

It seems like those who shout the loudest about it and grandstand like this, are the ones who keep it most alive.

Indeed. Didn't Hitler, Stalin and Mao have massive "cultural" revolutions, too? How did that turn out? Those who are cheering this should remain vigilant. After all, their own sacred cows might get gored, too, given enough time and boredom among the res novae ad nauseum crowd.

Seriously? Civil rights is to be likened to totalitarianism that suppressed equality and liberty?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

It seems like those who shout the loudest about it and grandstand like this, are the ones who keep it most alive.

Indeed. Didn't Hitler, Stalin and Mao have massive "cultural" revolutions, too? How did that turn out? Those who are cheering this should remain vigilant. After all, their own sacred cows might get gored, too, given enough time and boredom among the res novae ad nauseum crowd.

Seriously? Civil rights is to be likened to totalitarianism that suppressed equality and liberty?

No. Destroying statues and other monuments because someone disagrees with the imagery or intent is like totalitarianism, in my opinion.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:15 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

No. Destroying statues and other monuments because someone disagrees with the imagery or intent is like totalitarianism, in my opinion.

Even if those monuments represent suppression of others?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Absolutely. How would the desecration or removal of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington be accepted by those who see the historic value of King? How would their opinions be different from those who see the historic value of Confederate leaders? Those who see a difference might wish to re-read their Bill of Rights.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:43 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Absolutely. How would the desecration or removal of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial in Washington be accepted by those who see the historic value of King? How would their opinions be different from those who see the historic value of Confederate leaders? Those who see a difference might wish to re-read their Bill of Rights.

Sure, you can glorify the confederate past, but should you? It's a matter of taking into consideration the feelings of African Americans whose ancestors had been slaves, then suffered under continued racial suppression in the name of that Confederate legacy, as well as those southern whites whose ancestors had chosen to fight for the north.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 5:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Sure, you can glorify the confederate past, but should you? It's a matter of taking into consideration the feelings of African Americans whose ancestors had been slaves, then suffered under continued racial suppression in the name of that Confederate legacy, as well as those southern whites whose ancestors had chosen to fight for the north.

Are you including the feelings of the descendants of those freed slaves who chose to fight for the Confederacy?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 6:54 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Are you including the feelings of the descendants of those freed slaves who chose to fight for the Confederacy?

In such cases, those black Confederate soldiers were either brought along with their masters, and put in uniform to perform services as back home for said masters, or they were promised their freedom, which was the case when the south was running out of man power - that latter being opposed by many Confederates, including the CSA VP.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

In such cases, those black Confederate soldiers were either brought along with their masters, and put in uniform to perform services as back home for said masters, or they were promised their freedom, which was the case when the south was running out of man power - that latter being opposed by many Confederates, including the CSA VP.

Are their descendants any less proud of their ancestors' duty? If I were one of their descendants, I would be certainly. So, why destroy artifacts of their memories?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

EXACTLY----and, there were / are PLENTY of people (not me) who only thought of MLK as a thorn-in-their-side!!

AspieUtah wrote:

THANKYOU!! Not only THAT----but, there are black people, TODAY, who consider the confederate flag a symbol of Southern Pride, as well, when they're from the South. I kid you not----when I first saw a black man wearing a confederate flag T-shirt, I almost fell-over, because so many people attach racism to that symbol, and I've seen several, SINCE then; and, I just wanna go-up to them and HUG them, because that symbolizes, to ME, someone who is NOT a sheeple, and THINKS!!

Edit: To correct a boo-boo.

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 30 Apr 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:19 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Are their descendants any less proud of their ancestors' duty? If I were one of their descendants, I would be certainly. So, why destroy artifacts of their memories?

The monument in question is to honor Confederate veterans who had tried to seize control from the Union reconstruction government in order to reinstitute their racial caste system. These same trash would have lynched those black Confederate vets, seeing only a black face to hate.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

In such cases, those black Confederate soldiers were either brought along with their masters, and put in uniform to perform services as back home for said masters, or they were promised their freedom...

(sigh) Reading Comprehension 101 would be good, here.....

Descendants of FREED slaves didn't HAVE masters----NOR, did they need to be "promised their freedom"! !

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 30 Apr 2017, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
EzraS wrote:

The monument in question is to honor Confederate veterans who had tried to seize control from the Union reconstruction government in order to reinstitute their racial caste system. These same trash would have lynched those black Confederate vets, seeing only a black face to hate.

The First Amendment to the Constitution for the United States of America applies to all people within the nation. I would no sooner try to prohibit another individual's association with like minded others than I would try to prohibit expressive art including statues. Now, may those who disagree with me have the ability to criticize me? Of course, but they haven't the right to restrict my speech because they merely disagree with me.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:49 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

In such cases, those black Confederate soldiers were either brought along with their masters, and put in uniform to perform services as back home for said masters, or they were promised their freedom...

(sigh) Reading Comprehension 101 would be good, here.....
Descendants of FREED slaves didn't HAVE masters----NOR, did they need to be "promised their freedom"! !

And, as the Civil War approached, more and more slave owners freed their slaves simply because the economy had shifted such that plantation slavery was too costly to operate. Freeing slaves was a quick and easy way to cut costs, even though many could be recaptured by other owners unless the freed slaves made it to free states. Some of the freed slaves took their freedom as an opportunity to improve their families, and many of them volunteered to serve the Confederacy. Many historians believe that slavery would have ended within some years after the Civil War even if it had never been waged. Even some of the Confederate generals didn't seem to care about slavery as much as they might have once cared.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The monument in question is to honor Confederate veterans who had tried to seize control from the Union reconstruction government...

Well, well, well----looky, here... I just searched / found-out that they were Democrats, and they were trying to overturn Republicans!!

Now, what was that saying, again? Oh, yeah: "Those who do not learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it"----can you say "November 9th, 2016 - present"; I know that you can.....