Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 4:23 pm

Misslizard wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
My daughter lives in Humbolt county,the air is awful.

Where at in Humboldt?
The air is awful. It's just insanely smoky. The other morning I woke up early and went to the store, I was kind of amazed at how thick the fog was. I knew it wasn't all fog, but couldn't really smell the smoke at the time. Later in the day the marine layer burned off and it seemed like it was maybe 20% fog and about 80% smoke. Burns my eyes to be out in it.

Eureka.The smoke even made it here.I had the creepy orange sun yesterday evening.
https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... o-arkansas

I believe Krakatoa had blotted out the sun all over the globe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 4:45 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
The air quality is poor, it’s so incredibly worse. People here can smell smoke in their houses, they can get sore throats, running nose, headaches, coughing, people with asthma having a harder time breathing. I seen alot of pics of mountains on fire, sooo much fire, it’s sooo sad, I’m depressed now. I wasn’t feeling well this morning, I been coughing since yesterday, I can smell some smoke too.
We're down here in Orange County, and the smoke and ash have been enough to trigger my asthma, but only if I go outside without a mask.

We have relatives along the 210 freeway ... so far, no one has called to ask for an emergency sleepover.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 5:15 pm

Misslizard wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?
The air is awful. It's just insanely smoky. The other morning I woke up early and went to the store, I was kind of amazed at how thick the fog was. I knew it wasn't all fog, but couldn't really smell the smoke at the time. Later in the day the marine layer burned off and it seemed like it was maybe 20% fog and about 80% smoke. Burns my eyes to be out in it.

Eureka.The smoke even made it here.I had the creepy orange sun yesterday evening.

Eka is the next town down from me.

Almost have blue sky today. Still pretty smoky, but I can at least see blue outside.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 6:32 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?

Made it all the way to New York. The sky was milky white instead of blue.

Eka is the next town down from me.

Almost have blue sky today. Still pretty smoky, but I can at least see blue outside.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:50 pm

My daughter's school district had cancelled school for today and tomorrow because of the bad air quality, and I suspect classes will be cancelled for the whole week.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 9:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?

Not sure about Krakatoa, but Mt. Tambora (also in what is now Indonesia) caused 1814 to be the "Year Without a Summer".

When I was 11, I remember the smoke from Pinatubo and the Kuwait oil well fires creating an unusually cool summer here. In Houston, lows in the 60s in the summer are considered unusual.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 9:31 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?

Not sure about Krakatoa, but Mt. Tambora (also in what is now Indonesia) caused 1814 to be the "Year Without a Summer".

When I was 11, I remember the smoke from Pinatubo and the Kuwait oil well fires creating an unusually cool summer here. In Houston, lows in the 60s in the summer are considered unusual.

When Mt. St. Helen erupted back when I was a kid, not only was the sun blotted out, but what everyone had initially taken as a snow storm (in spring) turned out to be volcanic ash. And that damn ash piled like snow, and was just as difficult to drive in.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 10:14 pm

Lunella wrote:
Ahh I like this. It's pretty much true. It's how I've felt for years just generally about western society. The UK doesn't fall far behind. Narcissism is a plague that is going to wreck this planet even more.

This is why I like going to Turkey/Morocco etc. Totally different way of life out there, far less narcissists. Generally more empathetic, people actually willing to help each other rather than compete.

thank you for acknowledging my post. these very fires are evidence of the earth's intentional destruction by narcissists.

thankfully, most people in my day-to-day life are kind and listen, even if i am unable to tell how genuine they really are.
when this illusion comes closest to breaking is when i am at work, at my service-industry job. i have a lot of feelings about how rude people can be to service/food workers and how they are seen as cogs. :(

anyway internet discourse has really gone down the shitter, if it was ever decent as all. it's easy to forget the human.
i'm glad if there are places you can go where the way of life is different..

Kraichgauer wrote:
The sky over the whole Spokane area is overcast. Not with clouds, but with smoke coming from fires north of here. My state seems to be literally going up in smoke.

i'm on vashon at the other side of the cascade range and it looks similar to that, too.

every morning i wake up, see the mass of grey blanketing everything and hope that it is at least a mixture of smoke and marine layer, hopefully mostly the latter. but why would it be anything good...

i took this picture on september 11 at lisabuela beach. it looked just like this today.

went to the park to read today. it was at the shore, and thankfully i could not smell smoke even though it was everywhere. which i assume is good.
ash has been very, very light here, if present at all which is a huge contrast against living santa barbara CA in late 2017, when the thomas fire was raging through santa barbara and ventura county.

ash fell like snow.

behold:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 10:35 pm

I wish I could have met a woman as poetic as what you wrote.

I like the scent of marine layers.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 10:54 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Lunella wrote:
Ahh I like this. It's pretty much true. It's how I've felt for years just generally about western society. The UK doesn't fall far behind. Narcissism is a plague that is going to wreck this planet even more.

This is why I like going to Turkey/Morocco etc. Totally different way of life out there, far less narcissists. Generally more empathetic, people actually willing to help each other rather than compete.

thank you for acknowledging my post. these very fires are evidence of the earth's intentional destruction by narcissists.

thankfully, most people in my day-to-day life are kind and listen, even if i am unable to tell how genuine they really are.
when this illusion comes closest to breaking is when i am at work, at my service-industry job. i have a lot of feelings about how rude people can be to service/food workers and how they are seen as cogs. :(

anyway internet discourse has really gone down the shitter, if it was ever decent as all. it's easy to forget the human.
i'm glad if there are places you can go where the way of life is different..

If you can once in your life visit that part of the world you totally should, you get treated so well. It massively changes your perception about being in a western society. There's tons of videos about it on YT where western people have gone over and been completely shell shocked at how nice it actually is.

Just thinking about it makes me wanna go back to Turkey/Morocco or Abu Dhabi/Dubai again.

I'm glad you have some good people in life - everyone needs that to get by.

I've never really seen service workers get treated too badly over here tbh, maybe that's more of an American thing? I have heard of it being quite bad over there. At least you have a job though - many people don't, especially now with Corona. :D

I think the illusion is already beginning to get smashed. Have you seen that new documentary on Netflix called the social dilemma? That basically exposes that social media in itself is one big massive narcissism tool. It's like we live in one weird Charlie Brooker dystopia.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm

Lunella wrote:
If you can once in your life visit that part of the world you totally should, you get treated so well. It massively changes your perception about being in a western society. There's tons of videos about it on YT where western people have gone over and been completely shell shocked at how nice it actually is.

Just thinking about it makes me wanna go back to Turkey/Morocco or Abu Dhabi/Dubai again.

I've never really seen service workers get treated too badly over here tbh, maybe that's more of an American thing? I have heard of it being quite bad over there. At least you have a job though - many people don't, especially now with Corona. :D

I think the illusion is already beginning to get smashed. Have you seen that new documentary on Netflix called the social dilemma? That basically exposes that social media in itself is one big massive narcissism tool. It's like we live in one weird Charlie Brooker dystopia.

Here in Australia last summer, we had the same sort of severity.
Acrid smoke,
Sun obscured,
And not only fine ash,
But half-burnt gum leaves in our yard.

BTW,
You really talk a lot about narcissism in your posts.
Simply an observation, Watson. 8)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 5:33 am

I was horrified by the burning in Australia last year. I sent a donation to one of the firefighter groups. All of the destruction was horrible there as it is here now in the NW USA. Nothing like a massive fire to reset one’s priorities.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:05 am

Pepe wrote:
Lunella wrote:

Here in Australia last summer, we had the same sort of severity.
Acrid smoke,
Sun obscured,
And not only fine ash,
But half-burnt gum leaves in our yard.

BTW,
You really talk a lot about narcissism in your posts.
Simply an observation, Watson. 8)

Yeah I'm studying it at the moment quite a lot because I feel like it's a really scary big problem the world has and like nobody really knows about it that much. It's helped me avoid a lot of bad people too because I've known about it.
It's like one of the core reasons why society is so messed up and how people just simply don't care about each other, because that behaviour makes people think it's ok to act like that because its cool or something and it's really not.

That's why I love these Muslim majority countries because narcissism hasn't completely trashed their society and they have rules to prevent it - the religion is so strict and has so many rules to follow they're basically shunned if they act like a dumb narcissist. Like showing off is considered haram (forbidden), the UK/America only show off and compete for attention... Even social media it's all how many likes they can get.

Dubai/Saudi has a lot of rich people and some seriously nice cars, but if they show off they're basically considered not a real Muslim, you're allowed to have the nice cars etc, you just aren't allowed to show off about it. When they have it and people ask how they can afford it they'll say things like "all thanks from the one above" in a grateful kind of way, none of this cause I'm better than you attitude that you see with a lot of the rich people over this way.

There is a massive difference in attitude and it's like when you're over there... this exists? People are actually being nice to each other on a large scale? wtf? Everyone always has to make something called a Zakat every year which is where you *have* to donate money, usually about 3% of their annual income to the sick or needy as like a rule. They're also not permitted to even sleep if someone homeless is in their area, they have to help that person and feed them.

From the copious amounts of research I've done it's probably one of the reasons Trump is so scared of the middle east, because it basically shows how modern western values are utter narcissistic trash and if people get wind of how much better life can be when people are nice to each other profits will basically dwindle on so many different things.

Like back in the 50's or so with western society there were a lot less nasty people and a hell of a lot less social problems where people don't talk anymore or visit each others families as much at all. Everyone is just randomly jealous of each other or because they hold different views they're not worth speaking to anymore because they think their views are better so there's a divide in basic communities.

Like one of the biggest things is the drinking, the UK has a serious problem with British drinking culture, we basically go on holiday all over Europe as a nation and trash all these countries because of all our young idiots that go on holiday, we're like hated because of it. I'm pretty sure the Spaniards despise us at this point. This is a huge narcissistic behaviour though, they only do it to compete and who can get the most drunk and loud or have the best banter/personality. Then it all goes on social media for even more showing off/competing.

Places like Dubai you'd be straight up arrested for that s**t because it's not normal there and considered totally haram lol. If you're Muslim drinking isn't a thing - because they knew from a very long time ago it's really bad and makes too many problems - which it clearly does.

That's why I'm always bemused when I go to Bradford town here, it's mostly just young Muslims in nice restaurants not drinking and just chatting and being social/nice to each other.

Obviously I don't have some massive obsession with us vs the middle east - it's just a crazily huge difference in cultures so it's great for narcissism research. And the middle east isn't perfect, no where is, but they are a hell of a lot nicer places to be than here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:18 am

I'm sitting here with a mask on, in my office, inside an air-conditioned building, 30+ miles from the nearest brushfire, and there is still enough smoke in the air that I have had to use my asthma inhaler twice in the last 20 minutes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:25 am

Fnord wrote:
I'm sitting here with a mask on, in my office, inside an air-conditioned building, 30+ miles from the nearest brushfire, and there is still enough smoke in the air that I have had to use my asthma inhaler twice in the last 20 minutes.

It was bad last summer over here too.
The smoke lasted for days and was really getting to me.

The drought seems to have broken here, so I don't think we are going to have the same trouble you guys are having.
The Last summer was a shocker.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:34 am

Lunella wrote:
Obviously I don't have some massive obsession with us vs the middle east - it's just a crazily huge difference in cultures so it's great for narcissism research. And the middle east isn't perfect, no where is, but they are a hell of a lot nicer places to be than here.

Are you and your husband planning to emigrate in the future?
Or just more holidays?