Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 2:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
the depiction of Texas and California teaming up totally ruins the whole premise for me.

I have yet to see it.

The scenarios of both The Day After[i]and [i]Threads leading up to nuclear war were plausible at the time. My first reaction to the illogical premise of The Civil War was like yours. Then I remembered that I rewatched The Day After and Threads and other cold war era nuclear apocalypse films in the wake of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Sure, the run ups to nuclear war are dated but that did not effect the power of those films I had seen at the time and those I was seeing for the first time.

But I am a baby boomer who does remember the cold war era deep fear that either I would go to sleep never to wake up or wake up to such an altered world that I wished I had not woken up. Those old films did bring those feelings right back. Younger generations have no internal memory of those times but do have plenty of current reasons for dread.

Those old films were message films. As nerve racking as the run up and nuke scenes were their true power was the aftermath of total nuclear war scenes. From what I'm have read Civil War centers on the reporters.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 4:32 am

Jib wrote:
I got out of seeing this movie in IMAX over an hour ago. I adored it and am convinced that it is Alex Garland's directorial opus magnum. It sucks he won't be directing anymore, but he is a gifted sci-fi screenplay writer and I wish him well in future projects.

I remember feeling broken after seeing Avengers: Infinity War, but this somber sensation I'm feeling now after Civil War rivals it. I would go as far as say that this movie is better than Oppenheimer, which also had an important message for our current society.

Regardless of political beliefs, I can't recommend this movie enough, no matter how controversial it may be!

10/10

Agreed! I saw it last night. Gripping, graphic, journalistic behaviour exposed in all it’s disturbing glory.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2024, 4:55 am

Can anyone comment who would fight who?

In my experience the US is very diverse, to have a war you need contiguous... something like ethnicity or ideology.
The US is like a hydra with many billionaires, private militias, govt agencies...

I don't think a civil war is feasible.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 9:02 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
Can anyone comment who would fight who?

In my experience the US is very diverse, to have a war you need contiguous... something like ethnicity or ideology.
The US is like a hydra with many billionaires, private militias, govt agencies...

I don't think a civil war is feasible.

Personally I think a modern Civil War in the US won't be anything like the first one which was divided between the north and south. It'll be much more chaotic with neighbor killing neighbor and a lot of domestic terror attacks happening all across the country. Because we all know it would mostly be a war between those who support Trumpism and those who don't.

I've read from other sources that say our modern civil war will resemble what happened during "The Troubles" of Ireland.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 10:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
"warning" or "message" entertainments seldom work out as their creators expected.

The Day After sure seems to have delivered it's message effectively to both the US and Soviet Union.

The Day After had the effect it did because it was very well done and aired in The United States. As good as The Day After was the British TV movie Threads that aired a year later was IMHO significantly more powerful. During that 1982-1984 period there was real fear a trigger happy Reagan was going to launch of world ending nuclear war. A pro Nuclear Freeze demonstration in New York drew 2 million easily toping the vaunted Vietnam era protests and we were bombarded with Nuclear Holocaust themed movies and songs.

Civil War is dropping on a very different country then the one The Day After did. I have no idea what effect it will have, or if it will have any effect. Also we don’t know if it is a message movie or an exploitative movie in the vain of The Hunt.

I have seen bits of that movie on Youtube and it does seem to be of high quality production.