Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2005, 5:25 pm

I can't believe nobody else has picked up on this yet:

Link Here to Sky News Article

Quote:
A teenager has been found guilty of the murder of a 10-year-old girl.

Kieron Smith, 18, was convicted of battering Lauren Pilkington-Smith to death by a jury at Liverpool Crown Court.

Quote:
Smith had been told he suffered from Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, but that illness was not presented as a defence by his legal team.

Link Here to Killer's Background

Quote:
Kieron Smith's reasons for murdering an innocent 10-year-old may never be known.

But clues to why he brutally battered Lauren Pilkington-Smith to death before defiling her body could lie in his background.

A loner with little education, no job and no friends his own age, Smith, 18, suffered from a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome.

The disorder can lead to eccentric, obsessive behaviour, and difficulties forming relationships and communicating with other people.

After leaving school at 13, Smith spent most of his life watching TV and films, using computer games and playing with family pets.

He had no friends his own age, but would venture outside after school hours to "play out" with children much younger than himself.

On the night of July 7, with the adult world reeling from the London terror bombings, he went outside to play with the youngsters.

Lauren was one of the children to join the 6ft 1in teenager's cricket game.

After she and Smith were left alone they went to a wooded area, where he launched his brutal attack, battering her about the head.

He then partly stripped her, shoved a sock in her mouth and stuck twigs up each of her nostrils.

There was no evidence of any sexual element to the attack, and medical experts said his autism did not excuse or explain it either.

The last line is re-assuring. I'd rather they'd not mention Asperger's at all if they don't think it is relevant, but at least they're not saying Asperger's = Murderers.

The BBC don't mention it on their website, although I know they did on their News Bulletins.

I hope someone isn't going to tell me he posted here as well!

We (Aspies) could really do without this negative press. My own wife said to me: "I'm worried, you seem unpredictable sometimes, I hope you wouldn't do something like this". I can understand where she's coming from, even if it enrages me to be faced with having to somehow prove I'm not the kind of person to do something like this.

Anymore of this and some cretins are going to start suggesting we get locked up or drugged up to make us safe. :cry:

It's not like as if other murder stories have the headline "shocking, this man killed someone and he wasn't autistic!".

On the same day there was a story about a guy who was obsessed with rich people and murdered a banker, I hope the murderer wasn't an Aspie too. He happens to be a black guy, thankfully we're mostly past the days when that'd be pointed out, as if it's significant. When will the media do the same for autism?

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2005, 5:29 pm

As an aside, because I didn't make myself clear, assuming the verdict is correct I'm glad they caught him and will lock him up for a very long time. I'm also sad that the family of that poor girl and the little girl herself suffered so much.

These things shouldn't happen. But it's no excuse to start making out all Aspies are potential murderers, because we're clearly not.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2005, 5:34 pm

As a further clarification (it's late and I'm tired!), I think the article was pretty fair, but they didn't really have to make such a big deal of the Asperger's.

I was more mad at my wife for making the link between scary aspie=scary behaviour, because if she's doing it, imagine what the people who know nothing about autism other than what they read in the papers are saying?

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 5:39 pm

eyeenteepee wrote:
But it's no excuse to start making out all Aspies are potential murderers, because we're clearly not.

I agree. Certainly, happy and well functioning aspies are just as humane as any other person. The intense loneliness and rejection could certainly play a role in these things ... but then again we have non aspies who become killers because of these issues as well.

Aspies may be far more suspectible to loneliness and rejection and such, but they certainly are not prone to turning into serial murders ... afaict an aspie who kills another person is rare.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2005, 5:49 pm

Larval wrote:
afaict an aspie who kills another person is rare.

You wouldn't know it from the news recently.

I'm trying to understand his acts from my own point of view...
I have a wicked temper but I know I will never cross that line. What he did seemed to come out of an objectification and disregard for humanity. I can see how that could be related to how us Aspies can see the world in logical, emotionless terms. However, his behaviour was far from logical either.
It confuses me as well as saddens me.

Even if you don't care about others or think such cruelty is meaningless in the grand scale of things, why would you do it? There is no point.

I need to stop before I start re-hashing all the Will Freund stuff again...but I do wonder if medication may have played a part in this..

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 7:36 pm

:?

I'm far more likely of protecting someone than I am of murdering them...

People (as a collective term) don't understand people who goes against what they consider normal, and they fear what they don't understand... They also love to group and stereotype... (Just look at US's prevailing opinion on Muslims)
To have a murderer who happens to have a mental "illness" is almost giving them two reasons to fear them, and all people with that mental "illness"
It's frustrating when I can be almost free of prejudice, but no one around me can be... :x

:: sighs ::

GA

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 9:10 pm

Hmm, I'm not so sure. We do seem to be prone to snapping and going off our rocker. I can recall a couple of occasions when I might have killed someone, had I not been pulled off them, after I've broken down. Reduced to the point where I was on the street choking my brother, chanting that he must die. But I do agree that it doesn't contribute to premeditated or deliberate murder, but it can contribute to killing someone.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 9:26 pm

Way to go Danlo... :?

Anyone ever read Ender's Game? I think, like Ender, in self defence Aspies can be pretty brutal...

GA

midge
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2005, 10:11 pm

It seems from what I've read about murderers and other violent criminals, their criminal nature most likely isn't directly linked with AS. Studies have come to show that murderers are often made rather than born (and even when born, it likely isn't related to AS), and that this happens a young age, before the traits of AS have much of an affect on a person (that is, before they reach school age). From birth through early childhood the brain is still developing, and when such a child is subjected to neglect, abuse, or other types of trauma, the brain stem-the part of the brain responsible for aggression and violence-develops and enlarges more than it would in a child who does not have the same experiences. I am not certain of this (I have a really good article on this subject but don't have it on me unfortunately) but I think it has a negative impact on the growth and development of the prefrontal cortex (the part of the brain responsible for our inhibitions and controlling our actions) as well, which, in combination with the enlarged brain stem, will end up being quite a dangerous brain structure. This will affect the child throughout their childhood-they'll often start fires, demonstrate cruelty to animals and other children, and become bed-wetters (in fact, these three traits are what is known as the homicidal triad because they are strong signs of a predisposition for violent crime). Issues such as difficulty in relationships, difficulty in work, negative experiences with people, violent games etc. can exacerbate things by acting as "triggers" for violent behavior or contributing to the obsessive fantasies many killers have (and this obsessiveness is common among many violent criminals regardless of whether or not they have AS, and is therefore probably not directly related, although the obsessiveness that can come with AS could make it worse) but if the person who experiences these things acts violently, chances are the damage was done long before that, when they were small children. I know I kind of rambled on here :oops: but I guess what I'm saying is that from what we know of violent criminals it isn't really accurate to link AS with violent acts such as murder and doing so not only has the potential to deeply hurt the AS community, but it detracts from the real issues and the real causes for violent behavior which is what we should be focusing on to prevent such tragedies from ever occuring. I really think that this type of thing is preventable and that knowledge of why violent criminals become the way they are and how we can stop it can and will save lives.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 10:25 pm

Meh, the media is always going to mention autism if it's there cause it makes a better news story. Just like they will continue to mention Schizophrenia, Bipolar, a cleft-lip, or even two-left feet.

:roll: People want all the juicy crud and someone with autism killing another person is juicier than just a faceless person without anything like autism killing a person. And so the media gives 'em what they want.

We blame the media (I know I do for providing such things 24/7), but if they didn't get results (i.e., the people didn't want to see that kinda stuff) they would use different tactics and show something else. Whatever gets them the ratings. Sigh.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2005, 11:36 pm

I myself could completely snap if the right person(s) said/did the right thing(s). My guess is the girl made him snap and he basically had a murderous tantrum. Logic gets really distorted when you're past your breaking point. I agree with the thought of extreme lonliness making you more likely to become violent, but this seems too simple. I don't know if she really be put in jail, perhaps a psych ward would be more approriate? Anyone who kills a 10 year old for no apparent reason needs to see a shrink.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2005, 5:27 am

People on the autistic spectrum who may harbor homocidal or other deviant thoughts may be comforted by a story such as this to know they are not alone in having these feelings. In reading the backround of this young man, we cannot make any sure deductions, but it's not far-fetched to think his autism was a primary cause of his leaving school at a young age and journey into fantastic isolation, which may have led to this incident. That seemed obvious to me anyhow.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2005, 7:02 am

but why the twigs up the nose?...I mean,what the hell is that about?

and did someone see him do these things or did he admit it

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2005, 11:06 am

I agree with those who said it's possibly related to his AS. If I snap I SNAP!!, not just snap, so if I cross the line where my emotions overwhelm my ability to see straight it could be murder instead of a b***h fight because of the inability to balance emotions analoguously like NTs apparently find it easier to do, and also, with the inability to cope with people and still a crave for social contact like he must've had since he hung out with them, any negative thought he gets may be harder to forget since it's easier to repeat unacceptable things in ones head with AS unless one has someone else to talk to, but is instead dragged deeper down and get more and more confirmation of the negative aspect one has. If no one understands him, it's understandable he'd have a very negative view of people and where a bad situation can lead if it's not stopped. It could've been panic when he reacted and after that all the years of aggression came out and he mutilated her as well.
And lastly, to my mind it's always been why someone does something much rather than what someone does that matters. Is that an aspie treat? In that case that's another argument.
But on the other hand, it seems like I have a block, that no matter how angry I get I can't hurt someone permanently, like breaking a bone or damaging an eye or something like that, but simply scare the person from never doing that again so I don't have to worry about it. It would take a lot to cross that line indeed.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 11:50 am

I have a similar safety guard as Malaclypse. I will say pretty much anything verbally abusive (unfortunately) but generally avoid "getting physical," which is not only good in and of itself but good because I'd lose almost any fight, I think.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:17 pm

He 'left' school at 13? As in, dropped out? Had no job, and just played games and watched TV most of the time?

WHERE WERE THE F***ING PARENTS?? 8O 8O

A little off topic, I know, since it probably has nothing to do with his motive to kill. But that just blows my mind.

I do agree that his AS could have lead to loneliness and depression if he didn't seek help or try to help himself. And that, in turn, could play a mere factor in what he did.