Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 8:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Actually, I agree that AIs would be best suited for interstellar travel.

...and then I wonder whether, even if they found Earth, whether they would want to communicate with humans. From their standpoint we'd be part of the primordial slime that artifically intelligent machine life will crawl out of

Actually the greys (the most commonly encountered alien) are considered a type of AI based biological life form. I'm not sure if you have watched Ridley Scott's Prometheus, but the AI android named David is able to operate the ship over light years while the ship's crew is in cryogenic stasis. David could operate and self-repair himself over thousands of years if necessary.
Sigh. Neither Engineers nor David needed to communicate with us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:02 pm

Double Retired wrote:

I never did quite understand why the engineers needed to terminate all biological life on earth? like wiping the slate clean. The alien abduction phenomena there's a common theme of people reporting alien-human hybrids who are purported to being bred to replace us (another version of the great replacement theory :lol: )

There is of course the pervading view we are the products of genetic tinkering from thousands of millennia ago. There remains a lot of unanswered questions about human evolution.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 10:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I never did quite understand why the engineers needed to terminate all biological life on earth? like wiping the slate clean. The alien abduction phenomena there's a common theme of people reporting alien-human hybrids who are purported to being bred to replace us (another version of the great replacement theory :lol: )

There is of course the pervading view we are the products of genetic tinkering from thousands of millennia ago. There remains a lot of unanswered questions about human evolution.
I guess I didn't see it as them terminating all biological life on Earth, just as adding one more kind. But, heck, why the heck was the best way to do that to completely tear apart the Engineer responsible for the job?!

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:27 pm

Just watch MIB. It is a documentary.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:09 pm

Fenn wrote:
Just watch MIB. It is a documentary.

A famous quote from the legendary Sci fi writer Arthur C Clarke about alien worlds
"This Is Only a Work of Fiction. The Truth, As Always, Will Be Far Stranger"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:12 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I guess I didn't see it as them terminating all biological life on Earth, just as adding one more kind. But, heck, why the heck was the best way to do that to completely tear apart the Engineer responsible for the job?!

Ridley Scott called them engineers for a reason. They even tested the spores on themselves. They knew what they were doing.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Ridley Scott called them engineers for a reason. They even tested the spores on themselves. They knew what they were doing.
I wish the movie had made it clearer to me. It looked to me like the Engineer was contaminating Earth by committing suicide.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I wish the movie had made it clearer to me. It looked to me like the Engineer was contaminating Earth by committing suicide.

Yeah, admittedly I had to watch the move three times before it became apparent what the engineer was actually intending. Also the planet wasn't earth.

There was some poetic justice in the end (spoiler alert) when David released the spores over the Engineer's planet wiping them out. For such an advanced species they seemed a little barbaric and aggressive, with elements of Greco-Roman architecture. My favourite aspect of the movies is the use of Geiger's artwork which adds a dark creepy backdrop.