Gordon Brown urges to keep Asperger's hacker in the UK

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 12:33 am

"Hacked" or "strolled in", can this man really expect a fair and reasonable trial in the US, or is this an RIAA style showtrial?

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Dec 2008, 7:29 am

so, lets see, ruins the military computers as soon as 9/11 takes place, i don't think that has anything to do with ufo's, and spergers does not take away your free will. Sounds like he was a part of the 9/11 plot

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:31 am

nodice1996 wrote:
so, lets see, ruins the military computers as soon as 9/11 takes place, i don't think that has anything to do with ufo's, and spergers does not take away your free will. Sounds like he was a part of the 9/11 plot

Because the Pentagon's computer network was so useful in predicting and halting the 9/11 attacks..... Maybe, just maybe, the computers at the Pentagon were a bit ropey BECAUSE SOMEONE FLEW A PLANE INTO IT. Just a thought. Is it possible that that sort of thing might disrupt an internal network just a smidge?

I think its more like the US using that damn event as an excuse to do whatever they please to whoever they please, regardless of jurisdiction or sovereignty.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:44 am

ed wrote:
...This kid is a terrorist, even if he's not Muslim :lol:
Timothy McVeigh wasn't a muslim. The Irish republicans who bombed my hometown weren't muslims.

I'm muslim. I'm not a terrorist.

Islam, the religion, the root of the word in Arabic comes from the letters S L M - peace, salam. I would argue that 'muslim' terrorists aren't really muslims, because the killing of all those civilians is unIslamic.

:roll: Seriously dude, think before you speak, and maybe get yourself a bit better informed and educated.

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:13 am

pakled wrote:
...If two nations have extradition treaties with each other, the each can require the other to produce anyone who has committed a crime against them. I presume that the UK and US have such a treaty. ...
The problem is that at the time the alleged offences were committed, there was a treaty in force that required the US to provide proof of allegations.

That treaty was subsequently replaced with a different one *after* the alleged offences were committed. And the *new* treaty between the US and the UK does not require the US authorities to provide any evidence to support their allegations. They just have to say there are allegations. And they don't have to provide any proof of damage, although they have conveniently come up with (made up?) amounts for damage which neatly coincide with a threshold for charges or prosecution or some other neat technicality. Gary McKinnon has previously admitted accessing some of their systems, but he has always denied doing any damage.

Also, it's my understanding that he made those admissions while being questioned by British police officers, who interviewed him without a lawyer present, and while they were threatening to return to his girlfriend's house and pick up/arrest his girlfriend's teenage cousin, unless he 'cooperated' with them. He basically 'confessed' while under duress, which in many courts and legal systems would make such 'evidence' tainted and therefore inadmissable.

And the extradition treaty, which was signed after the alleged offences were committed was applied retroactively. So at the time the alleged offences were alleged committed the treaty was not in force and he could not have been extradited. It was only because they changed the law to make it possible.

There's that saying there's no point closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. But that's exactly what they did and are doing, in legal terms. And it's not even like they simply rounded up and dragged the horse back to the stable and locked it up. What they did in terms of making the extradition treaty retroactive is to turn back the clock to before the horse had bolted. What they've done is to say, hey, horse, we know that stable door was open and you walked through it. But we're turning the clocks back and closing the door so that we can really punish you and throw the book at you for walking through it when you did.

And also the extradition treaty is one-sided and not reciprocal, so basically, the US can say to the UK, hey, hand over your horses because we're telling you they did something wrong, we're not giving you any proof, any evidence that they've done something wrong, you've just got to hand over your horses. And if any of our American horses ever do anything wrong, you can't have them, we're not handing them over to you.

This case is just *wrong* on so many levels. Extracting a 'confession' through coercion, changing the law to make the extradition treaty retroactive, the UK signing up to a one-sided treaty that isn't reciprocal on both parties, the UK signing up to a treaty that doesn't require the US to who any proof or evidence to support their allegations, the US making up random amounts for 'damages' that neatly allow the case to be pursued, the determination on the part of the US to make out that some stoned UFO-hunter who walked into non-protected systems without passwords and firewalls, is somehow public enemy number 1 cyber-terrorist - when in actual fact, he was *stoned* he was *looking for proof of UFOs* he was doing it *using a dial-up connection from his girlfriend's bedroom, not using terribly sophisticated techniques* and he *let the US authorities know their security sucked, so they should just be thankful it was a stoned UFO-hunting geek who was in their systems, and not a 'real' terrorist*.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:18 pm

Englishlulu is spot on. The whole thing is a yank-base stitchup and stickwaving. Politically we should tell them to stick it up their collective arses and hire better white-hats.

Its like a nation of Cartman .. "I'm American.. I do what I like..."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm

sigh...

before the case can go to trial, there are preliminary hearings to establish whether is case enough for the extradition. SInce no one has moved him to the airport, I'd say there's still a lack of evidence.

It's fine by me if they try him in the UK. I don't know where he falls on the spectrum, possibly they're going by 'not guilty by reason of insanity' plea.

I think the US government overplayed its hand on this, as so many cases since '01 have done. Considering the damage a certain president has done, I doubt any European nation would extradite a single person for a traffic violation, even if the penalty was a slap on the wrist.

Just wait until the 20th. We're going to clean the Justice department, top to bottom. Already, they're going through the Presidential signing statements, and the vast majority are going to be repealed. Maybe we'll even shut down Camp X-ray. Good things are coming. We're back, the real Americans...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 6:09 am

I feel as if we cannot judge this man by the news reports, having not met him. Just because he is capable of hacking into a website doesn't mean he is really high functioning. I have a lot of 'gifts and talents' but that doesn't mean I always know right from wrong or whether I am breaking the law (although I don't think I usually do this...). Maybe the guy was just looking for UFO information, the subject which interests him. Maybe he didn't consider that what he was doing was illegal, after all how many people (who don't have AS) download MP3 files and movies without permission? You got to understand that we are all different even with the same 'label'.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:34 am

Macbeth wrote:
nodice1996 wrote:

Because the Pentagon's computer network was so useful in predicting and halting the 9/11 attacks..... Maybe, just maybe, the computers at the Pentagon were a bit ropey BECAUSE SOMEONE FLEW A PLANE INTO IT. Just a thought. Is it possible that that sort of thing might disrupt an internal network just a smidge?

I think its more like the US using that damn event as an excuse to do whatever they please to whoever they please, regardless of jurisdiction or sovereignty.

Exactly!

Plus, the government set-up 9/11 in the first place for just this reason! So they can use it as a excuse to put hackers in prison for 70 years etc.

There is also the case of weather or not this guy actually hacked anything, he claimed there where no firewalls or anything, if this is true then its not hacking... Just like how that other guy hacked Palin's e-mail, it was her fault for having such stupid and pathetic password recovery questions!