Brazilian military police raid Rio de Janeiro's favelas

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 6:01 pm

While everyone is talking about North Korea...

Quote:
Brazilian military police raid Rio de Janeiro's favelas

Heavily armed officers exchange gunfire with suspected drugs gangs during a fifth day of violence in Brazil's second largest city

Military police raided favelas in Brazil's second largest city yesterday, exchanging gunfire with suspected drugs gangs during a fifth day of violence.

Heavily armed officers and armoured cars targeted the hillside shantytowns on the city's outskirts, including the Vila Cruzeiro slum in the north, considered the stronghold of a gang thought to be behind a number of attacks.

At least 10 armoured marine vehicles, never before used in battles in the city's favelas, transported soldiers into Vila Cruzeiro, where barriers were erected by gangs and television pictures showed smoke rising from the shell of a bus.

Colonel Alvaro Rodrigues, head of the military police operation, said: "Our goal today is to take back ground from the drug traffickers. We're taking it back and rescuing society from its position as a hostage to the drug trade."

The violence began on Sunday as police stations and vehicles were attacked by gang members, reports said. Authorities blamed the assaults on orders from imprisoned gang members angry at police efforts to take control of their turf in more than a dozen favelas.

At least 30 people have been killed in this week's violence, according to the military police. Among those was a 14-year-old girl hit on Wednesday by a stray bullet. She died in hospital.

Colonel Carlos Chagas, commander of the marine battalion, said: "We have no deadline to stop operations. We're going to continue giving logistical support … for as long as is needed."

Rio is among the Brazilian cities that will host the 2014 World Cup. Last year it was awarded the 2016 Olympics. But the city, home to 6 million people, has a history of violence and poverty that contradicts the image it would prefer to project, of beaches and colourful parties.

Last year, gang members shot down a police helicopter, sparking raids and violence that killed 30 people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... de-janeiro

Elite Squadron of the police enters shanty town

Navy Armoured personnel carrier

Military gathering before operation

Policemen enter armored carrier

Elite squad policemen

Burned truck

Andre_br
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2010, 7:08 pm

The situation is ugly, but the majority of the population support it. Indeed, when the soldiers arrived at one location today people in that comunity applauded and cheered at them. We can't take anymore, those thugs have grown too audatious. I'm brazilian and I think it was about time. My only complain is why did they, the authorities, took so long to react this decisively?

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 7:17 pm

They have been trying to contain it for years as i've been informed by documentries, now the whole armada shows up to vaporize the problem.

I think it has all to do with the 2014 World Cup AND the 2016 olympics - regulations and civil safety.

Two for the money.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 7:57 pm

I don't get why you get NK into this.

The drug deales at the fabelas are dangerous people, with no regards for the safety of the people in the fabelas. Are committing countless crimes and have really no redeeming qualities. Are too tough to be sent just simple police squads. The government had two choices:
- Legalize drugs: This would kill the drug dealer's business model, and eventually remove them. Although very effective, I bet you that if a country did that, he would get punished by the "international community" because they are idiots like that.
- Send in the tanks.

Option b was the dirtiest but the most viable. I would have prefered option a but that's way too difficult because of the risk of other countries penalizing them.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Holland has ever had problems with the international community.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 10:20 am

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Holland has ever had problems with the international community.

Problems with the international community? I think you are going way off-topic here but ok.
Holland has had a history of mainly physical conflict with the international community in the time up until the beginning of the Second World War(link).

Recent problems are more on legislation with the EU and political pressure on the war on terror and participation in it (Afghanistan up until recently).

It used to be more physical pressure now it is more a psychological pressure.