Gen y too lazy and unfocused to hire.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 8:34 pm

http://www.news.com.au/business/gen-y-too-lazy-and-unfocused-to-hire-bosses/story-e6frfm1i-1225827302507

well, im at the point now where im gonna have to give the later generations a piece of my f*****g mind for lumping EVERYONE 20-30 together. no wonder i dont get hired, because of the f*****g ignorance of the older folks. We arent the ones who need to change. They are the ones who need to realize the world is changing and we arent going to stop challenging their ways that need to catch up with the times. They are too afraid of change is what they are. Its not because of unprofessionalism and s**t, its because of reverse age-ism. Im getting more and more sick of the older folks.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 4:19 am

I get what u mean. There are good and bad staff in all age groups.
U can't seriously think that just because someone is between 20-30 that they are lazy and unprofessional.

I remember when all the young staff (including me) were herded into an office and given a lecture about having to be more professional about the way files were maintained and s*&t like that. the thing is there were staff in there that were perfectly good staff and weren't guilty of those accusations.

it especially bugged me because we were told off over untidy files and one of the solicitors(referred to as an attorney or lawyer depending where u are) (a 40 year old man who is no longer there) messed the files up ALL THE TIME.
seriously we can't spend all our time cleaning up after people.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 4:21 am

This is about Australia, in America they are bearing the brunt of unemployment. About 50% of the age group.

The transition from school to work is hard for some, they still live with their parents who have provided everything, and getting a degree, they think a job should come with it.

The jobs they want do not exist, and social networking should be done on your own time.

First they want way too much money, then no one taught them that companies hire people who produce income for the company.

Education does not prepare them, for the teachers mostly have never held a job outside teaching.

In a Master's level business course, I read that International Business, was business between two countries. This kind of knowledge will get you an MBA.

They do not know they were vaugly prepared to learn on the job, they have a degree, and will tell their boss what to do.

Why would anyone want them? Most of us would blame permissive parenting of the 90's, which is to say no parenting, They are nothing but old and spoiled children, and not my problem.

We have had a war going for eight years, finishing school for many.

Trying to direct them into becoming workers, they will do something like let the air out of your tires.

Just a few of these and company policy becomes hire those who have past thirty.

So you say we have to change to adapt to the new crop?

Start your own company.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 6:35 am

Pfft... I couldn't be bothered reading all that and the other thing about Jesus is that he freed the slaves.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:01 am

It's all a big hype from my generation (sigh...yeah...I'm a boomer...only by birth...;)

Managers have played no favorites in firing people, but most of them are 50 and over (at least in NC...50 is the new 65).
A lot of them tell themselves that they'll have to be taken back because they're better at communication and spelling. What they forget is 20-30-year-olds are a lot cheaper than people with that dreaded affliction, experience.

I work with all age groups where I am, and don't really make any distinction between ages...it's a pity that more people don't.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

pakled wrote:
It's all a big hype from my generation (sigh...yeah...I'm a boomer...only by birth...;)

Managers have played no favorites in firing people, but most of them are 50 and over (at least in NC...50 is the new 65).
A lot of them tell themselves that they'll have to be taken back because they're better at communication and spelling. What they forget is 20-30-year-olds are a lot cheaper than people with that dreaded affliction, experience.

I work with all age groups where I am, and don't really make any distinction between ages...it's a pity that more people don't.

You get my respect for that, people need to work together, they shouldnt be blaming age groups/races/genders and stuff.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 1:49 am

All I have to say is that if an employer passes on me, a student at one of the best universities in the entire nation (with a top 25 MBA program), because of my age, I would be glad I wasn't going to be working for such a short-sighted company.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 4:00 pm

I have too hard a time remembering my own age to stereotype other people's.